1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Great stuff Keith! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Great pics and a great story continues!

Nice work Keith.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:56 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Keith,
I haven't been on here much lately. I'm sure glad I checked in today.
It sure sounds like you had a great trip to Chicago. That's great that you were able to get your hands on such a treasure trove of old photos. I'll be there are some great pics in the bunch.

The brick ceremony seems like it was a very touching event. Good for you for keeping a bit of history alive. Once again, my hat is off to you

Bobby

Old 07-23-2015, 06:57 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the kind words!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Got some of the pics back from the photo lab. After looking at my previously posted new pic of the truck in which I noted the #46 on the back, I realized that its the end of the license plate and not the vehicle being numbered. Oh well! I just posted this pic in the thru the windshield picture thread. Can anyone identify the Chief's vehicle? Thanks

I believe this is the 49F7 Ford.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Cool pics Keith!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe!! Any idea what the vehicle is?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Thanks Joe!! Any idea what the vehicle is?
Looks like a '46 Chevy sedan to me.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe. Sorry for the delay in responding to you.

Have good news and bad news about the truck. We went out 2 days ago and upgraded the fuel & ignition systems. I bought a 4psi Holley fuel pump and it was installed along with a Pertronix system. She is running good now. My buddy followed me in my truck as I drove a few miles. No tow strap needed!!

Bad news is that the warehouse that I have been storing the truck in has a contract on it. The buyer has 20 days to back out but if he doesn't I will have to be out by Sep 7th. I am kicking myself for not looking the past 15 months for an alternate place. I knew it was for sale but didn't think he would get his 250K price. Now I am under pressure to find another place and its not a place I really want to be in. I have been calling and driving around trying to find something. One possibility may be opening at $366 a month. I have been paying $255. I will keep searching and hopefully something will turn up again!

Also got an email from a man whose great-grandfather started the Chicago Board of Underwriters and whose uncle ran it in 50's. They started the Chicago Fire Patrol. He is offering me 2 free helmet fronts: A Patrol 5 captains and a Patrol 1 patrolmans. They are work at least $200 a piece. I told him I would send him a book as a token of my appreciation.
I send some pics when I get them next week.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Thanks Joe. Sorry for the delay in responding to you.

Have good news and bad news about the truck. We went out 2 days ago and upgraded the fuel & ignition systems. I bought a 4psi Holley fuel pump and it was installed along with a Pertronix system. She is running good now. My buddy followed me in my truck as I drove a few miles. No tow strap needed!!

Bad news is that the warehouse that I have been storing the truck in has a contract on it. The buyer has 20 days to back out but if he doesn't I will have to be out by Sep 7th. I am kicking myself for not looking the past 15 months for an alternate place. I knew it was for sale but didn't think he would get his 250K price. Now I am under pressure to find another place and its not a place I really want to be in. I have been calling and driving around trying to find something. One possibility may be opening at $366 a month. I have been paying $255. I will keep searching and hopefully something will turn up again!

Also got an email from a man whose great-grandfather started the Chicago Board of Underwriters and whose uncle ran it in 50's. They started the Chicago Fire Patrol. He is offering me 2 free helmet fronts: A Patrol 5 captains and a Patrol 1 patrolmans. They are work at least $200 a piece. I told him I would send him a book as a token of my appreciation.
I send some pics when I get them next week.
Well, the good news is really good news. I bet you were grinning again on that drive, once you realized it was fixed.

That sucks about losing the storage spot, but good things happen to good guys, so something will appear for you.

And it's really cool that you'll get those two helmet fronts. Can't wait to see the pics...

Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe! Yes, I was smiling! The last time I got to drive her was late April. Thats a long time to wait. My boys have been on me to get her running again. Its a little weird to hear the fuel pump running but I'll get used to it. My friend also found out that the points weren't grounded and he said he was surprised that it even ran. Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Keith,
Just let the boys wind that siren up. That will cover up the sound of the pump...LOL

bummer on the storage situation. Like Joe said, something will present itself.

Bobby

Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad the pertronix is working out. That is rough about the storage.
We think of that scenario if we were ever to move. Not a good place to be for us.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Guys!! Looks like I got the storage situation worked out. I found a warehouse literally 5 minutes from my house. If I got it the truck and drove it home it wouldn't be warmed up yet LOL!! Its a 12x30 and the first month is $1 so it come out to $265 a month. The downsides are no electricity, no working on the truck and not a straight pull in. It will take some minor maneuvering to get it in there. What a relief to find a place. Definitely a load off my mind.

A friend sent me this link today: Fire truck. Rare from chicago

That would be cool to have! Hook & ladder minus the ladder.

Found this 52 ford too Ford Fire Truck

Old 08-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Thanks Guys!! Looks like I got the storage situation worked out. I found a warehouse literally 5 minutes from my house. If I got it the truck and drove it home it wouldn't be warmed up yet LOL!! Its a 12x30 and the first month is $1 so it come out to $265 a month. The downsides are no electricity, no working on the truck and not a straight pull in. It will take some minor maneuvering to get it in there. What a relief to find a place. Definitely a load off my mind.

A friend sent me this link today: Fire truck. Rare from chicago

That would be cool to have! Hook & ladder minus the ladder.

Found this 52 ford too Ford Fire Truck
Glad you found something so close to home. That just means that you need to drive it home to work on it.

That 52 truck looks brand new...

Quick Reply: Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!