Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a truck in the scrapeyard what does everyone think

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM
USMC0351fordtruckin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a truck in the scrapeyard what does everyone think

Its a '95 F-250XL ext. cab i think it was a long bed but it may have bed a short bed it had a utility bed it now nothin special and i didnt really care about the part of the truck so i didnt look... had a 5.8L (runs) 5spd (no pressure in the pedal so idk if it works good) 4x4... the body is pretty decent except for the roof since there is a tarus sitting on it but its just a lil dented since there is either a headache rack or a ladder rack on it i cant remember and a crease in the drivers door from the forks of the fork lift. i just want it for parts especially the ZF but idk if it works... the scape yard they'll give me the golden customer rate of $10 per hundred so does anyone now ruffly how heavy the truck is im thinking around 6,000lbs so thats about $600 do u think it worth it??? i would have normally just bought a truck like that w/o hesitation but im low on cash and i dont want to blow what i have if its a waste...

Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
19Flareside95
Junior User
pictures would help, but it's still a judgement call...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM
USMC0351fordtruckin
Senior User
Originally Posted by 19Flareside95
pictures would help, but it's still a judgement call...
ya i wish i would have took 1 .... but out of the 20 or so junkyards and salvage yards around here there is only 1 that has a ZF for a 5.8 and they want $750 for it so if the tranny is a good 1 i think it would be a good deal but if it isn't the truck wouldn't be much use 2 me... well i dont think at the moment anyhow

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Nevada Al
Senior User
Buy it take what you want and sell it back to them for $12 a 100lbs..... lol

I think its a decent deal, what axle gear ratio does it have?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
do you have a scrap metal guy in your area? get the truck, take what you want, and then scrap the rest to get some money back.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

The utility bed depending on how big it is will add a few hundred pounds I'd think.

That being said, and assuming I'd looked at it myself, if it were me it would be worth up $1000 and I'd pay it. Here's why. I need a running 5.8 in a bad way. A reman is $1700 and I've not been able to find a used one locally I can hear run, with the exception of one. He wants $700, and I remove it.

Now assuming again I'm wanting a ZF, chances are it's fine. No pedal pressure could mean quite a few things and I'd be willing to take the risk. Besides, even if it's no good, I can scalp the other parts I'd need for the swap.

If the utility bed is usable and not beat up too badly, I can resell it for at least $350, and probably closer to $500 again depending on condition.

I'd scalp other odds and ends I could use like trim pieces, grill (always handy in deer country) interior pieces if i could upgrade or swap something etc. And an addition spare tire/wheel comes in handy at times. I'd also scalp any good pieces I know I could resell without sitting on them too long.

I'd see if my buddies need anything I don't and sell it cheap.

The battery alone, if it's no good or I don't need it, I can get $15 at the re-cycle place, where I can also take the radiator (if it's not usable) and get another $20.

All this adds up. Resell the leftovers back to the same or other salvage yard for, let's say $300, and when all said and done, I have an engine, trans, and parts for free and break even or even make a few $$ cash money.

Like I said, that's "if it were me". Your local market, and your capacity and capability would determine if you could experience a similar outcome.

Just food for thought really. In the end, it's what your comfortable in risking and willing to do.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 PM
fdude64
Posting Guru
i would buy it. you can part out what you dont want or need and probably make a couple bucks and still get what you need free.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM
ptboi94
Freshman User
Find out what shipping would be from Nebraska. I'm 100% sure there are several in the local junkyard.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
oleman
Senior User
If the bone yard will sell it for $600 they probably only paid $150. for it.
Your goal should be to get one where the bone yard got that one.
AND only pay $150. for it.
There are several PULL_YOUR_PARTS type bone yards around here DALLAS TX. They get MANY old Ford Trucks, (newest I have ever seen was about a 2003 dodge, (dodges are not worth much in this area) some in driveaway condition. Some they save for drivers but most go the the picking area for about a month and then get converted into scrap metal.
The vehicles in the picking area are not sold whole; just parts.
They get from $800 to $1200 for a driveaway vehicle with a 30 day bring back warantee, with a title so it can be registered.
There are scavengers who comb the place daily looking for the easy to sell parts, like a ZF so if that is what you want you have to go there just about every day to check.
The ZF tranny, if you can find one is less than $150.
A complete engine is around $225. Any make any model!!
I have harvested parts there and resold them on Ebay.
Sorry to say but they rarely have any classic cars anymore BUT I have seen a 57 ford truck there!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
oleman
Senior User
Another overlooked source of vehicles is one of the places that accept donated vehicles. Most of those are on a one way trip to a junk yard. These places normay have a monthly auction but most of the stuff receives no bids so is sold to a bone yard for whatever they will give for it.
There are several of the charities here in DALLAS with monthly auctions.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by oleman
If the bone yard will sell it for $600 they probably only paid $150. for it.
Your goal should be to get one where the bone yard got that one.
AND only pay $150. for it.
There are several PULL_YOUR_PARTS type bone yards around here DALLAS TX. They get MANY old Ford Trucks, (newest I have ever seen was about a 2003 dodge, (dodges are not worth much in this area) some in driveaway condition. Some they save for drivers but most go the the picking area for about a month and then get converted into scrap metal.
The vehicles in the picking area are not sold whole; just parts.
They get from $800 to $1200 for a driveaway vehicle with a 30 day bring back warantee, with a title so it can be registered.
There are scavengers who comb the place daily looking for the easy to sell parts, like a ZF so if that is what you want you have to go there just about every day to check.
The ZF tranny, if you can find one is less than $150.
A complete engine is around $225. Any make any model!!
I have harvested parts there and resold them on Ebay.
Sorry to say but they rarely have any classic cars anymore BUT I have seen a 57 ford truck there!
I'm not sure where the OP lives, he may have said and I didn't go back to read but...where I live, there's a difference junk or salvage yards and scrap yards. And there's not many of either believe it or not. In a huge city (Dallas) vehicles are recovered from all sorts of places. Here, scrap metal is a career and sole income for many. And it is almost considered a premium metal believe THAT or not. Very few, if any salvage yards will let you pick n pull or even let you in the yard. They have parts removers and you pay 75% of remanufactured price. Why you say? Because, like I said, metal here is precious, and it is truck country. These residents don't just want trucks, they need them, they make a living from them and parts are scarce enough, parts wholesalers are few and hold a monopoly and the cost trickles down to the consumer. Scrap yards will let you look, and sell you parts at scrap prices, but if it's in a scrap yard, it's usually scrap and not usable.

In my situation, finding a truck in the local classifieds for cheap from someone who doesn't know the value of what they have is about my only resource, and I have to beat the scrappers to them. Like I said, these people are up at 4am on paper day (wed) and cell phone in hand, cash in wallet.

If it isn't obvious yet, I'm one of those people

Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 PM
USMC0351fordtruckin
Senior User
Originally Posted by KevinGnWV
where I live, there's a difference junk or salvage yards and scrap yards.

If it isn't obvious yet, I'm one of those people
yes theres difference in junk/salvage/scrapyards here as well... junkyards around here will roll a car over just so u can pull a drive shaft of or something little i think its really stupid 2 do that its a waste of the rest of the usable parts, salvage yards either pull every usable parts of then crush the car or have a huge yard and pull the parts them selves so nothing else gets damaged, then the scrapyards r where ppl take their unwanted metals and cash it in for money...

now my SN or whatever u want 2 call it is deceitful and i didnt think nothin of it when i was making it but i am not a Marine yet so i dont rate the name im just enlisted i ship in September but im still in high school and the scraping is 1 the best ways for me 2 get money b/c i cant find a steady job, so i made pretty good friends with the guy at the scrape yard they call me the golden customer or something like that and they always let me pick though the yard and get anything i want but this is the only scrapyard that ever let me do that and they say im the only person that they let do that...

well i started to ramble on and forgot my point hmm...

but anyhow these ppl up here a crazy i find better truck and cars in there being scraped than what i drive a mint '92 mustang 5.0, our trucks r all through it and a lot of them r pretty nice its just sickens me, a '67 camaro (solid), '71 Torino rough so i just stripped the money parts off, and many other thing it just sick...

oh ya they didnt get the title 2 the truck so they cant sale it to me, so im just ripping all the parts that r good or i need off while its in the yard then they'll crush the rest