6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

exhaust filter cleaning message question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:18 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure I'll miss a bunch of the regen messages on the display. I happened to be looking at mine when it flashed the regen message at 249.8 miles on the freeway. The message only lasted about 2 seconds or so. If you aren't looking for it, you'll miss it.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
I've had my truck since Aug 2010. It has 6000 miles on it and I've only seen the cleaning exhaust filter message twice in that time frame. They are of little consequence. I have noticed once or twice after parking, the distinctive odor of a regen, but it's never made me feel to concerned. I figure if FOMOCO didn't think it was a very big deal to make sure I knew it was in regen, then why should I worry about it. I keep my fluids where they need to be and drive it.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marchare011
I keep my fluids where they need to be and drive it.
+1
at least until my warranty gets close to expiring

Old 12-23-2014, 02:52 AM
429martin
Senior User
Yeag I got back from shopping with the family and picking up the Christmas tree and 2 blocks from home I got the Exhaust Filter Cleaning message. I wasn't going to keep driving with the family and groceries in the back. I'll take it for a long highway run next time I started. I was doing city driving and not hammering the pedal that is probably why. Will it damage anything is what i am wondering?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:46 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 429martin
Yeag I got back from shopping with the family and picking up the Christmas tree and 2 blocks from home I got the Exhaust Filter Cleaning message. I wasn't going to keep driving with the family and groceries in the back. I'll take it for a long highway run next time I started. I was doing city driving and not hammering the pedal that is probably why. Will it damage anything is what i am wondering?
no. next time you get up to temp it will start again..
if you keep stopping it before it finishes, you will eventually get the 'drive to clean exhaust filter' message.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:04 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
if you keep stopping it before it finishes, you will eventually get the 'drive to clean exhaust filter' message.
Been driving the 6.7L's for just under three years in mostly city driving. Only seen this message once. Work is just under ten miles from the house. Occasionally, if I know that the truck is in regen, do I take a little extra drive to let the regen complete. Like the HPFP failure issue we read about here, the exhaust valves, I don't worry or even think about regens any more. I just enjoy the heck out of owning and driving my truck.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Been driving the 6.7L's for just under three years in mostly city driving. Only seen this message once. Work is just under ten miles from the house. Occasionally, if I know that the truck is in regen, do I take a little extra drive to let the regen complete. Like the HPFP failure issue we read about here, the exhaust valves, I don't worry or even think about regens any more. I just enjoy the heck out of owning and driving my truck.
yeh, lots of complaints on the 6.4s about the message blocking the speedo and why it was up so long, so now it is just a blip..

Old 12-23-2014, 07:09 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Just happened to me. After that message, I kept driving, and it said 'cleaning exhaust filter.' Then the orange wrench appeared on the dash. Took the truck in and the dealer said the code it threw basically said I am not letting a regen finish. I think it would be awesome if the regen didnt start just before I get home every single time. Dealer said there is a software 'upgrade' that will allow a manual regen now, but it isn't covered under warranty. I'm fighting for its release without payment... That sounds like a fix for a big problem that we shouldn't be charged for.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:03 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wait until the LOW FUEL warning comes on AND THEN the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" flashes on and your about 30 miles from the nearest town.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:02 PM
pstroke67
5th Wheeling
OCR operator commanded regeneration is not just for cab and chassis there for all f250 -550 6.7 as long as they have the basic ic level and not the upgraded ic with bells and whistles and that option does not come from factory that way you would have to take it to dealer and have them turn on the feature OCR was mainly created for customers that trucks constantly idle a lot or drive at low speeds for extended period of time and also unfortunately turning on the OCR capability is not covered under any warranty and you will have to pay to have it turned it on

Old 12-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Cuman80
New User
My 'Cleaning Exhaust' comes on frequently but only last 20secs or so. I noticed it coming on more often then got the 'Drive to Clean' message. It lasted 10mins or so. Shortly thereafter I got a message saying 'Stop Safely Now' and about 5 secs later the engine shut off. Left me stranded in a blind curve at the bottom of the mountain, extremely fortunate no one rounded the curve before I could roll backwards onto the shoulder. Ended up being an EGT sensor which was replaced under warranty. Three weeks later and the same thing happened, this time in the middle of a bridge, engine shut off as soon as message came on. Once again, an EGT sensor ( actually two his time) replaced under warranty. One week later, the same thing. At this point I was ready to throw in the towel and sell although I love this truck. The Ford mechanic said there are 7 sensors and it's not uncommon when one goes the others follow. He did a manual regen and the computer said exhaust was still 80% blocked. He said the first reading said it was 147% blocked. Don't think that's possible but oh well. After the second manual regen, exhaust was clean. He also told me some models allowed the owner to do the manual regen instead of taking to the shop. Most important advise he gave was not to use the cheap DEF fluid (WalMart, etc.) but buy the Ford DEF fluid as well as the Ford Cetane additive. I've done so and no more problems. Just hit 75,000 miles on a 2012 F-250 Lariat 4x4.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:24 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Cuman80
My 'Cleaning Exhaust' comes on frequently but only last 20secs or so. I noticed it coming on more often then got the 'Drive to Clean' message. It lasted 10mins or so. Shortly thereafter I got a message saying 'Stop Safely Now' and about 5 secs later the engine shut off. Left me stranded in a blind curve at the bottom of the mountain, extremely fortunate no one rounded the curve before I could roll backwards onto the shoulder. Ended up being an EGT sensor which was replaced under warranty. Three weeks later and the same thing happened, this time in the middle of a bridge, engine shut off as soon as message came on. Once again, an EGT sensor ( actually two his time) replaced under warranty. One week later, the same thing. At this point I was ready to throw in the towel and sell although I love this truck. The Ford mechanic said there are 7 sensors and it's not uncommon when one goes the others follow. He did a manual regen and the computer said exhaust was still 80% blocked. He said the first reading said it was 147% blocked. Don't think that's possible but oh well. After the second manual regen, exhaust was clean. He also told me some models allowed the owner to do the manual regen instead of taking to the shop. Most important advise he gave was not to use the cheap DEF fluid (WalMart, etc.) but buy the Ford DEF fluid as well as the Ford Cetane additive. I've done so and no more problems. Just hit 75,000 miles on a 2012 F-250 Lariat 4x4.
there are only 4 sensors.. + the NOx sensor.

sounds like the big issue was the unfinished regens which left the DPF clogged and the truck couldn't figure out what to do

Old 12-25-2014, 06:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuman80

DEF fluid meets the standard from walmart. Don't buy into the ford is better. It is not.

The ford fill spout works best so you don't over fill it. But it stops there.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Exhaust filter cleaning (regeneration) happens in two different ways, active regen and passive regen. Active is when you get the message on the dash and the fuel economy drops because the pcm is directing extra fuel to be injected into the exhaust to combust in the DPF to burn off the excess soot. Passive regen generally happens when you are running at a steady state for an extended length of time under a load, as in when hauling/towing on the highway. This causes temps in the DPF to get high enough to burn off the excess soot without the introduction of the extra fuel.

You will get many more "active" regen cycles when you do lots of city miles since the DPF temps don't get high enough in that situation.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Oh yeah, ALL DEF is the same, made to a specific formula, buy it where it is cheapest.

I buy all of mine at the bulk pumps at the truck stops, cheapest way.

Quick Reply: exhaust filter cleaning message question