Sponsored by:

1988 5.0 with lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Ford300i607
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 5.0 with lack of power

Im in the process of fixing up my eighty eight fullsize bronco im not sure what is exactly wrong but it seems to have no low end to it i have given it a full tune up and replaced the cracked manifold with shorties. other than that there are no issues but my check engine lights flashes quiet frequently only when its warmed up and with my foot on the throttle while driving. I have an old otc scanner which brought up a code 44 which my booklet said was for the thermastor pump i know all the air lines are connected as well as vaccumn lines but im not sure what to look for next to fix it and i also dont know if it may be related to my lack of power . there is a chance its just not that strong considering im turning 31's with only 3.55's but i would assume it would have pick up to it any suggestions?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Which engine? Code 44 is a Thermactor fault code. Make certain ALL of the vacuum lines to and from the diverter valve (behind the passenger side of the engine) are in good order and not cracked. If they are and they are routed properly, you can test the TAB and TAD solenoids for proper operation.

Once you have cleared up Code 44 you might check base timing as well. You must warm the engine to normal operating temperature, pull the SPOUT connector and check timing with the engine idling and a timing light. Typical base timing is 8-10º BTDC but check the "Catalyst" decal under the hood to be sure. Once you have reset base timing, shut the truck off and disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. Put the SPOUT connector back and reconnect the battery. Take the truck for a drive and see if things improve over the next 15-30 minutes.

Thermactor system includes: Air pump (smog pump), the hoses and associated plumbing, the diverter valve and the TAB and TAD solenoids.

TAB solenoid (Thermactor Air Bypass)

TAD solenoid (Thermactor Air Diverter)

SPOUT (SPark OUTput) is a signal generated by the TFI/ICM that triggers the spark timing. ITs controlled by the main computer and a few other sensors.

TFI/ICM (Thick Film Integrated Circuit Module) is a grey (in some cases black and if so let us know NOW if yours is) plastic module mounted to the side of the distributor. that interprets and generates SPOUT signal.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Ford300i607
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a 302 and thanks for your information. I will check those vacumn lines after work tomorrow do you think this could attribute to a lack of low end