1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford warranty declining coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Ford warranty declining coverage

So, I've posted on a few issues I've had with my truck before. One I've been trying to follow up on recently has been the chrome is peeling off the running boards that came with the chrome package. Been to the dealer 3 times on this in the past 3-4 months. First time they had to check with Ford. Never heard back. Called them back and they told me Ford was asking for pictures. Ok, went back up and they took pictures. A week later they want me up again to re do the pictures. Ok, we do it again. Then nothing. Well, I call yesterday and the dealer says Ford is giving them the run around. Now I call Ford customer support directly. They escalate my claim and tell me a regional person will be calling me the next day. (Today.) This morning I get a call. "Christina" tells me the warranty tech department has reviewed the pics of the chrome peeling and finds it to be unwarrantable. She then tells me that neither she nor the dealer can change this decision. She says the dealer can appeal the decision but this never works. I tell her this is 100% unacceptable! I have close to a 50k truck with only 20k miles that is a garage queen most of the time. I keep it like new all the time. Never let salt or dirt sit and wash it regularly. She tells me a supervisor will be calling me in 1-2 business hours. So, now I wait with my blood boiling. How can chrome literally peeling off in small sheets, not be covered under warranty? I know this isn't like having an engine blow or a tranny go, but still. I paid big bucks only to have their warranty fall flat. And it's silly on their part. I'll never buy another Ford product if this is how they support after the sale. Plus I'll post my experience all over the net both here and on other forums. If they loose just one vehicle sale, will it be worth it to not warranty something that probably costs them $100-200? Seems to be a very poor business decision.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did they give a reason why they would not cover it?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Wagion
Did they give a reason why they would not cover it?
No, just they declined it. Of course I can't contact that department directly to question them.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Maybe do a search and see if other people are having problems with peeling chrome.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a thread on here about it, it helped me learn to clean my truck more and inspect the chrome more. If more people have problems ford should have to do something... Toyota did with the tailgates on the Tundras when they would separate. If I get a problem with the chrome I'm just going to request painted bumpers over chrome.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
CurtSD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't sunrise me. The same thing happened to me. About 6 months before my wifes's lincoln's warranty expired the chrome started peeling off of all 4 wheels. I called Lincoln first and they said no problem to replace them all I had to do was have the dealer take pictures and it would get done. So I goto the dealer and the manager wouldn't even go look at the car. He told me they never do replacements. He said all chrome wheels peel after a year or so. They kept stalling till the warranty expired, so I ended up getting aftermarket wheels. Now the chrome on the grill of my super duty is bubbling and soon to peel. Of course my warranty is gone, so ill be painting my grill to match the two tone accent color.

If I were u I would keep calling Ford until u get somewhere.

Curt

Old 03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
This is why I do not put faith in warrenties like some do. I noticed a dent in my running board the week after I bought my truck and the dealer swapped it out no problem.

The situation you are in is completely unacceptable IMO however you may be SOL. If you write some letters to Ford you might end up with a hat or a blanket out of it. If you decide to say screw it and buy another one you can find new take offs on a ebay for a fair price every now and then. Luckily the steps on my 04' are anodized aluminum and still look great despite being over 6 YO. Sounds like Ford is cheaping out on inferior parts to try and save money. They did this in the past and it did nothing but anger customers and send business to the japanesse. Guess they still don't get it.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
It just kills me that I keep my truck so perfect. Never let salt of grit stay on it. Constantly detailing. So, I get a call from Kyle this afternoon. A total corporate nitwit. Kyle clearly has a list of responses that Ford has given him to read to me. His three favorites are "I understand", "I'm trying to help you", and "a decision has been made." First he tried to tell me the dealer recommended to decline coverage. Well, I've been on with the dealer just an hour before who told me it should be covered and they did everything they could to get Ford to cover it. I repeatedly try to get him to hold while I conference call the dealership so we can see who's being truthful. He says he won't participate in that and will only conference call with me and the dealer if he can call them first. Apparently he needs to get his story straight, LOL. Then he tells me that the decision is final and there is no way to appeal and that the warranty division has the last word. He will not however tell me how to talk with directly. I ask to talk to his supervisor over and over. He refuses. In the end I insist on knowing why the claim was turned down and since the dealer agrees with me and I can't talk to the warranty people, then he needs to tell me. His answer? Running boards are "A WEAR ITEM!" If I wasn't so upset, I would have laughed out loud. When I ask him to explain, he says my foot when I step on it wears the chrome off. Now I have to spend 10 minutes explaining to this half wit how Ford's running boards are set up. There are plastic inserts every 1/2 inch that are 1/4 inch tall as grips on the top of the running board everywhere you can possibly step. I ask him to explain to me how my size 12 shoe can fit in the half inch gaps between the plastic inserts to cause this? He can't answer but repeats that it is a wear item. This guy when repeatedly beaten down with logic, just kept repeating himself. In the end, I'm out of luck. His last suggestion was to go to another dealer. What in the world will this do when decisions on corrosion claims are all made by the same warranty department that my dealer went through? I will NEVER buy another Ford after this disrespectful little man talked to me the way he did. What a poor business decision too. How much profit would Ford have made on my next truck purchase in a year or so? Now Chevy gets it. All for a couple hundred bucks on a valid warranty claim...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM
1buzzbait
Elder User
3/36--- no physical damage---peeling chrome is a warrantable condition---period, is there more to this story?--something is missing

Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 PM
System
Prolocutor
Peeling chrome is not covered under the 3/36. Corrosion and rust are a separate warranty and have completely different rules. No damage. My truck looks as good as the day I bought it. It's a garage queen when I'm not towing and never gets put away dirty. No more to the story. I'm just screwed. Call Kyle. He will tell you. Peeling chrome isn't a warrantable condition. Trust me, we spent 30 minutes debating the fact. Running boards according to Ford are a wear item!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work at a dealership and replace running boards, step bars, wheels, grilles, and other parts frequently due to finish issues. It is true that you have to get prior approval from Ford on some items, but I've never been turned down.

Not sure why your dealership has an issue, or the Ford rep for that matter.

Find a friend with a similar truck, swap steps, then have him go to another dealer. See what happens.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by FireMe
I work at a dealership and replace running boards, step bars, wheels, grilles, and other parts frequently due to finish issues. It is true that you have to get prior approval from Ford on some items, but I've never been turned down.

Find a friend with a similar truck, swap steps, then have him go to another dealer. See what happens.

That's amazing. My dealer told me they always get prior approval on corrosion issues as if they replace something like a running board, even with peeling chrome, Ford may not cover it. Therefor, they always take pics and send them to the warranty department first to get prior approval so they don't get stuck with the bill. The warranty department said that after reviewing the pics (clearly showing areas missing chrome) that they would probably "bounce" the claim if the dealer submitted it. I can't figure out who is being the sleaze. Ford or my dealer?! Maybe I should try another dealer and see what they say...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by FireMe

PS, wish I was in MI, I'd come by your place!!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not quite how the process works though. When a customer comes in and has an issue with a part, we first check to see if it is on the "Prior Approval" list. If it is, we take pictures showing the defect and submit them to the "Digital Imaging" department at Ford. They take an hour or two then send back an approval code, or deny it and give an explanation. There is no "may/may not" reimburse the dealer. The only time I've ever heard Ford not paying a claim to a dealer after an approval is if the dealer misrepresented the claim or intentionally hid damage while taking the pictures.

I don't know who your dealer is but either they don't know what they are doing or the information is getting distorted as it is passed along the chain from the technician to you.

If you bought the truck from them, I would go back to the dealership and plead your case. Especially if you have maintenance performed there. Get your salesperson involved. See if they would be willing to push the issue further for you, if not step up themselves and pay for all or part of the repairs. We sometimes do this for good customers if they are willing to pay at least 10 percent of the repair costs depending on the circumstances.

Based solely on what you are telling us, I don't think you should have to pay anything, but sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do in order to get what you want.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
System
Prolocutor
Yes, it was as you described. They sent pics to Digital Imaging who said they would not cover it. Sorry, I've heard so many terms today, I can't remember them all. So at that point the dealer told me there was nothing I could do. Kyle agreed. Both actually said, "probably will not cover", so I guess both the Ford rep and my dealer are off if you say it's a yes or no issue. What I can't fathom is why digital imaging would say no to obvious peeling of chrome? As for the dealer, no I did not buy from them. What that has to do with covering an obvious part failure is not clear to me. If something fails under warranty, it fails and I would NEVER pay 10% or 10 cents towards getting it replaced. If Ford won't stand behind their vehicles, I trade when the 5/60 runs out and never look back. And, I'll take every friend and family member who will listen with me.

Quick Reply: Ford warranty declining coverage