1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Going to pick it up next weekend. Once I have it in my possession I'll make a posting. Its for a Ford truck project but its slightly OT (hows that for a teaser?)

Bobby

Old 04-14-2016, 09:53 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Keith I thought that I'd drop by just to congratulate you on your Buick progress. New motor, new tires, cool. I need to make the same move on my truck with tires. Even though they don't have a lot of miles on em and have been parked indoors, they are about 11 years old, and I know they should be replaced, I just can't swing it at the moment. Anyway enjoy the parade. Im sure it will be a very special time with your family coming down, and I'm sure Ron will be there too, in spirit and of course in memory. Take care my friend, and be safe.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Going to pick it up next weekend. Once I have it in my possession I'll make a posting. Its for a Ford truck project but its slightly OT (hows that for a teaser?)

Bobby
You're such a teaser!!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Hi Keith I thought that I'd drop by just to congratulate you on your Buick progress. New motor, new tires, cool. I need to make the same move on my truck with tires. Even though they don't have a lot of miles on em and have been parked indoors, they are about 11 years old, and I know they should be replaced, I just can't swing it at the moment. Anyway enjoy the parade. Im sure it will be a very special time with your family coming down, and I'm sure Ron will be there too, in spirit and of course in memory. Take care my friend, and be safe.
Thank Jimmy! I will be thinking about Ron as I drive in the parade! You will get to your tires when you can. The fire truck tires are 8 years old now with barely any miles. I'm going to wait a few more years before I change them out. I think it was over $1400 for the set! Not cheap!! Take care

Old 04-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey Keith. I've been away so I just saw this post. Glad to hear the truck is running great. I, too would like to see the Buick's first drive with the new engine.

We'll be in the Salute to Veterans parade again next Saturday for our 4th year. My passenger this time is a Pearl Harbor survivor and friend for many years whom I met at Boy Scout adult leader training in 1989. He'll be 96 next month.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Hey Keith. I've been away so I just saw this post. Glad to hear the truck is running great. I, too would like to see the Buick's first drive with the new engine.

We'll be in the Salute to Veterans parade again next Saturday for our 4th year. My passenger this time is a Pearl Harbor survivor and friend for many years whom I met at Boy Scout adult leader training in 1989. He'll be 96 next month.
Thanks Joe. What an honor to have the veteran riding along with you. There are not many of them left. My driver's dad was a survivor. He passed last year at 94. I got him to sign a Remember Pearl Harbor poster for me. Its something I cherish. I'm a huge WWII buff and in the 90's I was walking out of the gym and saw a Pearl Harbor Survivor license plate on the back of a car with an elderly gentleman sitting inside. I went up and introduced myself and asked if he would be interested in talking to me about his WWII experiences. He said why don't you came to the restaurant that was in the shopping plaza this Friday and you can talk to a bunch of us. I lucked out because it was a survivors reunion. There was 30 of those men there. The man was kind enough to introduce me to them. One guys said don't ever go for a cruise with that guy because he had 2 ships sunk out from under him! America's Greatest Generation!!

Old 04-23-2016, 09:35 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Keith and Joe. Your guys are into some great stuff with the Vets. Something I would love to do

Old 04-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by JimG1098
Keith and Joe. Your guys are into some great stuff with the Vets. Something I would love to do
Thanks Jim. This Friday night before the parade, our group is hosting the 2nd annual We Remember: A Night for Veterans dinner at the Canyon Crest Country Club in Riverside. All proceeds go to US Vets here in the Inland Empire of SoCal to feed the homeless vets for whom they're providing housing, getting off the streets and back into society.

Last year we raised $10,000 at the dinner. This year, we're still shy of our goal to hit $30,000.

Anyone interested in donating can do so here:
Sponsorship Opportunities | A Night For Vets

and scrolling down to the Donation Option.

Sorry for the hijack Keith...

Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Hi guys!

I hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been visiting the site lately and I hope all the current projects are going well. Not much with the truck. Its the last day of school tomorrow and if the weathers good I plan on picking the boys up from school! we have been driving the truck just about every weekend since its so close to the house now. The rent is killing me tho! Its going up from $307 to $368 on July 1st. I'm going to start looking for a better priced place to store it.

Something pretty amazing happened today. I was contacted early this morning from a man looking to buy a copy of my Fire Patrol book. I recognized his last name as a man who worked on the Patrol and was a Line of Duty Death (dropped dead from a heart attack after a fire). He confirmed that the man was his grandfather. I just happen to own the fire badge of the deceased fireman. I bought it on eBay 10 years ago and used pictures of it in my book that was printed in 2007. I was also able to buy the man's ID and other pictures he had taken in 1934.

I had promised the badge to another collector and was getting ready to receive payment for it. I spoke to the grandson and he stated he wanted to keep it in his family. The other collector totally understood.

For those who have followed this thread I have had some amazing luck with fire badges. My grandfather's and I have been helpful in reuniting others fing their relatives lost badges.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Keith,

Nice to hear from you. That's a great outcome for the badge. I'm glad that the original buyer was amenable to you wanting to back out of the sale so that the badge could stay in the family.

Great pics!

You sure have touched a lot of people with your truck. Big thumbs up

Bobby

Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Keith,

Nice to hear from you. That's a great outcome for the badge. I'm glad that the original buyer was amenable to you wanting to back out of the sale so that the badge could stay in the family.

Great pics!

You sure have touched a lot of people with your truck. Big thumbs up

Bobby
Thanks Bobby! How's your project coming along? I'll have to check out your thread.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Keith,
Not too much project yet. I did get the engine to start and run. It sounds great. Now that I know the engine is good I can move forward with things. The next step is to get some rectangular tubing and start the fabrication of the frame. I'm still hoping to have a rolling chassis this year

Bobby

Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Great story Keith! As usual.
I'm so glad the badge will be returning to the family. You are doing a great service.
Take your camera to pick up your boys. You know about us and pictures.

Quick Reply: Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!