Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I'm now a victim...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I'm now a victim...

For years I've been watching threads about bad fuel, I think I've recently become a victim...

I filled up last saturday to the tune of $150, drove around all day and noticed the truck acting quite sluggish and requiring more go-pedal to maintain speed. I get home and barely make it up the driveway in time for my truck to stall.

I figure "ok, my fuel pump is gone again" so I replace it and make an interesting discovery: my pre-pump filter is litterally clogged with gunk. So I made the mistake of letting the filter soak with a combination of MAF cleaner and PB Blaster and let it soak. (single handedly destroying the evidence I needed for the gas station) The gunk comes off, but then it dons on me that I may have a batch of bad diesel, if not the crud from the bottom of the tank.

When I changed the main fuel filter, the fuel in the bowl just didn't smell right or seem like it was the correct "consistency" for diesel and almost seemed more watery than anything else.

Although it's obvious that I seem to have bad fuel, those of you who have dealt with this: what are some do's, don'ts, and pointers for a situation like this?

I ask becuase at this point, I think my injectors may have been damaged and I'm not about to pay for something that isn't my fault.

So aside from calling the offending company, what are some other steps I should take? (gathering evidence, getting my truck fixed, etc...)

Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry to hear this. First off I'd save a sample of the fuel. Perhaps video tape yourself pulling it out of the tank and showing whatever gunk you still have on rags or whatever from your cleaning. Then contact the station and your insurance company and see what everyone says. Make sure you still have your receipt or proof of purchase handy.

Why do you think it damaged your injectors? If it was just filled with crud, the filters should have caught it before it hit the injectors. If you believe the combustion characteristics of the fuel was so bad that it damaged the injectors, then I'm afraid you should park the Ex at a mechanics shop until this gets sorted out so you stop the damage and save further proof.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM
marcomjl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a mess.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang, you have a black cloud following you. I would take it to a shop and let them deal with it and check everything out. The station should cover all the repair costs. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

I think if you drain the tank and change the filters you'll be fine. But first contact the station and see if they have any more complaints. I had an issue a while back where the diesel tank got gas put in it and I freaked, but everything has been fine since I cleaned everything out.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I would call the station where you purchased the fuel and let them know theres a problem. Maybe it will stop someone else from getting in the same predicament and see what they want you to do . I imagine they will want you to take to a shop of some sort just for the documentation .

Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
ff1210
Senior User

This weard just talked to a old retired weight and scales man yesterday about this. He used to do all the pump test and all that good stuff that comes to checking fuel for quality and quanity. He told me that the store is not responsible but the fuel supplier is unless they have a problem between the tank and the pump then the station is. So you need to contact the station first and see if they have any more troubles and they should do the rest. But you can also check with your state dept as well they should tell you what to do aswell hopes this helps you out......

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I'm worried about the injectors becuase not knowing, I changed the fuel filters and (not knowing) ran the truck thinking my fuel filters were just clogged. It sounded real bad and even stalled a few times...My injectors made noises, I've NEVER heard them make before and even not knowing, it just didn't sound good. Although I'm maybe worried over nothing, it's one of those "better safe than sorry" sort of things.

I called Murphy Oil and they requested I have the truck diagnosed at a local shop then forward a reapir estimate and I'll be reimbursed accordingly I suppose...

I just happened to cruise by wal-mart this morning and they had a guy out there testing the fuel at the pump I was at almost a week ago. My guess is that since then, they've run out of the the contaminated fuel and since had some fresh fuel come in. My truck hasn't moved much since Sunday night and Dave at DI Performance is supposed to test the fuel for me, so we'll see how this turns out...

Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
...I think if you drain the tank and change the filters you'll be fine...
I agree. I think you are suffering from fuel starvation and poorly combusting fuel.

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
...I'm worried about the injectors becuase not knowing...
That is understandable. I do not believe the injectors are harmed.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
ff1210
Senior User

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I'm worried about the injectors becuase not knowing, I changed the fuel filters and (not knowing) ran the truck thinking my fuel filters were just clogged. It sounded real bad and even stalled a few times...My injectors made noises, I've NEVER heard them make before and even not knowing, it just didn't sound good. Although I'm maybe worried over nothing, it's one of those "better safe than sorry" sort of things.

I called Murphy Oil and they requested I have the truck diagnosed at a local shop then forward a reapir estimate and I'll be reimbursed accordingly I suppose...

I just happened to cruise by wal-mart this morning and they had a guy out there testing the fuel at the pump I was at almost a week ago. My guess is that since then, they've run out of the the contaminated fuel and since had some fresh fuel come in. My truck hasn't moved much since Sunday night and Dave at DI Performance is supposed to test the fuel for me, so we'll see how this turns out...
He also told me if they pump the tanks and get all the bad out they still dont get it all a company has to come in and clean the hole system from tank to pump before they can use it again or they will get another fine. He said it dont take a lot of sludge to show in the test. They can pull a sample from the tank with some kind of dipper and also get a sample from the pump and then compare the differance between them to see if it is between the tank and pump like mabey a break in the line. All the new pumps have the pump in the tank what we stick in our trucks is just a hose. If they were out checking the pumps you probley ant the only one having problems. Good luck with it....

Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ff1210
He also told me if they pump the tanks and get all the bad out they still dont get it all a company has to come in and clean the hole system from tank to pump before they can use it again or they will get another fine. He said it dont take a lot of sludge to show in the test. They can pull a sample from the tank with some kind of dipper and also get a sample from the pump and then compare the differance between them to see if it is between the tank and pump like mabey a break in the line. All the new pumps have the pump in the tank what we stick in our trucks is just a hose. If they were out checking the pumps you probley ant the only one having problems. Good luck with it....

But aren't they supposed to have filters between the tank and the pump? That would have caught any debris which was instead caught by the filters in his truck.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
remhaust
Senior User

I agree 100%. There are filters before putting into ur vehicle. But doesnt mean that water or gas is in there. Change out fuel and filters and run it.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I had a friend at work get a bad tank of diesel in his 2001 PSD ,a good percentage of it was water and it did ruin his injectors from lack of lubrication. The oil company that owned the gas station payed for everything.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:42 AM
remhaust
Senior User

Thats why I always run additive, for the lubing of the injectors, especially when i suspect bad fuel. I dont think that any debris got past the filters enough to cause damage to his injectors.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:55 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
The filters at gas station are 30mic or greater - the trucks filter is 7mic. No, those filters aint gonna stop nasty crap from getting to your truck.

Oil companies (gas suppliers) have spent 100's of 1000's of dollars for 'mistakes' that lead to this kind of problem.

I work in the BIG tanks where the trucks who bring fuel to gas station fill up. There are several ways what happened to you can happen...

Quick Reply: I'm now a victim...