Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i hate my f*&$@$! truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM
streetlude95
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate my f*&$@$! truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

honestly, i have had to re-seal my thermostat housing 3 time's!!! wtf?!

first time i just used a gasket....leaked while i put the liquid back in....

second time used same gasket and blue RTV (it was recomended ) didn't leak untill a few days later but noteven that bad, just a real small puddle on the ground. Well needless to say that small leak is unexceptable so i removed the belt, unbolted the powersteering and ac compressor bracket and the stupid intake hose'es and top radiator hose so i could do it one last time..... nope.. used no gasket because it teared when i removed it, i figured the rtv was enough to do the job as long as i put a **** load on. i let it sit overnight before adding coolant.. just walked out there to add fluid before i go to work and its rushing out . i hate this truck!

honestly, this is the easiest thing in the world to do.....why is it so hard?! lol /rant

Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Are you positive it's leaking through the gasket? It could be cracked. Did you completely clean both surfaces? I've made gaskets from cereal boxes and used Indian Head gasket shellac made by permatex. Works great

Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 AM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 check if its cracked. Sounds like your not holding your mouth right. Don't say you hate your truck though.. they don't like that. Plus its not that bad. Could always be worse..

Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 AM
streetlude95
Junior User
I didn't notice any cracks.. but I didn't know how to go about cleaning it so I just dryer it..

Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it a steel housing or aluminium? On the steel ones the ears get bend down and cause it to leak, I always bend them up some so when you draw the bolts down it straightens them out putting more clamping force on the center. If its aluminum check both surfaces with a straightedge.

Last edited by bashby; 04-09-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: My keyboar is f'ing up
Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 AM
streetlude95
Junior User
Originally Posted by bashby
Is it a steel housing or aluminium? On the steel ones the ears get bend idown and cause it to leak, I always bend them up some so when you draw the bolts down it straightens them out putting more clamping force on the center. If its aluminum check both surfaces with a straightedge.
I'll have to check after work. Thanks

Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
How I do thermostats (Ford vertically mounted, anyway):

1. Scrape all gasket/sealer remnants off housing and block CAREFULLY with a razor blade. Do not gouge either surface.

2. Get new thermostat (OEM 195º), gasket and some HI-TACK gasket sealant.

3. Twist-lock thermostat into housing (some claim they don't, mine always have).

4. Apply thin layer of gasket sealant to thermostat housing and bed gasket evenly into sealant.

5. Walk away for an hour to let sealant set.

6. Reinstall thermostat/housing/gasket assembly onto block. Gasket sealant not necessary at this step, but optional.

7. Let sit for a few more hours before re-filling coolant.

After I started following this process, it works the first time every time. Get a new housing if yours is cracked, bent or gouged.

Jason

Old 04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
streetlude95
Junior User
Originally Posted by jroehl
How I do thermostats (Ford vertically mounted, anyway):

1. Scrape all gasket/sealer remnants off housing and block CAREFULLY with a razor blade. Do not gouge either surface.

2. Get new thermostat (OEM 195º), gasket and some HI-TACK gasket sealant.

3. Twist-lock thermostat into housing (some claim they don't, mine always have).

4. Apply thin layer of gasket sealant to thermostat housing and bed gasket evenly into sealant.

5. Walk away for an hour to let sealant set.

6. Reinstall thermostat/housing/gasket assembly onto block. Gasket sealant not necessary at this step, but optional.

7. Let sit for a few more hours before re-filling coolant.

After I started following this process, it works the first time every time. Get a new housing if yours is cracked, bent or gouged.

Jason
A few questions, one.. do I need the paper gasket? Where is the lock for the thermostat and should I put the rtv on both sides of the gasket?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 PM
CS45
Junior User
I had the same problem. Used the recommended blue RTV gasket ****e. Leaked in 2 days.

2nd time I used Permatex GREY RTV especially made for waterpumps and thermostats. No leak.

Come in little tubes?? Had to use 2 tubes to do the thermostat and both gaskets on the water pump.

CS45

Old 04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
streetlude95
Junior User
Originally Posted by CS45
I had the same problem. Used the recommended blue RTV gasket ****e. Leaked in 2 days.

2nd time I used Permatex GREY RTV especially made for waterpumps and thermostats. No leak.

Come in little tubes?? Had to use 2 tubes to do the thermostat and both gaskets on the water pump.

CS45
yeah, that's the stuff I used this go-around. Lol

Old 04-09-2011, 02:42 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by streetlude95
A few questions, one.. do I need the paper gasket? Where is the lock for the thermostat and should I put the rtv on both sides of the gasket?
Yes, the paper gasket is glued to the housing in step #4.

Put the thermostat against the housing and turn it, it should eventually catch and stay in the housing if it is the same as an OEM thermostat.

Don't use RTV sealant, use a HI-TACK sealant, and I prefer to NOT put it between the gasket and the block, but I don't think it matters. The key is to not use too much--just spread a thin layer over the whole gasket contact area--more is not better.

Jason

Old 04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
streetlude95
Junior User
Originally Posted by jroehl
Yes, the paper gasket is glued to the housing in step #4.

Put the thermostat against the housing and turn it, it should eventually catch and stay in the housing if it is the same as an OEM thermostat.

Don't use RTV sealant, use a HI-TACK sealant, and I prefer to NOT put it between the gasket and the block, but I don't think it matters. The key is to not use too much--just spread a thin layer over the whole gasket contact area--more is not better.

Jason
ok, cool I don't have the stock thermostat but its all our crappy parts stores have. And if they don't have any HI TACK I saw an rtv for waterpump and thermostat housing.(wich is what I used this time but I think that since I used too much it didn't seal..
Just trying to get some last minute advice before I get off work and dive right into my 4th attempt at this jimmy lol

Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
My thermostat on my 300 was PITA....Till I figured out one side has adhesive........After that lil tidbit, it was a PIE JOB....

-Wes

Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
use weatherstripping cement, it sticks the gasket well, and don't make a mess. be sure you have all the old gasket off both surfaces, or it will leak everytime.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
be sure you have all the old gasket off both surfaces, or it will leak everytime.
x2.....Happens EVERYTIME....

-Wes

Quick Reply: i hate my f*&$@$! truck!!!!!!!!!!!!