6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

IMPORTANT - Diesel Fuel Quailty & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rk3838
Ron, No Ive never used any additives at all. It was the low pressure pump back in October that was changed
Ok, thanks for the replies. I have been using either Power Service or Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Lubricant since about 3000 miles. I now have 31,000 miles and will be changing fuel filters soon for the second time. I changed and cut the original fuel filters up at 16,000 miles, and inspected them for metallic fragments. None were found. Hopefully this second change nets the same results.

Hope you get some relief somewhere. Whether it be FOMOCO,fuel supplier, or Insurance Co. My Ins. agent told me my truck would be covered under comprehensive if it were a vandalism issue. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sledhead_24_7
I was told that the filters are as following for the micron. Frame mounted= 5 micron, engine mounted = 2 micron.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...eTableBook.jpg

Frame mounted is 10 micron; engine compartment is 4 micron; source: 6.7 Power Stroke coffee table book (page 51; pdf doc page 53 of 94)

Bob

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
So a 2 micron filter in something like the diesel-site setup should really extend the factory filter life, which are about $55 a kit.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
So a 2 micron filter in something like the diesel-site setup should really extend the factory filter life, which are about $55 a kit.
Unfortunately, Ford will probably claim it screwed up you fuel pressure or something and deny your warranty. This crap will catch up with them and will loose loyal customers.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
Unfortunately, Ford will probably claim it screwed up you fuel pressure or something and deny your warranty. This crap will catch up with them and will loose loyal customers.
And maybe it could actually screw up your fuel pressure and cause pump failure. The pump isn't going to care how pure the fuel is if it doesn't get enough.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...eTableBook.jpg

Frame mounted is 10 micron; engine compartment is 4 micron; source: 6.7 Power Stroke coffee table book (page 51; pdf doc page 53 of 94)

Bob
Thanks for setting me straight, thats what you get when someone tells you stuff and not looking on your own.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by dbc001
I didn't get the course or certificate on refueling ..... Aside from not using a cellphone that is.
I hate to bring up such an old post and I didn't read past it so it may have already be brought up but this comment made me lol pretty hard, using a cell phone while refilling doesn't do anything. Lol!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SultanGris
I hate to bring up such an old post and I didn't read past it so it may have already be brought up but this comment made me lol pretty hard, using a cell phone while refilling doesn't do anything. Lol!

Oh but your wrong. You might get to talk or text to somebody. Lol

Old 12-18-2013, 12:27 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 884 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by SultanGris
I think the comment was originally made in the context of refilling your DEF tank. in that dont be distracted talking on the cell phone, and put DEF in your fuel tank as others on this forum have admitted too. Thats a $10,000+ mistake if you start your truck after that.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by djousma

I think the comment was originally made in the context of refilling your DEF tank. in that dont be distracted talking on the cell phone, and put DEF in your fuel tank as others on this forum have admitted too. Thats a $10,000+ mistake if you start your truck after that.
Ah, fair enough, I'm new to the forum so I haven't seen those threads yet and thought he just meant while filling the fuel, lol!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Being the topic has resurfaced...

I'd be curious if these HPFP contamination issues are catastrophic or over a longer period of time. I ask this because I saw the pictures in the Ford tech bulletin that shows an example of contaminated fuel showing rust formations on the HPFP inlet "parts" (forget the exact component(s).)

I bought my 12' 6.7L as a left over. The truck sat at the dealership for a full year with the same tank of diesel. I read a lot of posts about "old diesel" and diesel being hydroscopic. If I ever have a HPFP failure and it's denied warranty due to contamination...?

even if it's a 100K miles later...who knows if it was "possible" contamination from the original year old diesel that set the wheels in motion for failure. Heck, the doc says my arthritic knee is due to an injury over 30 tears ago, I said I hadn't had any issues during the last 30 years, he said yup! that's the way it goes.

Bobby

Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bobbykjl
Being the topic has resurfaced...

I'd be curious if these HPFP contamination issues are catastrophic or over a longer period of time. I ask this because I saw the pictures in the Ford tech bulletin that shows an example of contaminated fuel showing rust formations on the HPFP inlet "parts" (forget the exact component(s).)

I bought my 12' 6.7L as a left over. The truck sat at the dealership for a full year with the same tank of diesel. I read a lot of posts about "old diesel" and diesel being hydroscopic. If I ever have a HPFP failure and it's denied warranty due to contamination...?

even if it's a 100K miles later...who knows if it was "possible" contamination from the original year old diesel that set the wheels in motion for failure. Heck, the doc says my arthritic knee is due to an injury over 30 tears ago, I said I hadn't had any issues during the last 30 years, he said yup! that's the way it goes.

Bobby
I've wondered about that myself. I keep all my fuel receipts as per the recommendation of my insurance agent. Insurance will cover failure due to contaminated fuel, but was it necessarily the last tank that caused the failure??