Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
New User

Northbrook is starting off with a positive reputation.
18 inch or 20 inch wheels

I am thinking of getting a f350 diesel,SWB. I plan on towing a 5th Wheel. Should I get 18 inch or 20 inch wheels?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Postmaster

rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbrook View Post
I am thinking of getting a f350 diesel,SWB. I plan on towing a 5th Wheel. Should I get 18 inch or 20 inch wheels?
Welcome to FTE...you have arrived at the place for good honest information on the new 2011 6.7 Diesel trucks. Many of us here have big fivers and are extremely pleased with the performance.

If you do a little browsing around you will find plenty of discussion on this very issue. The wheel sizes are tied to the option packages and also to the gear ratio's available in the truck. Here are the high points and they only address diesel powered trucks:

1. Your fiver does not care which wheel size/gear ratio you have in the truck. The 6.7 has so much power that your biggest worry will be speeding tickets...use your cruise control.

2. As you look at various trucks or build your own at the Ford website, you will find some confusing conflicts regarding the two axle ratio choices. This is because Ford uses the various option packages to determine which ratio you will get with your truck. In the end, again it does not matter. Power and mileage differences are statistically insignificant with either the 3.31 or 3.55 gear ratios or the wheel size.

3. Any option package that uses 20 inch wheels will always have the 3.55 ratios. The 3.31 is not available with 20 inch rubber.

4. If you add the "camper package" option, you will not get the 20 inch wheels. You do get to choose the ratio of your preference though.

5. 17 inch and 18 inch wheeled trucks can get either the 3.31 or the 3.55 ratios. Unless there is another option package that changes the rules. Again it does not matter. The truck doesn't care.

6. The traction enhancement option on all F25/F350 SRW trucks is simple. There is an Electric Locker rear differential available. There is no traditional "limited slip rear end" available in the SRW trucks. The E Locker works great.

7. There is no higher numerically gear ratio available in a SRW diesel truck than 3.55. There is no 3.73 or 4.10 like you can get in the gas truck. If someone tells you different, he is wrong.

8. If you want a particular look with your factory wheel choice, just go with what you like. It may change your axle ratio but it does not matter performance wise.

9. Refer to number one. Figure out what options are important to you...the truck will not care. Whichever wheel size or gear ratio you end up with, performance differences have been proven over and over again to be insignificant.

I have the truck in my signature and the fiver as well. I have 24000 miles on the truck. Over 8000 of these miles have been towing the 13000 pound fiver. Up and down 9% grades and and all across the Mid- West, the truck has taken every condition in stride. Good Luck with your search

Regards
Old 03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior User

BTyner41 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rick says it well. Welcome to the club.
Line-X Bedliner
EZ Down Tailgate Assist
Rollbak G2 Bedcover
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior User

Big-Sarge is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
20 inch all the way!!

Click the image to open in full size.

If you want 18 inch wheels buy a Hyundia
Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Postmaster

kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge View Post
20 inch all the way!!

If you want 18 inch wheels buy a Hyundia
Now that was just uncalled for!
You leave the 18" wheels alone.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 PM
New User

NMelkaholic is starting off with a positive reputation.

That is one beautiful truck, I just ordered the exact truck with the 20's Rims last week for the exception of the adobe trim which I went with the sterling grey trim. The only reason for that was my last truck had the adobe trim and just wanted something a little different. (Again Beautiful Truck.)
My local ford dealer could not get allocation till tonight at midnight so I guess my timer starts tonight
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Senior User

KPER05....I can't see them they are sooooo small....

Just kidding....I bought the 20 inch wheels since I have no plans of upgrading them in the future.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMelkaholic View Post

That is one beautiful truck, I just ordered the exact truck with the 20's Rims last week for the exception of the adobe trim which I went with the sterling grey trim. The only reason for that was my last truck had the adobe trim and just wanted something a little different. (Again Beautiful Truck.)
My local ford dealer could not get allocation till tonight at midnight so I guess my timer starts tonight
Thanks brother!! You will love your new truck!! I have no idea how I lived life without heated seats!! They rock!! These trucks are stupid fast!! I try not to race other vehicles at stop lights....but I can't help it!!! The shift from 3rd to 4th gear will make you giggle!! Please post some pictures of your new truck when you get it!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Senior User

Shepardsonp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have both stock 20" KR wheels and a set of 18" wheels for the best of both worlds!! I plan on towing with the 18" with Michelin MS/2's as they have a much higher tread life warranty than the AT/2's that came with the truck.

Tires and these trucks is a very controversial topic - everyone has their own opinions.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Elder User

FORDTUF1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[quote=NMelkaholic;10161501]Click the image to open in full size.

I've got the same truck too, but got rid of the crappy Michelin tires. I had chunks falling off of them and they and they absolutely sucked in even the smallest amount of mud. Running the BFG AT's.
07 Wildcat 36' 5'er ~ 11,000 lb house on wheels
Old 04-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Senior User

TheKid1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same, but with tri-coat white, and the Ford installed mudflaps. 20's fill the wheel well better, in my opition...

If you want 18 inch wheels buy a Hyundia[/quote]
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
New User

NMelkaholic is starting off with a positive reputation.
[quote=FORDTUF1;10171022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMelkaholic View Post

I've got the same truck too, but got rid of the crappy Michelin tires. I had chunks falling off of them and they and they absolutely sucked in even the smallest amount of mud. Running the BFG AT's.

FordTUF1
I am also looking at the doing the same and going with the BFG AT's when my truck comes in. If possible could you post a Picture of your truck with the BFG's.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Posting Guru

Marauder92V has a good reputation on FTE.Marauder92V has a good reputation on FTE.
I have the 20 inch wheels and love them. As mentioned earlier, they fill the wheel well better. I also think they give you a little bit more ride height -- which caused me angst when I went to pull it into the garage the first time (I clear by less than an inch on standard 8X7),
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
18, 20, 2011, escape, explorer, f150, f250, ford, gas, gear, grand, inch, milage, rapids, ratio, wheels