1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Keith, It's amazing the information you are finding. Your hard work and persistence has really paid off. I can't imagine scanning 600 pages. Thanks for the update.

Note to self: Ping Keith every couple of weeks to make sure he doesn't forget to keep us updated.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a photo of him standing next to one of the brand new American La France engines at the fair:

Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe! I believe there is more info and photos out there and I am going to keep looking for it!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
I almost forgot this too! My friend called me the other day to let me know some company was selling photos of the Century of Progress Fire Department firemen and guess who one of the guys listed was??? I have the picture already. They have his name spelled wrong and list him as a Captain instead of a Lieutenant but it was still neat to see his picture for sale on the internet!! He is wearing the badge that I now own too!!

Link to the site ... it lists a few of the guys: If you hit the next arrow on the site you can see the other men!

Captain Kinch Of The Century Of Progress Fire Department Chicago by Retro Images Archive - Captain Kinch Of The Century Of Progress Fire Department Chicago Photograph - Captain Kinch Of The Century Of Progress Fire Department Chicago Fine Art Prints

Old 08-11-2014, 05:12 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Keith,

Another great find. We are getting to feel like we know him also!!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:59 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Jim!!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:55 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Keith,

That's really fantastic that you were able to scan those log books (Holy Cow! that must have been a lot of work). What an interesting insight into the daily life back then.

Keep at it, this is great stuff!
Bobby

Old 08-11-2014, 01:02 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Keith. You and the information and memorandum you acquire amazes me to
no end.

Never give up.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks guys! It still amazes me how lucky I am to find all this cool stuff.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
A little update! Found some time to work on the roof ladder I have for the truck. I need 2 and was given one a while back. Its in poor condition and I hope to replace it when I find another one. I bead blasted the hooks and gave them a coat of fresh paint. The ladder just got a coat of varnish. Now comes the tricky part! How did they mount it! I don't have a real good picture of how they did it. As you can see from the pics below there was some type of bar they kept the ladder from sliding out. I will assume it hinges on the top?? Could there of been some sort of railing on the floor that the ladder slid into to keep it from moving around. When we took the truck apart the ladder floor had already been removed so I don't know the original configuration. Does anyone have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated!

There was another ladder on eBay not long ago but it was a little pricy and the man was in California and would not ship it. Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281403674438?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I started another book. I know the second one hasn't been printed yet! It is on the Century of Progress Fire Department ...same one that I was able to get my grandfather's badges. In my first book on the Patrol, I included a chapter about the department. I want to expand the chapter and add additional information like the log book and other pictures that I didn't use.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Forgot to post pics of the ladder & hooks. Here they are:

Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Have you fit the ladder in there? I would bet they didn't worry too much about it banging side to side. The locking rod looks to be spring loaded on the bottom. I was thinking that maybe there was a hole at the top and bottom and the spring kept it in place. But I would bet it attached at the top. It would be too easy to lose the piece at a fire if it wasn't attached.

How long have you had that top picture? Seeing the rails reminded me of the discussions we had on yours being bent. I know at one time you pondered whether you should leave them bent or straighten them.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Keith, that ladder is about 2.5-3 hours from me. I could get it for you if the guy still has it and store it until you find a shipper.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Keith, I know your truck is a historical representation, but for what it's worth, let me share the following info with you. My father was a commercial roofer (worked primarily on commercial bldgs) in Buffalo NY for 40 years. In NYS at least it was illegal to paint or varnish a wood ladder in commercial use. This law my father told me was because any finish could easily hide a hairline crack, and the finish would "burn" (blister) their hands from friction in use. He was quite adept at doing the "fireman's slide" as he called it where he would slide down the ladder by holding the outside of the side rails and pressing his feet against them to control his speed. This would have been impossible to do if the ladder had any type of finish applied. The blistering issue was also the reason no finish was applied to wood tool handles. I remember a couple times when he bought a new hammer or hatchet and scraped all the finish off the handle with a piece of broken glass.
I would think the same rule would apply (?) to wood fire ladders, pike and axe handles etc., especially since the varnish of the day would soften and get sticky/melt at fairly low temperatures, and is flammable. If this was the case with fire ladders, and you left yours unfinished it might be an interesting talking point when showing the engine off?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Exactly what Chuck said in PL 1829 just above. I've heard this said, not as the law but as common knowledge to be put forward. But, I doubt if your ladders ever get used. And Keith, a reproduction ladder would not be that hard to duplicate, complete with age / usage marks. Hooks may be a bit more difficult to fabricate.

Quick Reply: Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!