1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8hr Spark Plug Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
bapoptosis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 8hr Spark Plug Change

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking and reading here for some time. It was a sad day when i had to sell my ranger to make room for the second child. Bought an SUV, but really missed/wanted a truck. Over several months I looked for cheap trucks, and rather quickly found the f250's were cheaper and more dependable than the smaller trucks. I settled on a 1999 F250 5.4L with a service body.

The price was right, but as soon as I got it up to speed (on the way home after purchasing it) I noticed it shimmied and shook something awful at lower rpm. Would plod along fine, but as soon as I encountered a hill, it shook. Thanks to FTE, I figured I needed new plugs. Also thanks to the info on this site, I payed only about $35 (at first) for the plugs and not $300 at a dealership.

Plug 1, easy. Plug #2 just as easy. Plug #3 not coming out. Fidget with it for a little, still not coming. Obviously the socket is obstructed by something rubber. Can't find my mirror and when I did, I couldn't actually see the plug. Pretty frustrating when you are completely bent over an engine. Off to Sears to get a pick set to try to "grab" the rubber piece. After about 30min, I grab like half an old COP out. Try the socket and still, ain't making contact. Off I go again to the local Harbor Freight to get better nozzles for my air compressor. Finally get it out.

Everything goes OK until #7 which had some issues getting the COP off. Then I had to run out to Home Depot to get a 7mm (or was it 8mm) wrench to get the #8 COP off.

So, plugs are changed and the truck runs great. However, it was amazing the amount of tools it took just to change the plugs. 1/4 drive, 3/8 drive, wrenches, lots of extensions, U-joints, etc. I had a pile of tools to clean up.

So here's a big Thank You to this sight. I've never really done anything to vehicles other than change the oil. I had a couple of set backs, but the plugs are changed.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Just think of it this way. You actually got the tools for free by doing it yourself rather than taking it to the dealer that would have charged you $300. Now you own these tools AND could change the spark plugs again on your F250 as well as another vehicle you have. The savings just keeps compounding.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:23 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on getting it done. I changed my plugs a few months back, and I had a pile of tools too. Luckely for me, I already had the tools. The more work you can do yourself, the better off you are. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bapoptosis
So here's a big Thank You to this sight. I've never really done anything to vehicles other than change the oil. I had a couple of set backs, but the plugs are changed.
Congrats on your purchase and on your accomplishment!

Now, where's the pics?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
I just did a full day plug change on my 6.0L Powerstroke. Most of the time was in finding the spark plugs, but once that was out of the way I was done!

I have found that the actual socket tool (the kind with the socket on the end of a wobble extension) is a huge time saver. Has a magnet that keeps the plug on the end of the socket, so the plug pulls out with the tool. Congrats on doing it yourself!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:07 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
I just did a full day plug change on my 6.0L Powerstroke.
Engine oil drain plug?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Engine oil drain plug?
Lol, nope... those are easy on the 6.0L! Changing the oil is about three minutes of work and thirty minutes of draining.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 AM
BolognaBlake
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
TennesseeMustangPerf,

I've got a Mercedes 300d you need to change the spark plugs on too.

I just can't find the darn things...

Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 AM
bapoptosis
New User
It's funny how I think about buying the correct tools and doing the maintenance myself for cheaper is the right thing to do. But it's hard as all get out to have to validate it with the wife. Any suggestions?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I don't think anybody can help ya there brother. I am lucky I went to school to be a mechanic so I have a good selection of tools. But everytime I tell the wife that I want to buy this cause it would make it faster I get that " but you can do it with the tools you have right ??" speech. If you find a way around that let me know. I just go on the it's easier to beg for forgiveness then as permission.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Originally Posted by jh818
Just think of it this way. You actually got the tools for free by doing it yourself rather than taking it to the dealer that would have charged you $300. Now you own these tools AND could change the spark plugs again on your F250 as well as another vehicle you have. The savings just keeps compounding.
That's the same line of reasoning I've been following for the last 20 years. Not only do you not give your hard earned money to the $tealer, but you get some knowledge, some skills, and you get to keep the tools.

Plus, the personal confidence that you've done the job your way, and could do it again, usually 50% faster.

Awesome !

Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
It's funny how I think about buying the correct tools and doing the maintenance myself for cheaper is the right thing to do. But it's hard as all get out to have to validate it with the wife. Any suggestions?
You can try using the analogy that buying the right cooking utensils (tools) and preparing meals at home is more cost effective than eating out (taking the car to the shop). The savings pays for the better utensils that can be used again and again. Cooking then can be more enjoyable rather than a chore.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BolognaBlake
TennesseeMustangPerf,

I've got a Mercedes 300d you need to change the spark plugs on too.

I just can't find the darn things...
Lol, I'd say you can't!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking and reading here for some time. It was a sad day when i had to sell my ranger to make room for the second child. Bought an SUV, but really missed/wanted a truck. Over several months I looked for cheap trucks, and rather quickly found the f250's were cheaper and more dependable than the smaller trucks. I settled on a 1999 F250 5.4L with a service body.

The price was right, but as soon as I got it up to speed (on the way home after purchasing it) I noticed it shimmied and shook something awful at lower rpm. Would plod along fine, but as soon as I encountered a hill, it shook. Thanks to FTE, I figured I needed new plugs. Also thanks to the info on this site, I payed only about $35 (at first) for the plugs and not $300 at a dealership.

Plug 1, easy. Plug #2 just as easy. Plug #3 not coming out. Fidget with it for a little, still not coming. Obviously the socket is obstructed by something rubber. Can't find my mirror and when I did, I couldn't actually see the plug. Pretty frustrating when you are completely bent over an engine. Off to Sears to get a pick set to try to "grab" the rubber piece. After about 30min, I grab like half an old COP out. Try the socket and still, ain't making contact. Off I go again to the local Harbor Freight to get better nozzles for my air compressor. Finally get it out.

Everything goes OK until #7 which had some issues getting the COP off. Then I had to run out to Home Depot to get a 7mm (or was it 8mm) wrench to get the #8 COP off.

So, plugs are changed and the truck runs great. However, it was amazing the amount of tools it took just to change the plugs. 1/4 drive, 3/8 drive, wrenches, lots of extensions, U-joints, etc. I had a pile of tools to clean up.

Sounds like the truck you bought was neglected and may not even have had the plugs or boots changed. I would go over the truck and change all the fluids, fuel filter, clean the MAF and etc.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 PM
jim0517
Senior User
I did this as well. I've been having a problem with "sputtering" under load, similar to the issue with water in the gas but the gas is fresh. One of the toughest engines to replace spark plugs that I've worked on. Started yesterday. Replaced 1-5 before I had to stop as both boys had little league games. Did number 6 and 8 this afternoon. Still have number 7 left to do. I found that the vacuum line to the pressure regulator on the fuel rail had broken. Hoping that the new plugs and fixing the vacuum line corrects the problem.