6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Head Rest Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Head Rest Cam

The head rest for the person in the middle rear seat blocks my view while trying to hitch up to the 5er. I thought it might be a good place for another camera to hook up to my Cab Cam. The mod was pretty simple, I used a 1/2" thick piece of black delrin to make the mount and then carved a little bit of foam from the back side of the headrest. If the camera was not quite so big there would be no need to relieve the back side of the head rest, so this is a cloth seat only mod. The most difficult part of the mod was getting the fabric cover off of the foam core, and that wasn't too difficult.
When I get the 5er out of the shed I will post more photos of hitching to it. Next I will need lights in the back of the bed in case I need to hitch it at night. Damn, I'm out of upfitters switches, I need a bank of 8. That would be cool.

-Gavin

Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool, very.

So with leather???

Also, how was it wired? Other may know, but I am challenged in this area...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
don.joyce59
Senior User
I just fold the back seat down and raise my seat as high as it will go, then I can see the hitch in my mirror.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 5er has a reflective piece of stainless steel on the front that is supposed to equal a mirror. Or a close reasonable facsimile thereof. It works once you get used to it.

I like the headrest camera thing. Neat idea. Do you have the Ford Lockpics? Does the camera display on the factory screen? Where did you get the camera? More questions to follow, I'm sure.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Jack,
The camera is wired, Cab Cam also has cables of various lengths, very easy to hook up. I was assuming the leather head rest was like others I have seen, where the leather has to be sewn in place. If you can remove the leather cover, then it should be no problem to make the mod.

Don,
I don't have the luxury of an empty back seat since there is usually all of my son's "stuff" back there when we are camping and bow cases etc. when we're hunting.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice, now you need the centre console from a F650 and you can add extra banks of switches, air switches for seats and what not. Look up F650 upfitter in 6.0 forum, guy did pics and a writeup, might even be a writeup in the tech folder. If you can do this one you can do both. The rear leather is likely naugahyde and the shells pull off just the same i believe....

Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Great idea! Since I can't have a secondary camera wired into the Nav unit yet, I just removed the center headrest from the truck as I never have more than 2 people in the back seat. This gives me better usage of the rear view mirror during regular driving as well.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I also removed that headrest after about a week of ownership. It's wrapped in plastic and stored, just in case I ever sell the truck

Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
marchare011,
I've had this video system in my last 3 trucks. The display has inputs for 3 cameras. I have one on back of the 5er so I can see my ATV trailer and another between the tailgate and license plate. I think the center head rest is a nice safety feature for anyone sitting in that seat. When we are traveling my son likes to sit in the center seat and have the notebook computer or his DVD player on the center console. The head rest is a hell of a lot softer than the rear windshield in case you get rear ended, and that's the whole point of putting the camera there in the first place, I don't want to remove it.
For any of you guys that do have the factory nav system, have any of you found a way to hack into camera inputs to add more cameras? That would be way cool.

Link to CabCam systems.
CabCAM Video System (Includes 7" Monitor and 1 Camera)

Camera on the back of the 5er.

View from the camera on the rear of the 5er.

Bumper cam.

View from the bumper cam.

-Gavin

Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
If I would have paid attention to your first post, I would have seen the aftermarket screen. Thanks Gavin for indulging me. I like the extra cameras. My wife didn't like me pulling double with the toys so we bot the toy hauler in my sig and then consequentially the truck in my sig.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by marchare011
If I would have paid attention to your first post, I would have seen the aftermarket screen. Thanks Gavin for indulging me. I like the extra cameras. My wife didn't like me pulling double with the toys so we bot the toy hauler in my sig and then consequentially the truck in my sig.
It's funny how the happens, getting a new 5er and then you need a new truck! I've been there.
I thought about getting a toy hauler, the problem is that a lot of places we ride you need to trailer to the trail head and camp somewhere else. What would be cool is to have a 2 place aluminum trailer with a folding tongue that would attach to the back of the toy hauler.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
It's funny how the happens, getting a new 5er and then you need a new truck! I've been there.
I thought about getting a toy hauler, the problem is that a lot of places we ride you need to trailer to the trail head and camp somewhere else. What would be cool is to have a 2 place aluminum trailer with a folding tongue that would attach to the back of the toy hauler.
Wife and I are going boon docking around Moab in June. I've been thinking about checking with a local rental shop or atv shop about renting a trailer while there. Better hurry I guess, June is getting close.

Anybody think a hitch rack would support an 800 lb 4 wheeler? I could carry one in the bed and one on a hitch rack. Just for short trips. Don't want to break camp every day.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Wife and I are going boon docking around Moab in June. I've been thinking about checking with a local rental shop or atv shop about renting a trailer while there. Better hurry I guess, June is getting close.

Anybody think a hitch rack would support an 800 lb 4 wheeler? I could carry one in the bed and one on a hitch rack. Just for short trips. Don't want to break camp every day.
Do you have enough room for a little collapsible utility trailer?

We were at Buena Vista last June, lots of great trails- Tin Cup, Grizzly Lake. This June we are going to Texas Creek and then on to Lake City. Both of those places we can ride right out of camp.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Do you have enough room for a little collapsible utility trailer?

We were at Buena Vista last June, lots of great trails- Tin Cup, Grizzly Lake. This June we are going to Texas Creek and then on to Lake City. Both of those places we can ride right out of camp.
I will have to do some research on the fold up trailer. Thanks for the idea. We can ride out of camp, it's just that some of the places we wanted to see are 20-30 miles away.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
I will have to do some research on the fold up trailer. Thanks for the idea. We can ride out of camp, it's just that some of the places we wanted to see are 20-30 miles away.
Now you've got me looking at toy haulers! Thanks.
My wife is no help, she caught me looking at floor plans and said
"I could use more counter space". Here we go......

Quick Reply: Head Rest Cam