1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MONAVIERONJON
Does the Diamond Eye DP require any modification or would it be installed as received pertaining to the length compared to the OEM length?Assuming using the remaining exhaust system as a bolt on install.Just wonderin for when mine shows up here soon.THnkx
Should bolt up to your stock exhaust... Just going to take up some time to line up and get it to come together.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD
Thanks, I'll keep at it!
I used a 4 ton porta power when I did the down pipe in the white truck, what I found was it would start to bend the firewall in, but if I kept cranking on it the porta power was just smashing the rubber body mounts and lifting the cab. I ended up using some 2x4's as spacers and standing on the handle of the porta power and REALLY cranking on it. I'd hesitate to say I got enough room for a 3.5" down pipe but I did get the firewall to move some.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I used a 4 ton porta power when I did the down pipe in the white truck, what I found was it would start to bend the firewall in, but if I kept cranking on it the porta power was just smashing the rubber body mounts and lifting the cab. I ended up using some 2x4's as spacers and standing on the handle of the porta power and REALLY cranking on it. I'd hesitate to say I got enough room for a 3.5" down pipe but I did get the firewall to move some.
It's amazing how much bigger the 3 1/2" pipe is than the 3". It's only 1/2" larger in diameter, but it's 36% larger (7.069 square inches vs. 9.621 square inches).
I broke the porta power, bent the 2" heavy walled 6' pipe, bent the 6' landscaping digging bar... I can get the 3 1/2" pipe in now, but I know it's going to rub so I raised the white flag and have a 3" DP on the way. I was getting nervous that I was going to break something important!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD
I broke the porta power, bent the 2" heavy walled 6' pipe, bent the 6' landscaping digging bar... I can get the 3 1/2" pipe in now, but I know it's going to rub so I raised the white flag and have a 3" DP on the way. I was getting nervous that I was going to break something important!
Well at least you didn't give up before going all out! I tried the landscape digging bar too... that was a waste of time.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I realize that I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but is there room to get a BFH in there to smash the firewall back if the transmission is out? Also, I'm looking at downpipes. Is there any perceivable advantage to getting stainless as opposed to aluminized? Also, which downpipe kits do you guys recommend? So far in this thread, it looks like the two piece ones are recommended.

I'm looking at this one: Riffraff Diesel: Diamond Eye 3" Aluminized Downpipe

I'm not going to bolt the new downpipe up to the stock exhaust at all. Will that little flange thing get in the way at all?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 AM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
Performed the firewall work with the cab off the frame and then installed the diamond eye 3" with cab in position.The dp lined up remarkably well and the fact that it is a two piece provides more ease in positioning it and lining it up as both halves can be twisted from side to side for clearance concerns unique to your truck.Def do the EBPV delete also since there isn't much room to work with.Time for install for the dp about 20 minutes,everything lines up perfectly.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the diamond eye you have listed there. It was super easy to do. It is made to be secured to the cat. I'm not sure how to address installation otherwise

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

I just read on another source for the same downpipe to just cut the flange off if you don't have a cat. Good deal.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
mine already had the cat removed and actually had the aftermarket exhaust from behind the downpipe to the tailpipe without a cat........strange,although the had the OEm flange end bolted up by the OEm downpipe so unless ur certain of the exhaust install,might hold off for a little while.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

I already cut off all of the stock exhaust downstream of the downpipe. My exhaust was entirely stock when I got it. I want to redo the whole thing, and there will be no flange and no cat there.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User
I followed some DP threads on here....I sawzall the pinch / cab flange and that seems to work good for me as the Porta -Power bent the rest...But having the two piece DP " oiled" a little help twist adjust for final clearance...No issues yet.