Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Junior User

dan.alger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile HELP!! exhaust leak from flex pipe.....

I have an 04 6.0 that was running real rough, took it to ford today they said it had multiple problems....
1) bad injectors in #2 and #5
2)injector control mod had been replaced, computer and mod were not undated to match.
3)They also said I have an exhaust in the "flex" pipe under the turbo, the mech said that it was leaking where the pipe is made to flex so it needs to be replaced. This is why my turbo lag was so bad...

I had them replace the to bad injectors and update the injector control mod problem and the truck now purrs like a kitty...no more missing and seems to run great.. The problem is I could not afford to fix the exhaust leak and my turbo lag is really bad until higher RPM's. Has anyone replaced this pipe? Whats the name of the pipe so I can purchase a new one? can an exhaust shop do it cheaper, ford wanted $1100....thank you
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Posting Guru

wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.
Dan.alger its not that hard to do the turbo has to come off and then unbolt the pipe sounds easy but the bolts on the pipe are a PIA . PartsGuyEd . com has the y pipe for 170 plus shipping under 2 bills to your house. I just did mine a couple months ago took me 2 weeks but 1 week for part and i cleaned the turbo while it was off and i am slow. You can do it in a weekend if you try.Oh would not left exhaust shop do it they could really F something up.
2003, 250 XLT cc 4x4 sb 6.0 mods,scan gauge2, coolant filter, the blue spring,and hypertect max energy on stage 1 only,high idle mod,stock down pipe 4inch straight pipe ,no kitty ,welded egr cooler, new oil cooler and that bad **** 03 turbo whistle free mod DAVID
Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Junior User

thank you, I haven't personally looked yet but it is a y pipe? is it the only flex pipe off the turbo?

Also on ur mods you state you have a welded egr cooler, did you unplug ur egr and what did you weld up? Thanks, new to the diesel and trying to learn all that I can so I can improve mine....
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Posting Guru

wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes it is the only one . My egr valve is still in place and plugged in , the egr cooler is welded, the ends where exhaust enter and exit. water still flows though it this way it looks stock. Just a cheap way of doing egr cooler delete.
2003, 250 XLT cc 4x4 sb 6.0 mods,scan gauge2, coolant filter, the blue spring,and hypertect max energy on stage 1 only,high idle mod,stock down pipe 4inch straight pipe ,no kitty ,welded egr cooler, new oil cooler and that bad **** 03 turbo whistle free mod DAVID
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Junior User

first, I truely thank you for your advice and help........

Now, I have another question for ya
Do you pull your egr valve and clean? and how do you feel about just unpluging? Is this something I should be doing because I never have....
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
The y-pipe is actually two sections with a flex in each. If it's leaking on the passenger side then all you need is the up-pipe section but I don't know if it's available from Ford separately. $1100 is ridiculous to replace it IMHO. I have a used up-pipe I'll sell for an excellent price if it's not available separately and you're interested.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Postmaster

2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Where I work we have 2 04's in our fleet of trucks.

Both of them have the same exact turbo lag problem.

But after they spool up they take off.

Are there any noticeable symptoms of the up pipe being cracked besides turbo lag..diesel fumes in cab? Any hissing?

2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 DBL Cab
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Junior User

No hissing, just fumes in the cab...I haven't got under the truck to see for myself this is what the mech at ford told me. I'm not sure if it is the up or the down side....just really gutless till it spools
Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Junior User

I know what you mean, they charged me $1400 to replace 2 injectors thats is why I am on here looking for help.....
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Postmaster

2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.
It's really not a bad job to attempt yourself of your comfortable working on things.

Probably should only take you a day. IMHO.

Take the turbo out, remove the clamps to the egr cooler, take the 4 13mm nuts holding the up pipe to the manifolds off and it should slide right up and out.

2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 DBL Cab
Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Posting Guru

Also what Tyler said about fumes in cab, while its parked running with heat on do you smell fumes in cab. And yes egr valve needs to be kept clean. You also might want to read the tech folder a lot of info there and just reading other peoples threads slash problems has taught me a lot.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Junior User

Tyler, I just noticed in a earlier thread you had 2 injectors go and you were concerned that maybe your programmer had something to do with it. I just had to replace 2 injectors also and was curious if you have had any more issues since you put ur programmer back on? am I safe to do the same?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Post Fiend

Nice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to behold
The Y pipe is just a PIA to do.
I did mine over the winter with a better unit from Elite Diesel.
It took me about 4 hrs.
Take the alt off and then I used these directions for replacing a turbo to get to the y pipe.
Also get the turbo o-ring kit for a dealer, it is like $20.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...%20Removal.pdf
"Whatever You Are Be a Good One". Abe Lincoln
The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.' - Mark Twain
Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Post Fiend

Copedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant future
Seems to me the junkyard would be your best bet.
Ian, 1 each (That's my nomenclature so don't wear it out) 97 F350 7.3L Auto 4WD Crew Cab 230K (Cali model bummer). MODS: HOOOOGA! horn, 6637, Service/Utility bed, 3" DP, Testing that Cat, 120v IDM. US ARMY OAS, OJE-IFOR, SFOR,2,5, OJG-KFOR, OIF, OEF. To ALL that have served, THANK YOU!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Posting Guru

Junk yard is not the place for this Y pipe needs to be new item
Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
64, cylinder, e350, egr, exhaust, flex, flexi, ford, forum, head, leak, leaking, pipe, truck, valve