Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Senior User

kgorman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any alternative fuel positive ROI?

I have searched but don't see any clear answer which surprises me. If there isn't a financial benefit to alt fuels then forget it.

Is there alt fuel with a positive ROI (say over 5 years even) including upgrades/mods needed and anticipated problems/maintenance? This is a strictly financial question, I don't care a rats *** about global warming BS and will not pay to be 'green'.

B5 and B100 bio at the pump here in the Bay Area is about the same as regular diesel. No cost advantage.

SVO is more expensive than diesel and requires expensive upgrades.

WVO? Seems like it's highly dependent if you can find a reliable source.

Homebrew? Positive ROI?

I would run this in my '06 Superduty 6.0 Diesel.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I've spent MAYBE $500 in the last 6+ years on equipment for my bio operation, and made close to 10,000 gallons. My total cost is somewhere around $1/ gallon. Pretty good ROI in my book!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Depends upon how you look at it. If you look at raw costs only, (methanol, pottasium hydroxide, electricity, and in my case, water), I am looking at my biodiesel production per gallon being around $.80.

Full tank of my biodiesel cost= $23.00
Full tank of #2, ($4.20/gal)= $121.00

About 5 fillups of my homebrew paid for what it cost me to fabricate my processor and wash tank. If you add labor to the mix though, forget it. I have plenty of other reasons why I do it.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Senior User

kgorman is starting off with a positive reputation.
You guys bring up a good point. Labor. I would likely never brew my own because of the cost of my time.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Freshman User

muns53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think it's also tied in to your driving style. You get a pretty quick ROI on alt fuels (either WVO or bio) if you do long trips and bring your own fuel along - or buy cheaply from other homebrewers/greasers along your route. For our family, it means taking trips we otherwise wouldn't take because of the cost of plane tickets and/or pump fuel.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
I keep a spreadsheet showing my cost. Was trying to attach it, but looks like I can't do an xls. Any way to post it?
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM
New User

Jeffrey S Brooks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am a blender and find that it costs me about 50c per gallon to blend my diesel fuel out of free WVO. I do not have in the equation the cost of my processor, but that depends upon how much equipment and plumbing parts one can recycle, and how many miles one gets on the engine burning the recycled fuel.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
alt, alternative, company, f250, ford, fords, fuel, fuels, investment, motor, return, roi, rois, suv, vehicle