Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Senior User

cole.jace is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question about tires. And diy bed liners.

Hello i've posted about wanting tires for a while and know i want to know what you guys think I have a really good deal on what looks to be good tires so please advice.

Ok i currently have Cooper trendsetters on my truck. They look like this.
Click the image to open in full size.

Now I hate them mostly because im 17 and have grandpa tires on my truck because my grandpa threw pretty much a new set of them on. Plus there traction sucks some serious *****.

Now Canadian Tire has there set of 235/75/15 goodyear wrangler territory tires on sale. Buy 1 for $173.43 Get the second for $86.74 which i think is a great deal. They look like this

Now all the reviews say they have great traction, They have the severe weather snowflake on them, And they are suppose to wear really good. Should I go for it?

Also see there is a sale on a diy Duplicolour bed kit with kevlar has anyone done diy bed liners and any pics?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Posting Guru

skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If your getting a set of AT tires, I'd look at going up to a 30x9.5r15 or a 31x10.5r15 tire. Wire make a huge difference in the stance of your truck, plus the extra ground clearance is nice.

Nothing really wrong with goodyear tires per se, but the sidewalls seem a little week. If you are looking at goodyear tires, check out the goodyear duratrac, it's a real good tire. Kinda a hybrid AT & MT tire.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

1996 F150: RC/SB / 351 / E4OD / 4x4 / 3.08 / Eddie Bauer
2000 F250: SC/SB / V10 / 4R100 / 4x4 / 3.73 / XLT
2000 Mountaineer: / 5.0 / 4R70W / AWD / 3.73 LS
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Posting Guru

skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.skyfox10 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just did some read a review on another forum on those tires. They weren't well received.

Tire Review: Goodyear Wrangler Authority - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Senior User

Authorities are the walmart brand also the guy in the review had them on a 2500 dodge cummins who had power and torque behind it. something my 302 isnt well regarded for so im not really worried on that. Also i would go to 31's but If these are on sale for our regualr size i save money and dont have to mess with the speedo.

And they are loosley based on the duratrac's design. Really on difference are bigger lugs in the center being two and not having three.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 AM
The village idiot.

KevinGnWV has a good reputation on FTE.KevinGnWV has a good reputation on FTE.KevinGnWV has a good reputation on FTE.
Our work trucks are 3500HDs and F-350SD, both quad cab 4x4 diesel. We average 35000 miles a year, and 6 days a week on gravel roads. Not your average driveway but coal mine roads, and very rocky terrain. We change tires about every 8-10 months due to wear. About a year and a half ago, we went strictly to Goodyear with a fleet account to get discounts and some extra warranty. We first tried these tires: Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor The tread wore decently considering the torture we put them through but were prone to punctures in the tread area from sharp rock. Not unusual for us but it seemed to happen much more often than our previous tire brand. In the winter and spring we ran these tires due to the snow and mud during the cold months. Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac We no longer had the tread punctures but sidewalls seemed to be a problem for our first sets (about 13 trucks total). A talk with Goodyear got us these tires: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar And they performed wonderfully. The roads we use are not typical roads by any means. We'll put off a shot and the D-11s will come in and carve us a path to get through the shattered sandstone. We torture tires. Often times we will have 2500 pounds in the bed in these conditions. A brand new truck will last about 4 years before we start replacing axles, transfer cases, and suspension pieces. By 6 years, the trucks are auctioned off for about $2000. I was never a fan off Goodyear at all, until the last set of tires. They are pricey, but the ones I linked are 246/75/16 and load range E. Here are the same in a 31x10.50x15 load range C, and a little cheaper. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar

That is real world experience with these tires and I can promise you will never put them through anything close to what we do. They sold me, and now run them on my F-250, especially since Goodyear gave us the same discount on our personal vehicles. I've only put about 15k miles on mine, rotated once and they still look brand new.

Hope that helps you.

Our work trucks also require us to have a non-sparking bed liner. A steep discount with Rhino Linings made the decision for us. I can't tell you how well it goes on or how easy it is because I work in the field and the lining is done at the shop. But, I can say it is very slip resistant when wet, snow covered and muddy. In the winter if ice forms in the bed, a slight tap with a hammer or anything else will break it up and it comes out without sticking or tearing up the lining. And again, we abuse the trucks. Shovels, mason hoes and an assortment of recovery equipment gets tossed around a lot and we do have some chipping but not much considering. The lining in my personal truck is Herculiner and it's peeling bad, but I don't know if the installer did it correctly. There is a lot of prep involved. If you don't do a thorough cleaning, scuff, and prep it won't stick very well at all. If you do it outside in dusty conditions you may have problems.

Here is some info I googled that is very informative and might help answer some questions you have.
Quote:
Here is a bit of history: First on the scene were epoxy based products. They were not very durable, they cracked, peeled, etc. Then, ONE-part polyurethane products came along. One-part means that the polyurethane is suspended in a solvent. A catalyst is added which starts a chemical reaction that removes the solvent so that you have just polyurethane left. They were a significant improvement over epoxy based products. Examples of today’s one-part polyurethanes include Herculiner, Duplicolor, Durabak, and Speedliner. All of these are do-it-yourselfers and can be bought at a retail store except for Speedliner which has to be purchased through a dealer. The newest technology is TWO-part polyurethanes. Two-part means that a resin (usually a polyol resin) is mixed with isocyanate (a hardener) which renders the polyurethane. Two-part polyurethanes are harder and much more durable than one-part polyurethanes. Two-part polys are used on today’s boats, airplanes, etc. Examples of today’s products that have two-part polyurethanes include LINE-X and Rhino.

LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a harder liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that "cottage cheese" look. LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure gives it a very nice texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. However, the dealer can vary the texture. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

LINE-X is the only brand with a NATIONWIDE lifetime warranty.
From the research I've done, I'm going to strip my existing bedliner and have Line-X done. It's not a DIY but I think the initial investment cost will be worth the lifetime protection.

Again, hope I helped you some. These are big investments and with today's economy it is smart to get the most for your money. Good luck!

1994 Mazda B4000 ExtCab.
4X4 SE, 5 Spd.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Posting Guru

The speedo isn't hard to reprogram, and can be done in a matter on minutes, but to tell you the truth, I moved up to 31's in my last truck and never bothered to change it, the 6% difference wasn't significant enough to make it worth changing the computer.

It's your truck and your money, so you know what you'll be happy with. But going up a couple inches in tire size makes quite the difference. Pictured below, my 95 with 30" tires, then again with 31" tires.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 AM
The village idiot.

KevinGnWV has a good reputation on FTE.KevinGnWV has a good reputation on FTE.KevinGnWV has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfox10 View Post
The speedo isn't hard to reprogram, and can be done in a matter on minutes, but to tell you the truth, I moved up to 31's in my last truck and never bothered to change it, the 6% difference wasn't significant enough to make it worth changing the computer.

It's your truck and your money, so you know what you'll be happy with. But going up a couple inches in tire size makes quite the difference. Pictured below, my 95 with 30" tires, then again with 31" tires.

Great looking truck!
I put 31s on my 95 F150 and they were fine. I had the window sticker for the truck and it came from the factory with 265-75-15 which are basically the same as 31s. Mine was a MarkIII conversion but I can't imagine that had anything to do with tire size at all. There is def a wider selection of 31s than 265s IMO.

1994 Mazda B4000 ExtCab.
4X4 SE, 5 Spd.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Posting Guru

A agree with what KevinGnWV is saying about DIY liners, they definitely wont hold up like a professionally installed two component liner will.

I was always under the impression the rhino was still a high pressure system, although I've seen them with the texture you are talking about. Usually you can very the texture dramatically by changing your air/fluid ratio and temperature.

If you're looking for a really tough liner, check out Vortex, their tear rating is 475 PLI.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Freshman User

Pop's is starting off with a positive reputation.
Benjamin Sonksen
An overwhelming amount of "truck guys" where I live swear by the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO. I personnally think they are ugly as sin, but because of how many guys use them in the winter is why I am probably gonna go for a set. They tell me to find the ones with the snowflake. Everybody I know who uses them says that they will buy nothing but that tire. Not too sure how they would handle mud though. Most of the farmers use more aggressive all-terrains or mud-terrain type tires for all the mud and dirt. Falken has come out with a new tire that looks pretty good too, the Falken Wild Peak AT. So far it has good reviews with the Jeep 4x4 types but is still pretty new. I couldn't decide on what tire to get either so I posted a pole on FaceBook between the BFG All Terrain TA KO, Falken Wild Peak AT, General Grabber AT2, and one other cheaper brand knock-off one... the definately most popular was the BFGs.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Posting Guru

I think the BFG, is the most popular AT tire in the US. From my experience, it handles almost every off road condition very very well, with the exception of mud. It's mud performance is nothing to write home about.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Freshman User

Pop's is starting off with a positive reputation.
Benjamin Sonksen
It all depends on what kinda surfaces you drive on. An aggressive all terrain or mud tire definately look the most bad ***, and traction in the slop to boot... but they usually wear a lot quicker or uneven if your driving is all on-road, especially on highways. On our military HMMWVs (Humvees) we used to use Goodyear Wranglers but have swithced to using either Goodyear Wrangler MTR or BF Goodrich BAJA with much success. (37in)

The MTRs look awesome and can climb through anything! They wear well with off-road use too; however, with a lot of highway use they will wear down rather quickly. The BAJAs are super durable and wear well in all conditions even highway... but are more expensive than any normal human can afford, and actually do not perform as well in mud as the MTRs.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 AM
The village idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfox10 View Post
I think the BFG, is the most popular AT tire in the US. From my experience, it handles almost every off road condition very very well, with the exception of mud. It's mud performance is nothing to write home about.
I agree. They don't clean out well in mud at all. Especially the sticky clay mud we have here. They do great in snow though. Even after the state road plows and creates ice skating rinks. I think the design is getting dated though and there's much better available these days.

1994 Mazda B4000 ExtCab.
4X4 SE, 5 Spd.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Senior User

See I'm from a farm so that's why the territory s looked good because they can clear out . Which will be good cause this year the fields are going to be wetter then wet our soil is so saturated with water there are going to be large portions of fields not seeded all around our country side. And the DIY bed liner was just out of curiosity I don't think there is a bed liner installer around here.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 AM
The village idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole.jace View Post
See I'm from a farm so that's why the territory s looked good because they can clear out . Which will be good cause this year the fields are going to be wetter then wet our soil is so saturated with water there are going to be large portions of fields not seeded all around our country side. And the DIY bed liner was just out of curiosity I don't think there is a bed liner installer around here.
The Wrangler MT/Rs clean out great. Like I said, we get into the worst possible places at work and I'm impressed with them, and I WAS a die-hard BFG guy for a long time.

1994 Mazda B4000 ExtCab.
4X4 SE, 5 Spd.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Postmaster

86F150302 has a very good reputation on FTE.86F150302 has a very good reputation on FTE.86F150302 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Popwarhomie
As for DIY bedliner.. Id stay away from Duplicolor.. Alot of bad reviews on them. If you search google you can find tons of reviews on DIY bedliners.

I just did a Hurculiner in Dec. Did alot of research and found it my best bet.

I would recommend 3 coats over the 2 though. Holding up great.

94 Lightning /FMS headers/No cats/Borla DIDO/Gen 2 exit/3" CAI/ Alpine CDA-105/200 amp alt/Kicker KS components/Sundown Audio SA-8s/ AQ1200D/Optima battery/Saginaw P.S. pump/Full LED swap/Projector retrofit/ Built trans/ FTI 2800 stall/Punisher comp VB.
10 Focus coupe 5 speed /80PRS/Walled with 2 DC 18"s/AQ2200/AQ6.5s/AQ120.4/Alpha Damped/ 2 batteries/All KnuKonceptz wiring/Projector retrofit/LED tails/
Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 AM