1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Keith,
So, #6 intake valve is hanging open somehow. I hardly doubt that the pushrod or the valve stem could have grown any. The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
What else could cause that valve to hang up?
If the seat were to collapse (I don't know if it can) but, if it could, I would think that the problem wouldn't be intermittent. If it were causing low compression then it would be doing it all the time.

Strange. Hopefully one of the engine gurus can get it sorted out. I'm stumped.

Bobby

Old 09-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Thanks Joe!! Although I don't post a lot on your thread, I am still a follower . You're catching up with me on hits!!
Ha! Well my thread just hit 81,000 views and yours just popped over 90,000. I don't think there's much chance I'll ever catch you.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Keith,
So, #6 intake valve is hanging open somehow. I hardly doubt that the pushrod or the valve stem could have grown any. The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
What else could cause that valve to hang up?
If the seat were to collapse (I don't know if it can) but, if it could, I would think that the problem wouldn't be intermittent. If it were causing low compression then it would be doing it all the time.

Strange. Hopefully one of the engine gurus can get it sorted out. I'm stumped.

Bobby
I'm stumped too!! We see how it goes with new lifters all around. I think I should post this on the Buick forum and see what responses I get.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Ha! Well my thread just hit 81,000 views and yours just popped over 90,000. I don't think there's much chance I'll ever catch you.
Joe, my thread is peetering out and now I have to talk about the Buick. Yours is still plugging along so I'm sure you will pass me

Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thinking of Ron today!! Its hard to believe a year has passed since he died. Just about every time I drive the truck I think of him. Here is a couple of pics of him I never shared with anybody. This is post Patrol days when he was a member of the fire department bomb squad.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Wow! Keith, you keep coming up with the coolest stuff. Thanks for sharing.
I can't believe it was a year ago either. The video if him driving the truck in the parade is still fresh in my mind.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru

Thanks Joe! One more pic of him to share ... passed out at a fire!!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Love the pic's and the history.
Thanks

Old 09-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
No, it doesn't seem like it's been a year.

You have some great pics though...

Old 09-29-2014, 05:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Those pics are really interesting. A pretty cool slice of his daily grind.
I cant believe its been a year either, time sure flies.

Thanks again for sharing pictures. I think we've all developed a soft spot for the Fire Patrol.

Bobby

Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Guys!! Another death on this day .... A good friend of mine who helped me with the mechanical work on the truck, texted me a few hours ago and said his Dad passed this afternoon.

I really miss talking to Ron!! He was such a humble, good natured man!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to here of your friend passing Keith.
I lost a little brother a few weeks ago to
his kidney's and liver shutting down. Damn
meth even years after ya clean up it can still
kill ya. Take note kids. Nasty stuff. Aint worth
it I tell ya.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Rich, I'm so sorry to hear of your brother's passing. Its tough for sure.

Here's a little update on my end. Finally got the Buick running around 10 days ago. Its running but rough .... may need a carb rebuild. The brakes are not good and tranny not shifting right. Man, I am kicking myself for letting it sit for so long! I'll get her straightened out soon.

Not much with the Patrol truck. Last weekend had 20 kids in the back for my son's 12th birthday. Next weekend it my youngest son's 8th birthday so I will be giving another group of kids a ride!!

I picked up a set of door handles a few days ago on eBay which I plan on using for my rear door. They look like the original ones. These came off a 1969 fire truck. I got them for only $10 + shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331352515110?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have been busy trying to schedule a lot of work to be done on the house these past few weeks. I'm going to get new gutters and a paint job. I had the gutter man pull off the old gutters for the painters and when he did the fascia board came off with it!! Which means roof leaks (2). The roofers are coming out today!! ..

I did pick up my favorite gun recently .... well, a dummy copy of one. Its a WWII Thompson. It has real WWII parts except for the receiver. My kids have been enjoying it as much as I am. Whats real interesting about it is the metal reinforcing band placed around the front foregrip. This was a modification done in the field so this gun at some point was issued to the troops. It could of seen action in WWII, Korea and even Vietnam. I plan on getting a real one as a retirement present for me in 46 months. I even got the approval from the wife!! That is as long as the home renovations are done and they include new master bath, pool deck, front house lights, paint job and new exterior doors and windows. Most of this should be done by the end of the year except for the doors and windows.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
What changed with adding pictures?? I used to be able to take them from my hard drive and now the site is not giving me that option.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru

I figured out what I was doing wrong... DUH!! I also forgot to mention something. I was looking for a good book on military Thompsons and came across one that is out of print. The author is working on an updated version ...Part III and is asking for photos never published before of military men with Thompsons. I used to collect WWII combat photos taken by combat photographers and at one time had close to 2K. I went through the ones I had left and found some interesting one's. I contacted the author and sent him the pics. He is going to use a few of them. Here is a link to his Part II book

American thunder: The military Thompson submachine gun : 1928, 1928A1, M1, M1A1: Frank Iannamico: Amazon.com: Books American thunder: The military Thompson submachine gun : 1928, 1928A1, M1, M1A1: Frank Iannamico: Amazon.com: Books

Quick Reply: Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!