Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Senior User

Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.
Angry DP Tuner and HID'S

I have had a major problem of the engine stalling or dieing every time i would turn on my HID's with the DP Tuner installed, truck would not miss a beat with the DP uninstalled.

I have 5 pairs of HID's installed, headlights (hi and low beam), 6- 6" Hid's in the bumper and now 2 6" backup lights and have tried all of the myths!! relays,grounds,passenger side battery, relocating ballasts, short heavy gauge grounds, heavy gauge power wire ect.ect... I learned to live with it and turn on my headlight before i start the truck.. (most of the time) big pain in the *** when you hit your hi beams and the truck dies and i would have to put it in neutral and restart while driving down the road. until today when i wired in two 6" Hid backup lights and tied them in so they come on when i put the truck in reverse, well guess what.. the truck died every time i put it in reverse.. It is the RF that is interfering with the unshielded ends of the F-5 cable allowing a large amount of RF to interfere with the PCM and IDM and killing the engine. I took the F-5 cable and installed 2 Ferrite beads on it right before it entered the PCM. Guess what? no more stalling. no ck engine light, no water in fuel light, no more anything. I can turn on all 5 pairs of lights at the same time with the truck running and not even 1 hickup at all. the Ferrite beads that i used are like these ones:

FERRITE SPLIT BEAD, 7MM I.D. | AllElectronics.com

Click the image to open in full size.

I have read several threads on this proble on several forums and have never heard of a absolute fix.. This works 100%.

The added backup light is unreal from the Hid's

Looking at backup camera before:

And After:
00' F-350, ( LIVE TUNED) DP Tuner, GTP38R, AFE II intake, , MBRP 4" straight piped ex, 6" superlift, 37" Toyo M/T's on 20" diamo's 17 Karat's, 238cc DI Mini-Me's Hybirds. (2) backup camera's, and alot more i am forgeting....
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Great Fix. What lead you to the ferrite suppression beads?

Reps sent and thanks for sharing.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Senior User

Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.

00' F-350, ( LIVE TUNED) DP Tuner, GTP38R, AFE II intake, , MBRP 4" straight piped ex, 6" superlift, 37" Toyo M/T's on 20" diamo's 17 Karat's, 238cc DI Mini-Me's Hybirds. (2) backup camera's, and alot more i am forgeting....
Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Senior User

I use them in my line of work all the time on cat 5 cables to suppress RFI on wireless back hauls and wireless Access Points on transmission towers. after running a spectrum analyzer in the cab of the truck i found that as soon as i energized the HID's they omitted huge amounts of RF in a wide range of frequencies. Figured I would give it a shot and it worked!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Posting Guru

milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have these to install as well. Thought I had it fixed but fogs started making my abs light come on. Funny you posted this, I am installing mine tomorrow.

1979 f150 4x4
Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleroutdoors View Post
I have these to install as well. Thought I had it fixed but fogs started making my abs light come on. Funny you posted this, I am installing mine tomorrow.
are you installing the HID's or beads? if you need some PM me your address and I will send you a bead!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Senior User

bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerson View Post
.... after running a spectrum analyzer in the cab of the truck..... huge amounts of RF in a wide range of frequencies.
Dang, I guess RiffRaff will start selling us sprectrum analyzers now.

I can see the new "Cold Start" Thread now: Are you clear in the 500GHz range?

Great find and fix. Reps for the diligence.
2000 F250 4x4 CrewCab, 7.3L PSD T-500 HPOP ,OEM HD 4R100, DP F-5 w/60E/80E/60T/Decel, EGT/Tranny Temp/Boost Gauges on Pod, Black CPS, MBRP 4" turbo back, 6637 and zoodad holes, 6.0 31Row Tranny Cooler, External Tranny Filter, Hutch/Harpoon with pre-pump filter, Oil Crossover, RiffRaff plenum inserts & IC Boots, RiffRaff CCV delete, RiffRaff AIH Delete, Wicked Wheel, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff Frx, Firestone Air Bags
Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Snowboard season cometh..

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
I've been dealing with this issue as well and while it was maybe 30% of the time, it's been enough of a concern that I would pull over to turn on my headlights so that I wasn't moving at all. I'll be ordering these later today if I can't find a pair in my stash of spares.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Posting Guru

jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great work, reps to ya! you should contact DP and share your fix.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Posting Guru

milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have the hids, am installing the beads. Thanks for your offer.

1979 f150 4x4
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleroutdoors View Post
I have the hids, am installing the beads. Thanks for your offer.

Mark, what led you to the idea of trying the beads?? I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Postmaster

WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
your pm's are full! Are those the exact size needed?
7.3L, Termi-T1000,38R,RR Plenum Inserts, DP F5, 5"exh., 6"Spring Super Lift,RDP SS BL, RDP 650M dash,EV2's, TCT Trans, DFA RR, TYMAR, H&H, 6.0 IC, REDHEAD,D60,XRF BJ, Glock 21, and some things I forgot......
Work/Hunting/Family Truck.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger View Post
your pm's are full! Are those the exact size needed?
E-MAIL me, satman8@gmail.com, and yes the ones I have work perfect. If u need 1 let me know, ill mail u 1.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior User

PaulDH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
E-MAIL me, satman8@gmail.com, and yes the ones I have work perfect. If u need 1 let me know, ill mail u 1.
Cool discovery. Thanks for sharing this corrective fix. E-mail incoming.
2001 F250 Lariat CC LB, 4x4, 84,000 mi, Auto, Kelderman 4-Link Air Lift Suspension, AirRaid AIS, Banks Turbo - IC - 6 Gun Diesel Tuner - Billet TC - TransCommand, 40" Toyos, Dana 60 kingpin front axle, 5.13s, Detroits, Bully Dog Propane Injection, Kwik fuel Pump-in-Tank Mod, Harpoon, Standby fuel pump on frame rail (Hutch), Kwik FuelX & Return, Engine Oil/Transmission/Coolant Bypass, Delo ELC, KCM HPX, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, 50 cent mod, CCV, 140V IDM, PSC hydraulic ram assist PS ...
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Mark, what led you to the idea of trying the beads?? I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet?
Working with rf interference on networking cables.

1979 f150 4x4
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
99, dp, dptuner, f250, ford, forums, fuel, hid, hids, light, lights, truck, tuner, tuners, water