2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Need a procedure for console panel replacement

Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a procedure for console panel replacement

Hey all! I would like to replace the passenger side panel from my 2007 expy myself. Can someone point me to a procedure or give me some instructions?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
I have the service disk on my pc laptop and my wife is on it doing some grad school work right now. I will get it to you either tonight or tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
Thanks a million.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
Sorry it is so late. It looks like you have to take the console off to possibly take off that panel. Here is the info for the console removal.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 PM
joiseystud
Junior User
Thanks a lot. I will do this next weekend.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
SickPup404
Junior User
Hey, I used the following procedure while fiddling with my Siruis install:

- Open the console storage cover.
- Using a flat blade screwdriver, release the 8 spring clips holding the console storage trim down. (See second pic, red boxes.)
- Remove rubber liner from front storage tray.
- Remove screw under rubber liner. (Sorry, no pic.)
- Using a flat blade screwdriver, release the 4 spring clips holding lower center dash trim panel. Removes toward rear of truck. (See third pic, pink boxes.)
- Using flat blade screwdriver covered with rag (or your fingernails), GENTLY pry up the shifter trim piece. (See third pic, yellow boxes.)
- Release the six spring clips holding front cup holder/shifter trim/storage tray. I stuck a small screwdriver in the oval holes under the front tray rubber liner and worked my way toward the rear. (See third pic, blue boxes.)
- Close the console storage cover.
- Using a flat blade screwdriver, release the 4 spring clips holding the rear cupholder. (See first pic, red boxes.)
- Remove the 2 screws holding the rear climate control panel. (See first pic, lower green boxes.)
- Using a flat blade screwdriver, release the 6 spring clips holding the rear climate control panel. (See fourth pic, red boxes.)
- Remove side panel screw under rear cupholder. (See first pic, top right green box.)
- Remove front two side panel screws under front cupholder/shifter trim. (See third pic, bottom two green boxes.)
- Move front seat forward.
- Remove lower rear side panel screw. (See fourth pic, lower green box.)
- Move front seat backward.
- Remove two upper black screws under console storage trim. (See second pic, small black screws sideways between bottom red boxes.)
- Remove lower front screw cover near floor in front of seat. (Sorry, no pic.)
- Remove lower front screw near floor in front of seat. (Sorry, no pic.)

Now, the panel should lift nearly straight up and back slightly. To get it back in place, I had to wiggle with the console storage lid open/closed and pulling the seat a little sideways and flexing the panel out at the bottom next to the seat.

If you have any questions, please let me know - I just finished doing this.

Hope this helps!
SickPup404

View of rear cupholder area:

View of console area:

View of front cupholder/shifter area:

Side view of rear cupholder/console area:

Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 AM
joiseystud
Junior User
Awesome post. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 AM
badarm
New User
I am installing an ipod hookup this week and I was wondering where the spring clips were located for the top of the console. I also have new panels to replace the worn and scratched ones that were there when I bought my 2007 last month. Thank you both for this post.

TIKT B8 - how did you download the service manual?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
I didn't download it, I bought the service disc on ebay for $12. It is well worth it.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 PM
badarm
New User
While we are on the subject of the console; where is the Sirius radio module located in there? I have an ipod adapter that I want to install. Didn't see anything close to the surface of the open console and I am definitely a novice at identifying wiring harnesses...

Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
SickPup404
Junior User
Originally Posted by badarm
While we are on the subject of the console; where is the Sirius radio module located in there? I have an ipod adapter that I want to install. Didn't see anything close to the surface of the open console and I am definitely a novice at identifying wiring harnesses...
As best as I could see, it's bolted inverted under the shifter all the way down near the floor. You can see the Sirius antenna connector in the third picture near the open power outlet (white square connector on a thin wire with a label peeling off). I traced the wire and one end goes down through the channel with the wiring harnesses near the lower right blue square, behind the glove box, then up to the antenna on the roof over the passenger side. The other end you can just barely feel going into a harness under the shifter. There are two modules under there: one toward the rear (if I remember right) is some sort of ECM for the trans and the one toward the front is the Sirius module. Taking off both sides of the console will get you nowhere. It looks like you have to completely remove the console to get to it which includes a whole lot of effort that I didn't want to go to. Remember, mine had it from the factory, but somehow got hosed up and I guess my unplugging and jiggling the harnesses got it to reset and I'm back in business. If I were going to add one of the SCC1 tuners or an iPod interface, I would use the 360 lockpick and tuck it behind the bottom center dash panel below the 12v power outlet and Aux input.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 AM
badarm
New User
Thanks for the heads up. I knew it wouldn't be as easy as advertised. I had no problems getting the console apart, just ran out of time. I want to save a ton of money by installing the ipod module myself but I don't want to pull apart wire harnesses randomly. I guess I will make a day of it and do it right.

Thanks again for all of the help. I will post pics as soon as I clean her up a bit.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
SickPup404
Junior User
If I'm not mistaken, I think there's a harness that comes with the iPod interface that piggy backs it into the wiring harness on the back of the radio. I've only seen pictures and haven't done one before. Maybe somebody else here knows?

HTH!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
badarm
New User
Yes, there is a harness that attaches to the sirius module in the console and then to the ipod interface module, so it's more like a plug-n-play situation. Everything is supposed to be done in the console, no need to take the navigation unit out. After it's connected, you can control the ipod from the navigation screen.

I will try to take pics of the install when I do it.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM
badarm
New User

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a procedure for console panel replacement