Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Elder User

scottfreeman is starting off with a positive reputation.
DIESEL

That Diesel is heavier than your 460 by probably half again as much as your elephant weighs.

"Its not what You know, but Who you know...."
Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Postmaster

crazed87bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you think running the 8" diesel springs with the spring rate of 600 will my 460 make the springs squat enough to correct the shackle angle and also not make it a stiff ride? Or are they to stiff of spring to flex with my 460 and make it to harsh of a ride?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Elder User

Too Stiff

I would Stay with the springs you have, I think the diesel springs would be too stiff. The weight of the engine and front sheet metal will flatten those springs right out. You will also want to make shackles that are longer than the factory units. The short stockers will bind way before the full compression is ever realized. Mine are six inches longer than stock. I think most guys are running with 3-4" longer than stock. I made mine out of 3/8" flat bar and welded a tube in between them to add strength. I installed these before I installed the SD leaves and can't find a pic of the total package. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Postmaster

I got the front shackles and solid leaf mounts out of a super duty I'm thinking about mounting in the front of the truck the shackle bolted up to my existing shackle hanger will swap this out for the super duty one once I have full weight on the front so I know I can use the stock shackle position the solid front leaf mounts will take some work if I want them on only reason I want these are because they will give me an extra inch and a half total lift and you get a tow hook at the same time but you would need to add about a 3" extension off the front of the frame not sure if I want to do that or not ill have to post pics of what I mean when I get home
Old 04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Elder User

here it is.....

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Postmaster

thanks for the pic what is your truck you have the SD springs on? any kind of lift or stock sd springs? here's some pics i said about i got some SD leaf spring mounts from the junk yard got the solid ones for the rear leaf shackle flip and shackles and got the front leaf shackles and solid front mounts that will also give you a tow hook because of how they mount the front shackles for the SD are about a 1 3/4'' longer you can see the length difference stock to SD in the pic old shackle against SD i also got the shackle mount from the SD and will bolt it in when i know i have the right shackle angle then there's the front solid SD leaf mount held in place against the stock one you can see i will need to extend the front of the frame to be able to use these i don't know if i should do this or leave stock ones in place any thoughts anyone? i do like the idea of them as the front three holes in the mounts will bolt to a tow hook coming out the topside front of the frame rails and it will give me an extra about 1 1/2'' of lift bolt hole is lower on SD mount and these springs are made to work with these mounts to begin with see pics and let me know your thoughts just waiting on engine mounts to figure out final ride height so i can start the rear leafs and move the mounts

shackles

SD shackle mount

SD solid mount

Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Elder User

Modify em....

I'd cut the front protruding section that mounts under the frame off the mount....add a couple holes at the new front edge and run with it.....I made a new crossmember for mine that incorporated a receiver tube and gave about the same lift. I used stock SD mainleaves w 4 of the long leaves from the HB pack. Knowing what I know now I would have just run the stock SD leaves. Make sure that the axle centerline will be the same with the longer SD leaves. i think I moved mine forward a touch. My pickup is a '71 F250 4x. It is actually mounted on a '75-ish frame. Two differences that I know of, different wheel base and the later one runs an NP205 case. I fixed the wheelbase when I put the 64" shivy leaves in the rear w the shackle flip. Both swaps were worth the effort. Low mile springs and lift for $250.

[/quote]

Last edited by scottfreeman; 04-12-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: additonal
Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Elder User

This is the ol' girl.....

Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Postmaster

Is that pic of how it sits now after the spring swaps? Did you gain any height with the stock SD leafs? Also could you post some pics of your front solid mount setup and crossmember and how you bolted it all together? Good idea on cutting down the mounts ill have to check when it isn't raining out and see if I can do it that way I to was thinking of making up a better crossmember while I adapted the SD solid mounts including tow hooks and a receiver we will see
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Elder User

I used the factory holes in the frame and ran the side plates up to the top of the frame, I tend to overbuild stuff. I wanted the mount bolts to be in double sheer. 14 grade 8 bolts holding that unit on there.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Postmaster

made some progress got the front crossmember/spring mounts off of the frame and bolted the SD solid front mounts on nd shackles for a test fit i am also adding a hitch to the front which will be my new crossmember doesn't show it in the pics but the hitch will have 5/8'' steel plate on each side of the inner frame welded on to the ends of the hitch and on the bottom of it they will be drilled/tapped and will be used as my bolting point for the solid mounts also so i can unbolt the crossmember for any reason. been busy so not much has changed i'm about ready to weld up the crossmember so i can finish up the front imstall

old crossmember out

new SD setup

the hitch will be up 5/8'' higher so it will be hidden behind the bumper i will have a hole cut and license plate flip up for access

Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Postmaster

some more pics

side of front solid SD mount adds another inch of lift the holes are lower then stock

SD rear shackle

im reusing the old stock shackle mount as the new SD ones push the shackle to far out and rub the inside of the frame anyone know if they offer new bushings for these? if so anyone have part number?

truck from the side gives a good amount of lift especially when put on 40'' tires
Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Elder User

Lookin' Good.

I didn't know it was a Crew Cab, now I'm jealous......

Check to make sure the brace on the shackles won't contact the frame on full compression. I hear bad things happen when they contact with any force.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Postmaster

yea it's a crew cab i haven't seen one other one of this era in person there was a 67 or 68 on craigslist last month but it was pretty much just a rolling frame and cab no bed front clip half interior missing. i would have got it but no way to get it home on the suspension i was debating if those shackles were to short and would hit the frame my opinion is they are. may be a dumb question but how would i go about seeing if they hit on full compression?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Elder User

Thumbs up compression

well.....there are a couple ways....

The easiest would be to measure the length of the spring (center of eye to center of eye) along the arch, the length that would be between the eyes if the spring were compressed flat. Then measure from the center of the front mount hole and then pivot the shackle all the way to the rear of the frame and measure the distance. You will want this distance to be longer than your flat spring length.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM