1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OT: Trip to AZ

Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OT: Trip to AZ

I know this is way OT and not until next spring, but I like to plan ahead. I'll be spending a few weeks in the Sedona, AZ area next spring (Likely, mid-May) and want to know what there is to see that I can't miss. We'll be doing the Grand Canyon, Painted desert, moon crater, and Montezuma's Castle etc. Maybe even Saguaro National park. More suggestions? Also, who all is in this area? It'd be awesome to get together for lunch or coffee or something. And no, I won't likely be driving the PSD.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If your up for a hike, there is a great spot to cliff jump in Sedona, or it's a great spot to check out tge scenery. I have detailed directions to the location

Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
MHammer21
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The river would be a bit of a drive and the water chilled, but it is always a good time!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it's been 10+ years but if you're going to be down Tucson way ...

Titan Missile Museum Home

Old Tucson Old Tucson Studios

Tombstone Welcome to the City of Tombstone!

Desert Museum Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Pima Space and Air Museum Home : Pima Air & Space Museum : Tucson, Arizona

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,644 Likes on 1,125 Posts
here are my route 66 self guided tour instructions

Entering Arizona from the East.

First cool spot is the Petrified Forest, mostly self guided tour and a few gift shops. Defiantly worth the stop enter the park at mile 311, you can exit out the south side and take hwy 180 back to I40 / rt66 in Holbrook.

Next stop is Winslow, only to take a picture of you “standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine site to see ….”

Next stop is Meteor Crater Exit 233 go South on meteor crater road, no personal experience here as I have only flown over it.

Next stop is Flagstaff, business 40 is the old 66, kind of un kept some tourist stuff the only highlight I can think of is the Museum Club never been there personally but they are supposed to have a really nice dance floor, been on TV a few times and occasionally some known singers show up there.

Next stop is Williams Known as the gateway to the Grand Canyon. Take the time to go to the Ditch if you have never been there, helicopter tours are the best, if not at least drive up and look over the edge. Also from Williams you can ride the Historic train to the Canyon. While staying in Williams, note this was the last town on route 66 to be by-passed by I 40. check out Cruiser café 66 it is a renovated gas station with plenty of 66 décor, they used to have 25 cent taco Tuesday nights back when I worked at the canyon but that was years ago.

Next is Welch rd exit go north about ¼ to ½ mile then turn back to the west on the really rough black top road (this is the original Mother road) as you go west there is a couple of unmarked dirt roads that go North, I don’t remember which one but one of them goes to stone dam which is a good crappie lake. From there continue west to Monte Carlo and back on I40.

Next stop is Ash Fork, the flag stone capitol of the world a couple miles of RT66 through town then back on to I 40

Next is Exit 139 just west of Ash Fork puts you back on to RT 66, Make plans to stop at the Grand Canyon Caverns and take the tour it is well worth the money.

Next is Kingman never spent much time there so I don’t know the historic value of it?
Sorry self guided here I do know however you should have dinner at the Dam Bar Steak House.

Next exit 44 west of Kingman puts you back on RT 66 and goes through the mining town of Oatman, lots of tourist stuff here, “wild” burrows roam the town, (they like potato chips) there are some mine tours and other adventures here. After that south toI40 and the kalifornia border (not my territory)

If you are entering Arizona from the west just turn this upside down!
Bart

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,644 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I live about 30 miles West of Sedona, but it is almost 100 mile drive.
If you go to the Ditch (aka) Grand Canyon spring the bucks for a helicopter ride! if you are in shape you can hike it, it took me 6 hours and 22 minutes to go down the Kiabab trail, follow the river down and up the Bright Angle trail.
may is going to be a hectic month at my house, my wife graduates from college on May 14, I am having her graduation party on the 21st, than we normally do something on the last weekend of may for my birthday. but I will try to watch for your trip timing and maybe we could meet up.

and it is meteor crater

Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's Awesome Bart! Thanks a heap. Most of those suggested are things I was thinking about, but having some more detail and confirmation is much appreciated. I'll keep you updated as to when we'll be rolling through. And we'll likely be coming in through 4 courners. Not sure how we're heading out yet. If all goes as planned we'll be staying in Sedona for 2 weeks and using it as a home base.

Search this Thread