1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 AM
djpahan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Radio Install

Hey, guys. My 99 F250 V10 2wd Extended cab with factory CD and Tape deck is up for a new toy. I am replacing oem with ebay DVD 2din deck with GPS and looking where are the wires for Reverse and Parking are located.

Also if anyone knows if it is possible to connect/send false reading to parking brake wire to be able to watch DVD's while driving.
Another thing is anyone have attempted same and how have you mounted player in. I have gotten Metra kit, but it is too small for this ebay radio.

Thanks

Paul

My newly purchased DVD/MP3?GPS Player

Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Paul,
While I can't help you here, you might want to be careful, as it is a violation to have a DVD in view of the driver... just don't want you to get a ticket.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive done several radio installs, including both my trucks, 1st problem, that head unit is a double din, any superduty from 04-99 has a din and a half radio space. so that head unit wont fit into the space unless you rig it up. I've fit a double din into a din and half of an 03 f-150 before but its alot of work. Your best going with a single din flip out head unit. also you might want to ungrade from that cheaper knock off, ive seen them break and malfunction often, pioneer makes awesome head units for great prices, check my photos and you can see my install.

to bypass the parking break so you can watch movies while driving you need a switch, you hook the parking break wire from the head unit to the switch and then from the switch you run a wire to a good ground. When you want to watch a movie all you do is flip the switch. I have my switch tied right under my dash in front of the pedals, so all i have to do is reach under real quick and flip it.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lakewood
Ive done several radio installs, including both my trucks, 1st problem, that head unit is a double din, any superduty from 04-99 has a din and a half radio space. so that head unit wont fit into the space unless you rig it up. I've fit a double din into a din and half of an 03 f-150 before but its alot of work. Your best going with a single din flip out head unit. also you might want to ungrade from that cheaper knock off, ive seen them break and malfunction often, pioneer makes awesome head units for great prices, check my photos and you can see my install.
Actually it is very close to double din, if you shave a small amount of plastic from the upper and lower bezel edges a double din will fit perfectly fine I have done many superdutys without issue.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
bapoptosis
New User
Originally Posted by rwilimo
Actually it is very close to double din, if you shave a small amount of plastic from the upper and lower bezel edges a double din will fit perfectly fine I have done many superdutys without issue.
Hey, this is my next project. I noticed that some stores recommend a instal kit that has no top and bottom (Metra 95-5817) for double din. Anyone used one of these?

And to the OP, can't really help you, but a coworker put the switch on his truck. Listens to movies all the time. Not a bad gig.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
djpahan
Junior User
Thanks, guys.

No worries about tickets. I mainly want to have it for my son, when we go on trips. I have an extended cab and no head rests, so can't have dvd screens there, other wise for $200 i can get set of two.
I have had to cut edges, actualy about 1/4'' on the bottom and 1/2'' on the top of bezel, which makes my screen sit bit higher than bezel, but its perfect when screen opens, no rubbing on the bottom.
I have purchased Metra kit 95-5818, but the only thing I have used was side brackets to lock Player in, two big peaces of plastic that you can mount behind ac controls were too small for Chinese HU.

One last thing have to finish is to figure out why my camera doesn't work. May be that I have connected it right out of stearing column. Should I look for wire pass fuse box?

Thanks again.

I'll post some pictures later.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM
arusty1
5th Wheeling

...Rusty

Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM
djpahan
Junior User
As promissed. Sorry for blurry pictures - Cellphone

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
djpahan
Junior User
Exclamation

Well this is weird thing just happen to me. I made run down to the store (night time) and My screen on HU won't stop flickering. As soon as I shut off my HID's screen came back to normal.
I have gotten some of those Lifetime warranty that I read on on this site and they work perfectly, but now this.

Anybody has any ideas

Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM
myblkex
Senior User
any luck finding out what caused this ?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:06 AM
djpahan
Junior User
Yes, auto mode doesn't work. You either have to select Day or night mode. In auto is starts flickering.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 AM
myblkex
Senior User
That's great to hear! I have HID's too and am thinking of going with one of those Chinese HU's as well and wodering how you like it so far ?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM
chiahunw
Senior User
Originally Posted by djpahan
Yes, auto mode doesn't work. You either have to select Day or night mode. In auto is starts flickering.
Give this a shot: Connect the dimmer/lighting wire from the headunit to headlight switch. The dimmer/lighting wire from the factory radio harness is variable voltage can cause issue to the headunit's auto dimmer. The headunit is looking for either +12v or 0v for the dimmer function.