Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011 F-150 W/5.0L Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 AM
lodrak78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad alternator. 2014 4x4 5.0 failed in rain on the way to work.

Originally Posted by 00xlt
Just wondering if anyone has been hearing anything about troubles with the alternator on the 5.0L trucks. I farm around some oilfield guys and was talking to one guy in particular who said they have 4 new Fords and that 3 of them have been in the shop with alternator problems due to them being on the bottom of the engine. He says that there is a fair distance between the rads and these alternators and that they are filling up with snow, mud and ice and the its wrecking the alternator. I have not looked at these so i'm just basing this off what he's said but I this doesn't sound good. I was deciding on the 5L or ecoboost and went with the ecoboost, hopefully it's set up a little better. Can't wait to get my ecoboost!!!!
Drove my new truck to work, alternator failed. Less than 1900 miles and dealer said not covered by Ford's warranty. Talked to Ford mo co and they said they back the dealers decision. They claim I drove trough high water. Any ideas?

Last edited by lodrak78; 09-10-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course Ford will deny on those grounds. They aren't going to admit to bad placement of alternator and open themselves up to warranty claims. They will claim that the alternator is mounted low on Taurus and Fusions without any problems so therefore it's a good placement. But what they don't tell anybody is the alternator is mounted between the engine and firewall and is more protected from splashing water. A good quality alternator can withstand water. I've wash many engines with running water without charging system problems. Ford just doesn't want to own up to responsibility for defective alternator.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 PM
lodrak78
New User
I can't understand how placing the alternator where they do is my fault. Are there any advisories stating not to operate the truck in heavy rain? If the design is flawed I am only asking them to replace the alternator not redesign the truck. I would like Ford to do the right thing. I paid good money for what I believe to be a good American truck. I expect Ford to stand behind the "Built Ford tough"

Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM
lodrak78
New User
Originally Posted by Greg B
Of course Ford will deny on those grounds. They aren't going to admit to bad placement of alternator and open themselves up to warranty claims. They will claim that the alternator is mounted low on Taurus and Fusions without any problems so therefore it's a good placement. But what they don't tell anybody is the alternator is mounted between the engine and firewall and is more protected from splashing water. A good quality alternator can withstand water. I've wash many engines with running water without charging system problems. Ford just doesn't want to own up to responsibility for defective alternator.
I agree the alternator should be able to withstand water, my old car could handle it why can't a 4x4 Ford truck?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It should be covered under the 3yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. My guess is the dealer you are dealing with may have more warranty claims than is desirable or want to keep them to a minimum. Warranty claims pay the dealer less $ than if a walk-in customer had work done. I would definitely not give that dealer any more business and might even be inclined to post a complaint with your local BBB. I would also log another complaint with Ford customer service. We have 3 Ford dealers in my town that I don't buy anything from because of poor customer service after the sale.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM
LIExpy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Greg B
It should be covered under the 3yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. My guess is the dealer you are dealing with may have more warranty claims than is desirable or want to keep them to a minimum. Warranty claims pay the dealer less $ than if a walk-in customer had work done. I would definitely not give that dealer any more business and might even be inclined to post a complaint with your local BBB. I would also log another complaint with Ford customer service. We have 3 Ford dealers in my town that I don't buy anything from because of poor customer service after the sale.
Agree 100%. I would be in the camp of not going back to that specific dealer and bringing a complain to the BBB. Follow up with Ford customer service is also not a bad idea as long as you go in knowing that most likely it won't lead anywhere. If enough people speak up and lodge these claims, either they may make some changes to how they do business or will loose additional business to anyone doing their research on BBB's site on where to take theirs. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Buck268
Elder User
I have taken my '11 F150 4x4 5.0L through LOTS of deep snow last winter as well as some serious standing water when our development flooded out (tried to keep it under the hubs, though). No alternator issues, but the engine bay is definitely pretty open as in the winter (or muddy dirt roads) you can see all the spray getting up everywhere.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Buck268 ... No alternator issues, but the engine bay is definitely pretty open as in the winter (or muddy dirt roads) you can see all the spray getting up everywhere.
You may want to consider my rendition of front inner wheel well splash aprons that are standard on EcoBoost'ed F-150s ...

WHY? Keeps the engine bay clean(er). Before ...
The apron portion of the EcoBoost'ed F-150s front inner wheel well liner is NOT available from FoMoCo as a separate, individual part. You would have to purchase the entire inner wheel well liner.

EcoBoost's front wheel well apron
Parts Inventory:
  • sheet of 1/8" fabric reinforced rubber (Styrene-Butadiene) from Grand Rapids Rubber Products - AB-2102
  • package (14 pieces) of trim panel retainers from NAPA BALKAMP - 665-2868
How-To ...
  1. thru trial-and-error, cut-out a cardboard pattern.
  2. cut the aprons from the sheet of 1/8" fabric reinforced rubber using the cardboard pattern.
  3. positioned the aprons on the inner wheel well splash shield and marked where to drill.
  4. drilled the splash shield for the trim retainers and used an old-school, hand paper punch to put matching holes in the aprons (this prevented any tearing of the rubber).
  5. used the trim retainers to install the aprons.
Total co$t = $25

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM
lodrak78
New User
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
You may want to consider my rendition of front inner wheel well splash aprons that are standard on EcoBoost'ed F-150s ...

WHY? Keeps the engine bay clean(er). Before ...
The apron portion of the EcoBoost'ed F-150s front inner wheel well liner is NOT available from FoMoCo as a separate, individual part. You would have to purchase the entire inner wheel well liner.

EcoBoost's front wheel well apron
Parts Inventory:
  • sheet of 1/8" fabric reinforced rubber (Styrene-Butadiene) from Grand Rapids Rubber Products - AB-2102
  • package (14 pieces) of trim panel retainers from NAPA BALKAMP - 665-2868
How-To ...
  1. thru trial-and-error, cut-out a cardboard pattern.
  2. cut the aprons from the sheet of 1/8" fabric reinforced rubber using the cardboard pattern.
  3. positioned the aprons on the inner wheel well splash shield and marked where to drill.
  4. drilled the splash shield for the trim retainers and used an old-school, hand paper punch to put matching holes in the aprons (this prevented any tearing of the rubber).
  5. used the trim retainers to install the aprons.
Total co$t = $25

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >
Thanks for all the support people. Great ideas and suggestions! I am going to pay my local mechanic to replace the alternator at a significantly lower price than the outrageous dealer. The dealer lost all future business from me, my friends and family. Can't wait to get my truck back today. Can't wait to do some upgrades. Let you know how it goes.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
The road leading to my subdivision floods out a couple times per year. It is deep enough that cars trying to go through actually float away. I drive right through, So far 55,000 miles no alternator problems. Your dealer sounds bad, even if you are slightly out of warranty they can get you customer loyalty coverage. To the service department money is money it doesn't matter who pays the bill. I think your service writer was lazy or doesn't know much.