1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

84' coachmen e350, which generator for compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84' coachmen e350, which generator for compartment?

Hey guys,

My motorhome doesn't have a generator, so temporarily I've mounted one to the rear bumper (removable). But the generator compartment, I'm currently using for storage, has fuel line and electrical run to it already, and a control panel inside by the rear bed. Does anybody know which generators went in here? I'm thinking down the road it would be cleaner and less work to get the right one and mount it inside.

thanks.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has a 4KW Onan in an open compartment (it has a lockable door). It mounts to the frame and has its on 12 volt fuel pump that pulls from the main tank (wish it was LP) I see "RV" gensets on Craigs all the time I would get the measurements you have to work with then start shopping.
regards

Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Diesel motorhome has a 4k Onan as well, but has it's own tank as the engine is a Diesel.

It's the original 1987 Onan from when the camper was made, with Points ignition.

With a Austin Mini muffler, loud as hell

Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
Thanks guys. The one I borrowed from my uncle is only 21amp, but I think it'll still run it. The onans look like they're about 500-800 bucks, if we use it enough this year then next year I'll get one for it. It'll make things easier for me.

Red

Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X3 on the Onan.

That's pretty good pricing for a 4K generator. I've seen Onans priced at +$2500 in the Northern catalog - that would make the generator worth more than the rest of my motorhome!

The 4K rating is generally sized to run the rooftop Coleman A/C. 13,500 Btu/hr = 3.9 kW. 21 amps is only 3.3 kW, so your bumper mount generator is a tad undersized.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
That's the main reason I am taking it, I thought when I looked at the power on the 13.5 BTU it showed max pull of 13amps. damnit, I guess it won't matter right now, since I won't need air where I'm going, but it's one of the most important things in the summer.

Just more f-ing money to spend.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
resurrecting this, a buddy's son pulled a 6kw out of a motorhome, has low hours and runs (needs fuel pump it looks like though), got it for 500. I was wondering if guys could post pics for me of their coaches with it installed, it should fit, but very tightly, there is insulation in the compartment already, as well as a fuel line run to it (if I remember right from when i changed the fuel pump) and electrical from a control panel inside. Any help would be appreciated.

do you guys have the exhaust routed throught the floor of the compartment with the muffler underneath? do you wrap it in heat cloth where it goes through the floor?

Red

Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Dago Red
That's the main reason I am taking it, I thought when I looked at the power on the 13.5 BTU it showed max pull of 13amps. damnit, I guess it won't matter right now, since I won't need air where I'm going, but it's one of the most important things in the summer.

Just more f-ing money to spend.
You read correctly. A 4.0 will easily pull your cooler as will a 2.8 and a 3.0.

Steve

Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Dago Red
Freshman User
Thanks, the small generator I was using wouldn't, it died when I tried, but this new 6kw is plenty big, I just want some info ahead of time on the installation before I wrestle it in there (I'm actually going to use the forklift to move it around and get it in there )

Red

Old 08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Dago Red
Thanks, the small generator I was using wouldn't, it died when I tried, but this new 6kw is plenty big, I just want some info ahead of time on the installation before I wrestle it in there (I'm actually going to use the forklift to move it around and get it in there )

Red
I actually use a Yamaha 2400 watts surge capacity 2000 watt continuous on my truck to run the ACs I work on. Since they manufacturers stopped installing hard start kits, it is more of a strain for my genset and I don't like to work it hard for long as it is on the edge of being too small in hot weather.

The one thng I tell folks about gensets is you really have to careful of contractor models and cheapies. When I put a meter on em, I seldom find they put out anything close to their ratings and their voltage regulation is a joke. I get calls on them constantly when the campers come to town for NASCAR and all I can tell the owners is go buy a real generator. Campers with ACs put a continuous fairly heavy load on generator, which cheap models simply can't handle very well.

Steve

Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
Thanks Steve, I would have really liked to just get a couple of those little honda's This is an Onan RV model, the guy had it in a coach that he ran 2 AC's on, so I'm sure it's more than enough for me. Anybody have any pictures of them in a coachman compartment or any tips on the muffler etc.?

Red

Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
I have a 6K gen in a coachman but it is a Class "A", I do not think a photo would do you much good. But I can post it if you like.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got a pic of my noisy old pig

Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Just for my curiosity how are these vented to avoid carbon monoxide from collecting in the compartment or seeping into the RV itself?

FWIW the Onan name has been around and quite well known as one of the best gensets for a lot of uses. Honda engines are another great option since they're typically so darned reliable.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JWA
Just for my curiosity how are these vented to avoid carbon monoxide from collecting in the compartment or seeping into the RV itself?

FWIW the Onan name has been around and quite well known as one of the best gensets for a lot of uses. Honda engines are another great option since they're typically so darned reliable.

Sit in a sheetmetal compartment totally sealed from interior. Code requires exhaust certain distance from any window and CO detector is also in code.

Steve

Quick Reply: 84' coachmen e350, which generator for compartment?