1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Sky RSK Track Bar Bracket hitting Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the way you are thinking. I would start with the smaller bolt also. Then go with other options if that is unsuccessful. Re drilling the drop bracket or redrilling the Tuff Country bracket if possible.

I was also wondering if you could bend the drop bracket to clear the sway bar sorta like below.

|
\

kinda crude but hopefully you see what I mean. The bushings may wear a bit more quickly that way though.

Just curious how close is your sway bar to the trac bar? I have approx 1.5 inches with no problem. And since I used a 1/2" plate for my drop bracket my bolt wouldn't be the one hitting. It would be the end of the trac bar.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Tom S
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
I agree with the way you are thinking. I would start with the smaller bolt also. Then go with other options if that is unsuccessful. Re drilling the drop bracket or redrilling the Tuff Country bracket if possible.

I was also wondering if you could bend the drop bracket to clear the sway bar sorta like below.

|
\

kinda crude but hopefully you see what I mean. The bushings may wear a bit more quickly that way though.

Just curious how close is your sway bar to the trac bar? I have approx 1.5 inches with no problem. And since I used a 1/2" plate for my drop bracket my bolt wouldn't be the one hitting. It would be the end of the trac bar.

Neal which direction has the much clearance? I am guessing 1.5 inches on a 45deg angle. Some pics would be awesome if you have time.

Tom

Old 04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
I will try to get pics today. It is pretty out right now.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not a business and do not make a profit on these things. The only thing I make is friends.
Neal.....you are the man, I tried to rep you but I'm still in rep jail
Somebody rep Neal...please

Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Neal.....you are the man, I tried to rep you but I'm still in rep jail
Somebody rep Neal...please
I gave him a nice whack for you

Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm in rep jail for everyone on the site. =\

Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll send some along. Beans away!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. You rock!

I was thinking last night, I think I was on my thinking throne. LOL
Anyways. I was wondering if you made a plate similiar to the sky or whatever version you have. But it would have to be longer on the drivers side. Then you take your stock bracket and mount it on the back of the plat facing the oposite way. I was looking at mine last night. If we were to rty that like I said the drop bracket would need to be longer on the drivers side above the chunk/pupmkin or whatever you call it where you are. By doing this you may have unlimitedmounting heights. No longer would you be restricted because the crossmember hangs down. You would be partially beside of it.

Just yet another thought that comes from the stink throne.

I got some pics of mine:

Test Fit

This is when I realized that I need to shave some off of the bottom of my drop bracket. Too close to the sway bar.

Still clamped in place and traced with a marker.

After cutting down and shaving a tad over 1/2" off of the bottom.

Next I reinstalled it and reclamped it back on. Marked the lower holes. Removed it and drilled it. Put it back on for final test fit. Removed it again to be painted. I used hammered paint, silver.
Then reinstalled it.

Here are the final installed pictures.

I hope this helps some

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM
AZStang
Freshman User
Thanks for the pictures Neal. Your setup looks pretty much the same as mine. Although, it looks like your track bar bracket is almost an inch or so lower than mine based on how much clearance there is between the frame cross member and the passenger side track bar bracket bolt. Plus your drop bracket is 1/8" thicker than mine. I'm using Sky's drop plate by the way.

And your sway bar doesn't hit the track bar bolt? How much did you lengthen the end links? What is the measurement from the center of the front hub to the top of the wheel opening in the fender? Mine is 26".

I put a shaved down bolt in my track bar this morning. I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but will post my results. The head of the bolt ended up being 1/4" shorter than the stock bolt, so it will hopefully be enough.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
The height of my fender is 42.5" from the ground. Not sure on the measurement form the center of the hub.

I have close to 1.5 inches between my trac bar and the sway bar and it has not hit yet. Plus mine is a tad forward because my drop bracket is thicke so it would not be my bolt that would hit. It would be the trac bar.

I will have to measure my end links again also. I can't remember how long we had to make them.

I hope the smaller bolt head works for you.
How is Tom doing with his? His isn't in yet is it?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
AZStang
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
The height of my fender is 42.5" from the ground. Not sure on the measurement form the center of the hub.

I have close to 1.5 inches between my trac bar and the sway bar and it has not hit yet. Plus mine is a tad forward because my drop bracket is thicke so it would not be my bolt that would hit. It would be the trac bar.

I will have to measure my end links again also. I can't remember how long we had to make them.

I hope the smaller bolt head works for you.
How is Tom doing with his? His isn't in yet is it?
Thanks Neal. The center of the hub measurement takes the difference in tire height out of the equation. Mine is 42" to the ground though as well. Is that 1.5" the vertical distance? Like this:

Assuming yes, I don't know why mine hits and yours doesn't. Maybe your axle is slightly forward of mine?

Don't worry about the end link measurements. I don't think it's that critical and they look to be the same in the pictures.

I didn't think Tom had installed his axle yet, but based on some of his recent comments, it sounds like he might have.

Shawn

Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Tom S
Senior User
I have to finish a bath remodel job first then the Dana 60 is the next project up.

Tom

Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Tom, Sounds like you don't have your priorities in order. LOL
Just kiddin' let us know how it goes.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Tom S
Senior User
In looking at all this it would seem like Neals would be worse for making contact then Shawns by my interpretation of the photos. Something is not making sense here.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
MHammer21
Elder User
Beans Sent!!! Guys like neal are the reason this site is so amazing and needed. if only the rest of the world could get along.

Quick Reply: Sky RSK Track Bar Bracket hitting Sway Bar