FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good morning Kansas!

Up and at em, its Saturday.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:17 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Good Saturday morning everyone. We just started a new page Rick.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:14 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Good morning Kansas! Del, looks like you just need one more post to get that magic 8!

Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Good Morning Gentlemen!

Old 01-24-2015, 04:13 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Found a nice multi-purpose welder I think I'll pick up with my taxes. Just a chinese one, but still, something I can learn on before moving on to a nice Miller, or a Lincoln if I have the natural gift for it. I think I'll start with TIG, instead of MIG. I'll just have to price an Argon tank, and get an Air compressor. The compressor I was going to get anyway, since I think Air tools will speed up work, instead of manually wrenching all the time! Anyone here weld, as a hobby? And might be able to get some tips and tricks once I start playing around with it?

Old 01-24-2015, 06:07 PM
husker
Hotshot
Good evening and I needed to post to get over that hump Rick.

John, I have a Century mig that I use and I can make chicken crap with it. Sometimes the stuff I work on even sticks together.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 PM
KOESTNER
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by husker
Good Saturday morning everyone. We just started a new page Rick.
Good morning Kansas!

That we did Del. This thread is getting some miles on it.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by husker
Good evening and I needed to post to get over that hump Rick.

John, I have a Century mig that I use and I can make chicken crap with it. Sometimes the stuff I work on even sticks together.
Chicken crap? I assume you mean small shiite with it?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 AM
husker
Hotshot
Good morning all. I'm over 8000 posts now. Thanks for the heads up Rick.

John if you have seen piles of chicken poop, then you will know what my welds look like. They are not those nice even things of beauty that a real welder is able to do. Once in a while I come close for a short bit. Part of the problem for me is I don't weld often enough to regain skill these days and the second handicap is my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Well Del, we used to have chickens back at my dads farm, so I'm aware of the consistency! I know they make masks that have a little magnifier in them. About the same as reading glasses, but if you wore glasses, I'm sure that would work too. I don't know how good I'll be, but I keep practicing until I get proficient, and then start trying different things. I learn the best by failing or marginally succeeding and then I don't copy the mistakes the next time.

I guess mechanics is just one of those things I was naturally gifted at I guess. Always did like tearing things apart, and putting them back together again. I see computer repair as similar to mechanics, only using a different set of tools to do the job, and the rest follows.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 PM
KOESTNER
FTE Legend
[QUOTE=husker;15026723]Good morning all. I'm over 8000 posts now. Thanks for the heads up Rick.

Good morning Kansas!

Welcome Moanday, its here again.

Congratulations Dell on your milestone 8 OH,OH,OH posts.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I made the furnace this weekend. We got a couple of cans to melt together but never quite got it to liquefy. So we were probably only running at about 800 degrees. So maybe next weekend we will try again.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
I guess mechanics is just one of those things I was naturally gifted at I guess. Always did like tearing things apart, and putting them back together again. I see computer repair as similar to mechanics, only using a different set of tools to do the job, and the rest follows.
I wish I was gifted in mechanics, I'm not the greatest at it but for some reason I just keep jumping into mechanical projects

I work in IT for a living so I know what you mean about fixing PCs being close to mechanics, been doing it for almost a decade now. If you think working on personal devices is fun, you should try networking them together across WAN infrastructures and building servers, it's a blast!

Best part is that it doesn't take forever to scrub grease off your hands and clothes at the end of the day

Old 01-26-2015, 09:35 PM
KOESTNER
FTE Legend
Good morning Kansas!

Its Taco Tuesday.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:57 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 82'Stepside
I wish I was gifted in mechanics, I'm not the greatest at it but for some reason I just keep jumping into mechanical projects

I work in IT for a living so I know what you mean about fixing PCs being close to mechanics, been doing it for almost a decade now. If you think working on personal devices is fun, you should try networking them together across WAN infrastructures and building servers, it's a blast!

Best part is that it doesn't take forever to scrub grease off your hands and clothes at the end of the day

Yea, when I was maybe 10, I tore apart our AST computer we got in 1995. First Windows computer on the market. Thing was trash compared to what we have now.. Only thing I couldn't get to work afterward was the 3.5, but that never really worked anyway!! Used that free make your own website program that came with WIN-ME. Uploaded pictures on computer parts.

I don't know much about wide area networking. However, I did want to build a NAS server when I get back, and that way, I have a centralized location to store all my data, that won't get dropped or broken, and all my hard drives will fit in one space. I figure, whats 8TB in one place, or 8TB spread over my 4 or 5 hard drives(if you count the second hard drive in my laptop caddy). It's a pity server racks are so dang expensive!

Killgore, did you use a fan on your furnace? Did you use Propane?
What was your crucible made out of?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GOOD MORNING!!