Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Clutch removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 02:33 AM
quartzzk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Clutch removal

smilie('')
https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/Images/dead.gif

1996 F150 Straight 6:

2 weeks ago my truck overheated. Unfortunately my roomate was driving and he does not know much about cars. I figured out that the coolant in the overflow tank had boiled. Either a bad thermostat or water pump I was told. Changed thermostat, no luck, also I have no heat in the truck, another reason I think it is the waterpump. Now I was off to change it, with one thing after another in my way. I cannot seem to get the fan shroud off, I have removed the two screws holding it in place, but it will not come off with the fan in place. So I went to take off the fan from the fan clutch. Now I cannot seem to get the fan clutch/fan off from the waterpump pulley. I tried to remove the bolts holding the pulley onto the waterpump (maybe a bad idea) also with no luck. Now I have a loose fan, and 3 parts that seem to turn independantly of each other. I have some tools from the parts store that are used to take off the fan clutch, but they do not seem to fit, one big square one, and another one for a bolt. Here is what I see,

WP pulley
|
one large nut
|
loose fan
|
fan clutch

now my question, how in the world do I get this thing off, I have almost no working room, b/c of the shroud, fan is sharp , and turning any part seems to do nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Everyone I know keeps telling me that Fords break down too much and that this is too much trouble, go get a HONDA! And as stuborn as I am, I am sticking with my big ol' white worktruck, even if I do have to walk to work for now...it will be fixed, welp as soon as someone with more knowledge helps me

Dan
quartzzk@attbi.com

'96 F150 Straight 6

Old 12-21-2002, 10:10 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fan Clutch removal

The big nut is the one you need to turn. You pulled the fan off the FAN CLUTCH, which is the big aluminum finned thing that's on the WP pulley. The big nut is LH-threaded, so turn it backward to unscrew it. You may have to apply force to part of the belt to get it to hold the WP pulley from turning, or maybe even put some vise-grips on the back of the pulley to jam it. Try to put a couple of bolts back in the fan and reattach the shroud to keep them out of the way.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:48 AM
quartzzk
New User
Fan Clutch removal

I cannot seem to get the bog nut to turn to the left or right, as long as I have the nut in place I was able to turn the pulley some, shouldn't that take the nut off as well? I have to go back to the store and get something big enough to turn that nut with, on the fan shroud it says right hand threaded fan clutch

Dan

Old 12-21-2002, 10:53 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
Fan Clutch removal

>on the fan shroud it says right hand
>threaded fan clutch

Oops! That's only on the 4.9L like mine...

The nut is screwed onto the pump shaft, so if you try to turn the pulley, you turn the nut with it. You have to hold the pulley (either using the belt or something to jam it) while turning the nut. Once you break it, it should spin easily. When you go to the store, get some anti-seize lubricant to make it easier next time. I use the stuff on every fastener on my truck! Lug nuts, oxygen sensor, body bolts, tie-rod ends...

Old 12-21-2002, 11:06 AM
quartzzk
New User
Fan Clutch removal

Okay I think I have some big C-clamps from changing my rotors that I might get to work on the Nut, last thing, I have taken the bolds out from the pulley to WP, does it matter now, or do I need to put those back in before I brace the pulley?

Dan

Really appreciate all the help!

Old 12-21-2002, 12:54 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Fan Clutch removal

Yes, they need to be put back. At least 2 of them.

Old 12-22-2002, 09:43 PM
quartzzk
New User
Fan Clutch removal

Okay, I have been unable to remove the big nut... any other ideas on what can hold the pulley? I got some rubber grip things, and they would work if I had 2 right hands! I need to hold it in place, and then I have a c-clamp on the nut, and I have been trying to hit the c-clamp with a wrench, but either the rubber slides, or I hit my knuckle. I have racked my brain on this one, and the darn thing is so tight. And to make sure of something, if it says right hand threaded, I need to turn the thing counter clockwise? Thanks for all the help

Dan

Old 12-23-2002, 01:31 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fan Clutch removal

Old 12-23-2002, 02:21 PM
F150_Luvaa
New User
Fan Clutch removal

I went to Autozone and they offer a free tool rental. They have a Fan Clutch Wrench set that includes the big wrench for the nut and a pulley holder. Came off easily with the wrench set when I changed mine. I have a 96 F150 4.9.
You could also buy one online. Only $15 at this store.
http://www.autopart.com/Tools/file/part74.htm

Old 12-24-2002, 04:44 AM
quartzzk
New User
Fan Clutch removal

I had gotten one from AutoZone before, the problem was that it was not large enough, it was 1-7/16" and it was too small, and the other peice was useless, there was nothing on the pulley to hold it with, I have however gotten a 3" vice grips that got the nut off with, now there is some small black wire that runs to the crankshaft, and I have not figured out how to get it out. Usually on those connecters, there is some tab you press down and viola... the two plastic ends seperate. But I cannot find the tab, and the hose gets stuck on this little peice, and I have not been able to get the hose off, I think I am going to just cut it off, since I have a new one to replace it I will post my final solutions as well, I might take some pics with a digital Cam to provide insight for others who do not want to spend $250 on a $50 job, (plus 5 or so hours)

Thanks again all that replied

Dan