Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > Alberta Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Senior User

thejean is starting off with a positive reputation.
Espar / Webasto

Hey Guys!

JC here from Calgary. I just bought a 2011 F350 PSD and am loving it so far.

Little worried about next winter though. I commute with this truck and run kids around so need to figure out a way to get the truck up to operating temps (or close to it) on really cold days. Contemplating the Espar or the Webasto.

Few questions:
1. Which is better for our trucks in terms of install, Espar or Websato?
2. Has anyone here installed one in a 2011 PSD?
3. There are many Espar dealers but where is the best place to get a Webasto in Calgary?
4. Is the air heater required as well or is the coolant heater sufficient?

Thanks and maybe I'll bump into some of you folks someday.

Cheers, JC
Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Senior User

Digger6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just go down to Peavey Mart or UFA and buy a circulating heater. Much simpler and much cheaper. Tie it in to the heater hose and be done in 15 mins.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Senior User

I have a block heater aleady. Is a circulating heater different? Will it defrost the truck? Reason I want the Espar is because I take a baby to daycare in the mornings and don't want the poor thing to freeze every day. To me, a couple of grand is worth it for her to be comfortable. Plus, having the truck almost at operating temp before you fire up is a good thing when you have a short comuute like I do.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Senior User

Digger6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes very much different. A lot of people call them a tractor heater. You plug it in and it circulates the coolant. The engine block will be warm to the touch. All this for a bout a$100.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Senior User

Would it be able to heat the cab as well if you wired the fan to come on simultaneously?

I just worry that it won't get the truck warm enough to avoid cold engine wear and also won't heat the interior. I could try it as a first attempt though.

The other thing is that I race rally cars and will have this truck out in the woods in possible frigid temps so having something that doesn't rely on a plugin would be beneficial.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 PM
New User

preco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejean View Post
Would it be able to heat the cab as well if you wired the fan to come on simultaneously?

I just worry that it won't get the truck warm enough to avoid cold engine wear and also won't heat the interior. I could try it as a first attempt though.

The other thing is that I race rally cars and will have this truck out in the woods in possible frigid temps so having something that doesn't rely on a plugin would be beneficial.
go for webasto there is parts to buy to bypas the ecc climate controll so you can run the interior fan on low speed to deice the windows if you are a handy person you can do the instalation in a weekend i work with them as a part of my living if you need som info send me a mail to peter@precomaskin.se
regards from peter
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 PM