Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb or efi 460

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
muddmonky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question carb or efi 460

looking into a new truck want a late 80s early 90s f350 witha 460 dually or single rear is still undecided.

my main question is to get a carborated (86 or earlier) or the efi (87 or later)

it will be used to tow a jeep every now and then and mudding on the side.
i know efi is easier offroad do to lack of stalling out because of bouncing or steep incline and its easyer to snorkel but are there any problems that this year bracket had with there efi or are they just overall better than the carbed versions.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 AM
McCormick
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my EFI 460. I think one of the big pros for the EFI trucks is that you can get an overdrive transmission, as well as cold starting, off camber angles, ect.

But if your handy with carbs, there is nothing wrong with them, they can achieve the same (crappy) fuel economy, but the carbed engines have much more aftermarket support.

I'd say it comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer EFI for the reasons above.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by muddmonky
looking into a new truck want a late 80s early 90s f350 witha 460 dually or single rear is still undecided.

my main question is to get a carborated (86 or earlier) or the efi (87 or later)

it will be used to tow a jeep every now and then and mudding on the side.
i know efi is easier offroad do to lack of stalling out because of bouncing or steep incline and its easyer to snorkel but are there any problems that this year bracket had with there efi or are they just overall better than the carbed versions.

If you are wanting something to play with off road, stick with a single, the dually will suck and traction, not to mention the clearance issues with the extra width on the rear. Otherwise, both carbed and EFI 460's are solid platforms to work with. As mentioned above, the EFI has the advantage of being available with an E4OD, but to hop it up will take more work and $$$ once you get beyond what the stock ecm can handle, where as the carbed model can be hopped up for the cost of a better cam, exhaust and new carb.