6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

IMPORTANT - Diesel Fuel Quailty & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... Whodathunkit...

Maybe we should design a diesel fuel test strip that we can check our fuel before fueling.

I don't thinkt Habu at Quicki Mart gives a dam about fuel quality. I buy my fuel as close to the major thoroughfares as possible to make sure I am getting the freshest fuel as possible. Do I pay a few pennies a gallon more? Maybe so but it's cheaper if you get a bad fill.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
"We sell diesel?"
"Oh right, I think it's that pump over there."

I'm on my 49th tank of fuel and 848.15 gallons purchased (not including dealer delivery fill).
11 DFCM drains to the same clear jug (adding to) and no water has separated from the diesel so I'm happy with the fuel I've used.
I try to use the Motorcraft PM-22-A additive every other tank especially in the winter but sometimes I don't have a bottle with me.

I stick to the busy stations but we can't control everything.
Shouldn't need a test lab with me every time I fill up.
Some diesel owners waiting already get impatient when you're at the pump for more than a few minutes.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:03 AM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see it now...another sensor on the fuel inlet with a red or green LED for ADF (acceptable diesel fuel). Of course you would then need a holding area for the red lighted (bad) fuel with another sensor on it to let you know your BDT (bad diesel tank) is full and your SYNC system could tell you where the nearest BDDS (bad diesel dumping station) is.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I guess if you're low in the good tank then you'll be pushing your truck to the BDDS.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:49 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Bump for recent discussions.
This info is a part of the 6.7L Tech Folder.

Last edited by glruff; 10-24-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM
GZip
Senior User
Originally Posted by pbruckne
Engine operation on fuels and additives that do not meet the lubrication, cooling and anti-corrosion properties required by the HP fuel system components may cause symptoms including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Crank No Start
  • Long Crank/Hard Start
  • Runs Rough
  • Low Power
  • Engine Knocking
  • Exhaust Smoke
  • Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) slow to build
Follow the appropriate service procedure depending on whether the engine has been started with contaminated fuel, or not.

NOTE:

Failure to follow these procedures may result in fuel system and/or engine damage and may require vehicle warranty cancellation submission.

So where exactly can I find these "lubrication, cooling and anti-corrosion properties required by the HP fuel system components"?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
It does sound a bit ambiguous. The standards for fuel quality are managed/set by the EPA for which the auto industry designs their powertrains around. Most of the ULSD major distributors do a decent job but there's still too much variability, bio-fuels probably being the worse offenders. Probably too much detail to get into the specifics here, however you can google search for some interesting info. Here's the link to the gov. regs.

Diesel Fuel | Fuels and Fuel Additives | US EPA
Paul, this being so, why is Ford using an HPFP that the manufacturer recommends a scar rating of 460 yet the fuel standard is 520? This seems to be setting the consumer up for failure. If lubrication is such an important part of this system why isn't Ford telling us of the need to add lubicants to our fuel when we take delivery. Or is the 60 point difference in the scar rating a non issue?

Rich

Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Unfortunately, Paul hasn't been on FTE since May. It would sure be nice if he could come on here and give us a little guidance on this though. Maybe Tom can contact him.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Well my opinion for what it's worth is that it dosen't matter how clean or high volume, your diesel stop is. All it takes is a load of water in the belly of the tanker delivering the fuel and "game over". I don't believe that there are any regulations governing the tanker's cleanlieness prior to filling and delivery. So we are playing fuel roulette everytime that we fill the tank, hoping that the purity of the fuel is up to par. Apparently the trucks filter/warning system is marginal, and the HPFP is not designed to operate in the real world where getting a load of contaminated fuel is always a possibility.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Geez, don't get me started on talking to gas station managers.

"you have ULSD?, your pump says LSD. Are you sure?"

Don't even get me started on trying to get DEF. even at truck stops.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 AM
AlexWV
Senior User
I don't know how I missed this thread back in March but it is laughable, really. It does show Ford was ramping up the CYA program quite a while ago.

In short, please talk with your diesel fuel providers/stations/etc. where possible to discuss diesel fuel quality.
Yeah, right. Do the people who dream this stuff up actually go out in the real world ever? It'll be a pretty short discussion most places:
Me to High School Kid: Do you reckon the diesel fuel here is going to ruin my truck or it's good?
High School Kid to Me: Wut?
Me to High School Kid: Ok, then. Turn on Pump #10 would ya? Oh, and do you have any DEF?
High School Kid to Me: Wut?

there's still too much variability, bio-fuels probably being the worse offenders.
And this is why Ford stuck the big old B-20 badge on the truck I guess.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
NinerBikes
Senior User
Originally Posted by AlexWV

And this is why Ford stuck the big old B-20 badge on the truck I guess.
Ford slapped that on there to provide the illusion that their truck will run on states that have forced their people to run biodiesel blends higher than B5. It's a sales gimmick. Minnesota and Illinois come to mind as states that have strong farm lobbies, forcing it for all to use.

It's just a future fuel proof marketing gimmick. There aren't enough beans farmed to run the whole country on B2, let alone B10 or B11, which is a tax subsidy. B11 gets a huge tax break in Illinois.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
The standard does exist - it is http://www.xtremefueltreatmentdenver..._D975_TEST.pdf

Testing methods are listed at ASTM D975 - 11 Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (but they cost money to read).

I can't find it now, but I have seen in the past a link that explained the development process for ASTM D975. Basically, it said that the fuel manufacturer proposed to make diesel fuel to a certain standard. The auto and engine manufacturers agreed to build their engines to operate on fuel that meets the standard.

If you get a bad load of fuel, chances are you aren't the only one unless, as Paul's original post suggests, you purchased from a low volume fuel station. If trucks are dying on the road within a couple of miles of a major fuel station because they are pumping bad fuel (delivery driver put gas in the diesel storage tank?), chances are there will be some compensation from the fueling station or company - although you might have to join the fight to get it.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by NinerBikes
Ford slapped that on there to provide the illusion that their truck will run on states that have forced their people to run biodiesel blends higher than B5. It's a sales gimmick.
Cite your sources, please? Links to an authoritative source where this apparent statement of fact can be verified.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for the record...Paul Bruckne is no longer with the 6.7 Engine group. He is now working with Ford's Lincoln division...

Regards

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT - Diesel Fuel Quailty & Warranty