1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT Car Show Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OT Car Show Help

I have been tasked with putting on a car (and truck) show this summer.
DATE SATURDAY AUGUST 6th. in Murfreesboro TN (about 30 min SE of Nashville) Mark it on your calendar if you live nearby.

QUESTIONs
Have any of you guys been involved in planning a car show?
Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions?
From show's you've been to, what makes a good show?
What should I avoid at all costs.
What must I have or do?

Thanks in advance.....

Old 04-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ssj7kids
Have any of you guys been involved in planning a car show? Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions
Yep, 21 years but taking a very back seat now. The best rule is the KISS one. As simple as possible, resist the temptation to over-complicate things.

NO JUDGING …it just causes hard feelings, if you want trophies, have a “top ten in show” by participant ballots.

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Keep it family oriented. I've been to shows what they offered booze as prizes, just turned me off to hear the high school type announcement about the booze by a bunch of people than have been out of high school before most of the cars at the show was made.

Play good music, if your show is aimed at vintage tin don't play hip-hop, I for one will turn around and leave. Keep the volume reasonable, we go to car shows to BS with people and if you have shout for four hours it's not as enjoyable.

Make sure you have plenty of portable facilities including places to wash your hands. If you're serving food it's pretty disgusting to not wash your hands after using the rest rooms and before buying food.

Try, if you can, to have sponsors provide stuff for goody bags, I assume most car guys are like me and are cheap and like to get stuff even if it's some pens and a pad of paper.

That's about it for me, unless I think of something else.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Decide what type, years made, brands, etc before you go much further - Decide who is going to do what, when and where - No one working at the show has any friends that day - Sign a contract to those things with all involved.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
As others have mentioned, keep it simple and family oriented. For food, you might check to see if there's any service orginizations, Lions, Rotary, Kiwanis, etc., in your area that may have food vending trailers. Many times you can get them to co-sponsor your event in exchange for having them sell food and drinks for their own fundraiser. If you can easily get someone like that to take care of food and drink, ice cream, sno-cones and other goodies, that's a big thing you can scratch off your list.

Does your show have a purpose other than a car gathering? Are you doing this as a fund raiser for a non-profit, or just to pad the coffers of a local club? Our local Mopar club every year puts on a really nice little show as a fund raiser for local food banks. They charge an entry fee and a canned food donation, and there's no limits on what kind of car you can enter, it's open to everyone. Proceeds above actual expenses all go to charity. Things like that always draw good crowds, since people know there's a good cause involved.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Some of the local small car shows around here have the local volunteer fire department sell the food to raise funds for their department. This also covers local ordinances that require emergency personal on the grounds for crowds over a certain number.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:18 AM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Some of the local small car shows around here have the local volunteer fire department sell the food to raise funds for their department. This also covers local ordinances that require emergency personal on the grounds for crowds over a certain number.
Nice thinking there...

Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Keep it family oriented. I've been to shows what they offered booze as prizes, just turned me off to hear the high school type announcement about the booze by a bunch of people than have been out of high school before most of the cars at the show was made.

Play good music, if your show is aimed at vintage tin don't play hip-hop, I for one will turn around and leave. Keep the volume reasonable, we go to car shows to BS with people and if you have shout for four hours it's not as enjoyable.

Make sure you have plenty of portable facilities including places to wash your hands. If you're serving food it's pretty disgusting to not wash your hands after using the rest rooms and before buying food.
Try, if you can, to have sponsors provide stuff for goody bags, I assume most car guys are like me and are cheap and like to get stuff even if it's some pens and a pad of paper.

That's about it for me, unless I think of something else.

Bob,
That is too funny. I thought I was only that felt like that about handwashing!!. I keep a bottled water and small container of liquid handsoap under the seat of my 55' for that reason. Seems Crazy but what a concept. Clean hands before you eat. Sorry Steve not to derail the topic at hand. This one thing keeps the Misses away from riding with me the unknown of the facilities.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tacson
[/color]

Bob,
That is too funny. I thought I was only that felt like that about handwashing!!. I keep a bottled water and small container of liquid handsoap under the seat of my 55' for that reason. Seems Crazy but what a concept. Clean hands before you eat. Sorry Steve not to derail the topic at hand. This one thing keeps the Misses away from riding with me the unknown of the facilities.
My kids are 21 and 25 years old, but I've kept buying baby wipes all these years for that reason. I have a container in my vehicle and put a wad into zip-lock back for more portable usage.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tacson
[/color]

Bob,
My kids are 21 and 25 years old, but I've kept buying baby wipes all these years for that reason. I have a container in my vehicle and put a wad into zip-lock back for more portable usage.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:16 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Some thoughts...I agree with old f1, if there's going to be judging, let the crowd do it. Don't go overboard with classes, just a couple will do. Gather your team and plan. Make sure there is ONE person who has final say. Dry run how cars will enter and exit the lot, how will they park, were do spectators park. How will participants and spectators pay? Have lots of change. Beer can really screw up a nice gathering, but food is good. The above comments are right on about letting another group handle the food. If your show is at the lot of the rotary club, etc, maybe you can use their bathrooms. Porta johns get expensive fast. Don't forget trash cans. Door prizes are always good. Everybody doesn't have to win something, they just have to have a chance. Hit up local business for prizes, not just auto related. Resturants (buy one get one coupon) movie theaters, local attractions are examples. Make sure you thank them very publicly so the crowd knows who's supporting them. I always support the business's that support me, and I let them know. Make sure the headquarters is easy to find, and people know who's running things. Try to be as accomodating as possible, this show is a day off for everyone (except you) and no one likes to have a bad time. Politeness, manners, and smiles counts. KISS, but pay attention to the details.
Rusty Hopper, Stockers Car Club.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been to allot and could grince on things that I have seen that have made me wanna pack up and go home. But rather than do that, I'll throw the ol man to into the fire. Dad shows his 40 ford and has been president of several car clubs in his years. He has put on and worked in more car shows that I could count. I know he would be happy to visit with you and give you some pointers from his experiances. If you want, gimmie a pm and I'll send you his cell #

Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Thanx guys, this is great info.
Some of which I will definitely put into the works.

Any and all information is still welcomed....

Steve

Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Thanx guys, this is great info.
Some of which I will definitely put into the works.

Any and all information is still welcomed....

Steve