Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is there tension on the sway bar?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there tension on the sway bar?

I got a set of sway bar bushings from RiffRaff and am getting around to installing them.

There are good instructions in this forum, but I can't tell from other's work if there is tension on the sway bar? I don't want to loosen a bolt in the removal process and have it smash my fingers.

I see folks raising the front end (and using jack stands), but is that only for access and not to "unload" tension?

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no there isn't any tension on the sway bar.......

Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
No worries, the sway bar isn't "loaded". As long as you move the truck up or down evenly on both sides, it will stay unloaded.

If you jack up the left or right side alone... now you've got tension on the sway bar.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
thanks to both of you for the info.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Just a remember if you don't already know.. You may need a press, some tooling and a fresh pair of underpants. I used a 20 ton press and when it popped free, Well, that is were the fresh underpants came in.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also to add, make sure your links get hooked up the same way you removed them. Mark with a colored marker, bottom-top and what side they were on. If you get them mixed up or have the top side on the bottom side they won't bolt up right and you should see its not lined up and you'll get body roll-sway bad, even with the new links and bushings. Another vote for a press, their buggers to remove manually.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
YES in ARTICLES/SPECS

Originally Posted by bobbyrjw
I got a set of sway bar bushings from RiffRaff and am getting around to installing them.

There are good instructions in this forum, Yes;
Go to the top of the page click on 'Articles/Specs'. Then select <TABLE width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=lore_breadcrumb width="100%" itxtvisited="1">Ford Excursion & Super Duty (F250/F350/F450/F550)

Then go to bottom of that page and in SUB-CATEGORIES select.: Excursion/Super Duty Steering & Suspension .:

and there it be: 2004 F250 Sway Bar Bushing Replacement

Note: I didn't need a press to do mine. I used sockets out of a 3/4' Socket set. One to place the sway bar on the other one a neat fit inside the bushing housing. I then just hammered it out. They're throw away so no problems. The replacement bushings from Clay go in easily. Just study this blokes instructions and carefully as there is a slight bell mouth on one side of the bush housings. Also different numbers go in top and bottom. So look closely at the photos as you put it together.
I had no dramas and just did it in my drive way.

</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=lore_content width=* itxtvisited="1"><!-- overLIB Code -->******** type=text/javascript src="https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/third_party/overlib/overlib.js"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup -->*********>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>but I can't tell from other's work if there is tension on the sway bar? I don't want to loosen a bolt in the removal process and have it smash my fingers.

I see folks raising the front end (and using jack stands), but is that only for access and not to "unload" tension?

Thanks.

No need to raise truck at all.
You can't even go wrong with which side goes where because they are shaped differently. The actual sway bar can also only go on one way due to offset pumpkin.

Have fun mate.

cheers,
Reg

---------------------------
Aussie spec Brazilian built 2005 (US 2003) F-250 Superduty 4x4 7.3Ltr Powerstroke: PHP FU2 6 Pos’n Chip, 6 x ISSPRO Promax Guages, AIS Intake, Zoodad, Cowl Hood, AIH Delete, DIY CCV, BTM muffler, MBRP 4” Black Tip, RiffRaff FRx,HPx,OCR, JWVB, ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear, V10 Tranny cooler in series with Stock Tranny cooler, Deep Tranny Pan, ARB Bull Bar, Edge Evo (for PIDs & Codes only), Long Range Fuel Tank, VMS in Dash GPS Street & Off Road Nav, Toyo OPAT AT 305 70R 16”on 10” Rims, Moog Greasable Ball Joints, HD Suspension & Leveling Spring for GVWR (GVM) Upgrade to 5,000Kg.
fficeffice" /><O></O>
<TABLE width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=lore_breadcrumb width="100%" itxtvisited="1">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Great advice and good information.

This is where FTE shines. Experience being passed. Lessons learned are best shared

Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have access to a press, and want to remove them manually, they aren't that bad, take a drill with a 1/4'' bit or so, and drill 5 or 6 holes in the bushing in between and sleeve and outer housing, it will pop out 10 times easier. Goodluck bro!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM
luny1
Senior User

instaliing the new bushngs

I just did a search and found this thread. Exactly what I needed. Awesome!
I borrowed a pair of links to use until get the bushings in mine.
Now I know how to remove the old bushings from my set.
How do I put the new ones in?

And I hate to admit it-but you can put the links on the wrong way.
Being in a hurry,I took both links off-without paying attention.

The two arms have a different bend to them. The passenger side link has the greater bend. And the bend goes toward the center of the truck. Bolts pointed out.

And yes, they will go on with the bend pointing out.
And you can drive it for a day before you notice it.