Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (all engine sizes)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Have you looked under the front of your 2011 EB yet?

Here are some pics of the underside of my engine and tranny.
Click the image to open in full size.
Not sure why all of this cover! Makes an oil change interesting, but actually fairly easy.

2014 F150 STX

Jim, Fl. Chapter Leader"Army Vet. and American for Life"
View my Gallery here- or http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/me...lorer+xlt.html
Join the
Florida Chapter Here
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Junior User

3bands is starting off with a positive reputation.
THe front of mine in front of that skid plate has a big plastic skid plate also that is in the way.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mine is a 4X2, any idea why all of these pans covering everything? Has to trap heat, but also keep out water!

2014 F150 STX

Join the
Florida Chapter Here
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Elder User

djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel mileage! less wind resistance just like Nascar

2003 CC/SB/4X4 6.0 LARIAT 3.5 leveling kit by fab tech, 08 taillights and bumper, bocar front bumper, 05harley headlights, egr delete by ME. Auber egt, trans,fuel pressure gauges.
2011 F550,vmac compressor,Tiger 5000lb Crane, 11.5 Brutus service Body http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ice-truck.html
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Looks like it makes it a real PITA to work on from underneath. Would have been nice if Ford didn't tree clip the rubber to the pan so it is easier to remove. Those clips are basically a use once and throw away deal. Plates look too thin to block anything but small gravel and wind. So I agree djanzen. If you live in the snowy states it would probably be a good idea to pull the plates each spring for cleaning.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Elder User

djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
it might be for wind noise reduction also?

2003 CC/SB/4X4 6.0 LARIAT 3.5 leveling kit by fab tech, 08 taillights and bumper, bocar front bumper, 05harley headlights, egr delete by ME. Auber egt, trans,fuel pressure gauges.
2011 F550,vmac compressor,Tiger 5000lb Crane, 11.5 Brutus service Body http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ice-truck.html
Old 04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Junior User

sewhalen35 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It looks like there is a "flap" in the middle front of the plate. Is that so you can get to the oil filter?

Also, I've read in the 2009+ F150 forum that guys are having issues with water and mud getting into the alternator since it is mounted on the bottom front of the engine. Wonder if this was a fix for protecting the alternator???

Does all the EB have this? If not, wonder when they started addding it and if the earlier EBs will get a recall notice to have it added? Is it on the 5.0 or 6.2?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Senior User

drh1175 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No kidding. I was looking under mine I figured out how to get to the Oil drain plug it is just behind the galvanized plate that is covered by the soft fiber one. Can you get to the filter through the galvanized door held by those clips? Wonder how long those will last?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:12 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

The filter is accessible through the rubber flap in the front of the metal pan, one side of the rubber is held in with the twist clips and opens right up to reach in and get the filter. There is also a built in drain tray which funnels the oil out to the front. Caution loosen the filter slowly and let it drain slowly, if you twist it off fast the tray will overflow and you have a real mess inside the pans! Other than that an oil change is fairly easy!

2014 F150 STX

Join the
Florida Chapter Here
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
I'm guessing the plates help with wind resistance for EPA mileage purposes, keep salt spray off the engine, trans, and associated parts to help avoid corrosion of steel parts, keep slush and ice water off the turbos, etc.

Looks like a nice job on Ford's part. I'm sure those plates cost a few bucks, so they would not put them on if there was not a good reason.

Edit--I remember reading that the EB turbos and exhaust system run hot, looked it up, and noted that max operating temp of the turbos is 1740 degrees F. Yes that's 1740 degrees. Imagine hitting those turbos and exhaust manifolds with a giant splash from a puddle of salty slush that is below freezing temp. This makes me think of the term "thermal shock"... Plus I can imagine setting a field of tall grass on fire pretty easily.

George
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Never thought of the whole grass fire thing!
I ran this thing at 70 mph for many hrs this past week (2200 miles, Pittsburgh, Pa and back to Florida) and the temp gauges were just fine, and absolutely no problem with cabin heat either. What a fun truck to drive!

2014 F150 STX

Join the
Florida Chapter Here
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

I gave her, her first oil change in Pittsburgh (DIY) before returning back to Florida.

2014 F150 STX

Join the
Florida Chapter Here
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (all engine sizes)

Tags
2011, 35, 35l, change, diy, drain, ecoboost, f150, ford, forum, oil, plate, removal, skid, v6