6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Heads up, is your rad leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
I understand, but my point is that if we accept it with the logic that we just need to give Ford even more money then it will never be resolved and in fact, may get worse.
Yes I do understand your point and I agree.
We should not have to get warranty for something that will fail that is not a consumable (like tires and brakes; those I expect to pay for).

However it will be cheaper for some of us to have the ESP vs. paying for these parts later.
Once past the warranty, it may not matter how much you argue with Ford you might still loose.

There are some cases where Ford has made exceptions but those sure are rare.
I wouldn't know how to win that arguement.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a side note. My brother who owns a 2008 6.4L was just notified that his truck's radiator is now covered for 5 years or 100,000. Haven't found the TSB for it. Wonder if this radiator problem is related.

On a further side note, he got pulled over for producing excessive white smoke. He said his truck in certain weather conditions laid down a better smoke screen than a WWII destroyer. The cop gave him a break... Ford replaced the CAC.

And on a final note... He was notified that his Continental tires are all (including spare) being replaced free of charge. Something about the tires not meeting Conti's specs.

Another first MY truck...

Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

The 6.4L trucks had/has so many radiator failures, Ford changed the warranty on those engines.
(Or maybe it was just the first MY builds, I'm not sure; Crazy001 probably knows).
It's my understanding the 6.7L (being a different motor) doesn't fall under that special exception due to the current lack of many radiator failures.

If mine fails out of warranty for no reason other than poorly manufactured parts, I'll certain argue as much as I possibly can.
It could take months (while I'm without a truck) to argue with Ford and even after that, I might still loose.

Hopefully very few of us will have to go down this road and unfortunatly, here is the first case that I've heard of with a 6.7L.

The ContiTrac's are under recall due to tread separation.
There was a topic here somewhere and I think that's what it discussed.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
The 6.4L trucks had/has so many radiator failures, Ford changed the warranty on those engines.
(Or maybe it was just the first MY builds, I'm not sure; Crazy001 probably knows).
It's my understanding the 6.7L (being a different motor) doesn't fall under that special exception due to the current lack of many radiator failures.
As far as I know the radiators on the '08+ 6.4L trucks are covered under the 3/36 instead of the 100K engine warranty. There is a circumstance where Ford will cover it under the engine warranty, and that's if the thermostats are hyper-extended.

If the thermostats aren't hyper-extended and the radiator goes on a 6.4L truck the customer is on the hook for the bill. They didn't change the warranty, they simply got an understanding of a common cause of radiator failure. Because the covered part (t-stat) is covered under the engine warranty they cover the affected radiator as well.

This is the same for all model year 6.4L trucks.

To read more check out THIS THREAD, with specific attention to posts 57 and later.

Originally Posted by kper05
If mine fails out of warranty for no reason other than poorly manufactured parts, I'll certain argue as much as I possibly can.
It could take months (while I'm without a truck) to argue with Ford and even after that, I might still loose.
Hate to say it, it's a certainty that you would loose. The only reason we have any right to expect them to pay for a repair is the warranty paperwork, which is a binding contract. It describes in great detail what they will and will not cover, and if a failure isn't covered under one of the expressed warranties there is no real method of recourse.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM
roadtech
Junior User
Well guys, the Ford dealer is not coming up with a free fix so I did what I use to do with my old crates when the rad leaked, back in the 70's we use to get Prestone stop leak, it looks like blonde pepper, so I put the stuff in the tank yesterday while I was up in Fort Mcmurray drove home 300 km. I checked the rad a few times on the way home, NO LEAK, I know that stuff could clog up some of the new cooling heat sinks so I drained the fluid out last night when I got home strained the Prestone bits out and refilled the rad. Checked this morning after I got to work, still no leak, maybe a fix, maybe not, but I'm not paying 1200.00 dollars right now.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadtech
Well guys, the Ford dealer is not coming up with a free fix so I did what I use to do with my old crates when the rad leaked, back in the 70's we use to get Prestone stop leak, it looks like blonde pepper, so I put the stuff in the tank yesterday while I was up in Fort Mcmurray drove home 300 km. I checked the rad a few times on the way home, NO LEAK, I know that stuff could clog up some of the new cooling heat sinks so I drained the fluid out last night when I got home strained the Prestone bits out and refilled the rad. Checked this morning after I got to work, still no leak, maybe a fix, maybe not, but I'm not paying 1200.00 dollars right now.
Hi Don,

Too bad about your situation with the radiator leak. Is the service mgr you spoke with, at the same dealership where you bot the truck? If so, I would go to the sales mgr and see if he can put any heat on the service mgr. Play the, "I won't ever buy from you again," card. I can't believe the service mgr won't step up to the plate here.

I hope the stop leak works without any issues. Did you ever find the leak?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
roadtech
Junior User
Well the sales man. was told, but you know the old too bad to hear your're having issues with your truck.
I'll say it's fixed, and be positive about the whole thing.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
roadtech
Junior User
Well guys, the service manager did go to bat for me, there seems to be a new rad coming in the near future. I will have to pay 1/3 of the quoted repair bill so 400.00 is better than 1144.00.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
great to hear their trying

Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
That's great news! Always like to hear about dealer who goes the extra mile for a customer. Even if you are stuck with the $400, that's not too bad considering the alternative.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Well guys, the service manager did go to bat for me, there seems to be a new rad coming in the near future. I will have to pay 1/3 of the quoted repair bill so 400.00 is better than 1144.00.
Something is better than nothing, but personally I'd be furious and on the phone with Ford. Regardless of miles there is no way a radiator should leak on a truck that is 1 yr old or less.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 PM
EricInWI
New User
leaking too

noticed the puddle this morning, leaking in same spot, not feeling any better knowing it is not isolated issue. 2011 with 22k miles. Off to the deal AGAIN for the 15th time in 8 months tomorrow, sure glad I didnt pay almost $60k for a vehicle and actually need to drive it. /end sarcasm

leaking, stalling and shifting like a 13yr old girl learning to drive a manual, reg'ing at stop lights every day even though it spends 95% of time on interstate... nice. cant wait to see the next 'feature' it develops

Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

I'm being sarcastic here but the city regen after interstate driving is a feature.
It somehow knows.
I've reproduced this on the last three or four interstate trips.
I don't go far, less than 400 miles and I'll have a regen the next day driving around for lunch food.
If it would just regen at 75 MPH that DPF would be a little cleaner than at 45 MPH stop/go.
Oh well.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 AM
roadtech
Junior User
Well guys it's been two weeks since I received an e mail from the service manager regarding my deal with ford for a 1/3 fix. No call since then, was that to get me off their case? I m on holidays right now, put 900 km on it a couple of days ago and still no leak, I guess the Prestone stop leak really works.
The saga continues.

Don

Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Well guys it's been two weeks since I received an e mail from the service manager regarding my deal with ford for a 1/3 fix. No call since then, was that to get me off their case? I m on holidays right now, put 900 km on it a couple of days ago and still no leak, I guess the Prestone stop leak really works.
The saga continues.

Don
If I were you, I'd be contacting Ford directly on this. Leaking or not, they need to replace that radiator for you under warranty.

Quick Reply: Heads up, is your rad leaking?