1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick My Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 AM
HawgDawg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trick My Truck?

I just got this '04 F250 about 10 days ago. The truck is VERY low mileage (43,000) and has a lot of life left. I will most likely have it for a long time so I am looking for suggestions on accessories to add or changes to make to the truck that would give it a unique look. I like the looks of the truck for the most part so no big tires or smoke stacks sticking above the cab. I don't have a lot of money to dress it up but would like to consider a few items. I will soon be ordering a soft Tonneau cover, that is a given. If I had the money I would put black rims, black grill guard, and black running boards on it. I think that would look pretty good but I don't have the $ to do all of that right now. The truck will be pulling a 5th wheel camper part time.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 AM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
If you are pulling a 5th wheel, just limit your customization to wheels and new stock size tires. Maybe some chrome on the mirrors, grill and door handles, and maybe some new steps. I want to replace my factory steps (think they hang too low) but my wife likes the low step up.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:19 AM
ontariofarmer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking truck.

As far as dressing it up goes, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Just do what YOU like......after all......it's YOUR truck.

I'd like to add a couple things to mine as well, but like you, the money is a little tight right now

Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 AM
HawgDawg
Senior User
Yeah farmer, I know that everyone has different likes/dislikes. I was just looking for suggestions because I thought I might get a suggestion I hadn't thought of. Thanks for chiming on.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In my opinion i think you should add some roof clearance lights

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume that you have the 6.0L diesel engine. I would change all the fluids and filters for a start. Later, I would go with 18" or 20" wheels and 33" tires of your choice. Also, you may want to install Bilstien HD or Rancho RS9000LX shocks for a better ride. Finally, I would add gauges to better monitor the engine and transmission.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM
HawgDawg
Senior User
@redford, my wife likes the low step too our I would consider replacing them with a higher step.

@acf6, I like the idea of clearance lights. I'm gonna look into that. Any recommendations a far a brand names?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should do an OEM Ford setup from your dealer or a junkyard, and if you dont like the orange covers you can get smoked or clear covers from recon with amber bulbs. I would probably stay away from their entire cab light setup though, have heard lots of water leak stories about them on here..

Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
How about an F650 lower dash which allows for uplifter switches and gauges that provide useful information e.g. transmission temp.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 AM
HawgDawg
Senior User
I should have mentioned that it has the v10 motor. Fluids and filters have been changed. What would bigger tires and rims do to me as far as towing ability? I have a trans temp gauge, what gauges would you add?

I have not heard many good things about recon.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HawgDawg
I am looking for suggestions on accessories to add or changes to make to the truck that would give it a unique look.

If I had the money I would put black rims, black grill guard, and black running boards on it.
Since you are talking about cosmetic changes to make on the cheap, I would suggest getting the windows tinted nice and dark (~$300) and getting the stock rims powder coated black (~$300). Then, as money permits, you could get the running boards and grill guard powder coated black to match.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 AM
HawgDawg
Senior User
Love the looks of the F650 lower dash, and it's functional.

The window tinting is a definite possibility although I will have to check to see how dark I can go according to state law.

I wonder if I would be money ahead by powder coating my stock rims black or buying black rims and selling my stock rims. Definitely something to think about.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Maybe a 05-07 headlight w/relay upgrade or a full blown 05-07 front end upgrade? The 05-07 headlights w/relays are a must IMHO. The relays provide a full 12+ volts at the headlights instead of the stock voltage of somerwhere around 10.5 running through the switch. You can find more information in my albums.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:56 AM
ontariofarmer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawg......I would stick with OEM wherever possible.

Cab lights are going to be my next job

Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Originally Posted by HawgDawg
I should have mentioned that it has the v10 motor. Fluids and filters have been changed. What would bigger tires and rims do to me as far as towing ability? I have a trans temp gauge, what gauges would you add?

I have not heard many good things about recon.

If it's the factory gauges...it's almost worthless! All of the factory gauges work as a glorified idiot light. Example, the oil pressure will ready normal if you have anymore then aproximately 7 psi. The other gauges work the same. I'm installing autometer gauges to replace all factory dash gauges and adding a trans temp gauge. I'll have pictures within a week or so. You can also consider a scan gauge...these offer most real time readings for much cheaper.

Quick Reply: Trick My Truck?