Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Junior User

HDBiker67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Excursion Springs vs Add a leaf...

Ok, don’t shoot the messenger here…lol. I’m just posting what I was told at a local reputable 4wd specialty shop. They specialize in installing plows and utility beds on heavy duty trucks, also lifts & suspension. They have been doing this for well over 30 years. So it’s not a fly by night, “Joe Shmoe” garage. But what he said took me by surprise and was contrary to what I have read here.

I went to ask him if he had used F250 springs to swap out to my Ex. He asked why. I explained what I have read & learned here, soft OEM springs, etc. He tells me the front springs are the same on a F250 & Ex. I told him respectfully I read different. He proceeded to tell me how long he has been doing this, so I politely said Ok and moved on in conversation. He said to add a leaf to both front & rear springs that will do the same thing and save a lot of work. He stated that’s what they do when they add plows. But I thought to myself well that’s because they are stiffer springs to begin with, but didn’t want to get in an argument with the guy because there was no way he would give up on that idea. So I asked for an estimate on adding a leaf. For just parts, about $260 for the front & $120 for the rear. Then if they did the work another 2-300.

He asked what tires I was running, I told him E rated BFG’s. He tells me, BFG’s tend to have soft sidewalls and will cause flexing. I am running them 55 psi in front & 65 in rear. He says that’s ok, but to go up to 80.

He also told me he has done the same thing to an Ex down the street, so I asked if the he tows with it. He wasn’t sure.

So all in all, I’m not really buying what he is selling because he works mainly with pick ups, few Ex’s. And not sure if those tow anything.

So, please, no flaming, I am just looking for more experience here and sharing info I received, right or wrong. Just posting this for educational purposes.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Senior User

airjeff has a good reputation on FTE.airjeff has a good reputation on FTE.
Yeah, your right, he doen't know what he is talking about. I've seen the springs and they are different. Unless you find it drives best at 80psi, don't do it, you shouldn't need to.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Junior User

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the tire pressure thing either.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Senior User

Red Ex has a very good reputation on FTE.Red Ex has a very good reputation on FTE.Red Ex has a very good reputation on FTE.
Here is a good thread with the spring rates listed - Spring Height Change ESTIMATES - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

The guy has a way to beef up the springs but it would offer a harsh ride. Just because he has done it 30 years does not make it right especially since these vehicles have only been around for ten.

The spring change is the right way to add the needed suspension travel. I have the V/mod B springs and the ride is awesome both loaded and unloaded. It rides better than our other vehicles yet can handle 1300lbs of tongue weight. The W and X would offer slightly more lift but would ride a little stiff for my liking. The W and X would work good with a heavier front bumper. With the V's we have no body roll yet it can soak up the larger and smaller bumps without compromising the ride.
2005 Excursion - ARP Studs, EGR, CCV Mod, 4" MBRP, Insight, ART cyro/slotted rotors, SCT, V and B spring mod, 4.5" ICON lift, 4.30 gears, True Trac, OUO traction bar, 30mm sway, 5100 Bilstien shocks - dual front, pro comp dual steer stab, Red Head Steering Box, 305/70-18 Nitto Dura Grappler, 18" Moto Metal Wheels, Kenwood-DVD/GPS, Alpine headrest monitors, backup camera, custom spare tire subwoofer, sunroof.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Posting Guru

gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
I had leaves added front and rear and do tow with mine. It tows just fine plus it sits a good bit higher now. I too have BFG AT K/O "E" tires. I agree that they tend to have softer sidewalls. Well, they seemed softer than the last set of tires I had. I run them at 80 psi.

Was going to post a picture but just realized that I don't have any current pictures taken since I've had the springs done.

Oh, I got the work done for free. Well, swapped work with the guy. He said he usually gets $250 to add a leaf to the front of a Super Duty.

Scott
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4 V10 4.30, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, Scan Gauge II, 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs, ProComp springs 22210 front and 22415 rear, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Powerslot slotted rotors w/ Hawk SuperDuty pads up front, Hawk SuperDuty pads on the rear stock rotors, Optima Red Top Battery, 05 headlights, F250 grill (In the 200k club now!)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Senior User

TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.
IMHO - Spring swap is the way to go. The V's I put on did the trick on the (very) heavy front end of a 7.3L EX. The OEM's are just too soft. Haven't done the rears yet as I'm still looking for a cheap pair of B or F codes. Anybody got some to part with?

I did have BFG AT's on the EX but when one of them shreded coming back from Inks Lake SP in Central TX, I changed them all to Michelien LTX AT's.

Let me tell you the Michielns have a much. much softer sidewall. I ran the BFG's at 65/60 (Front to rear) w/o a tow and bumped them up from there when I towed. With the LTX's I run them at the same pressures and the ride is much softer due to sidewall flex.

D
Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ex View Post
Here is a good thread with the spring rates listed - Spring Height Change ESTIMATES - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Bruce is the man. All of the different ratings you see listed on the forums regarding V codes/W codes/X codes are from Bruce's spread sheet that a lot of us have saved on our hard drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBiker67 View Post
He tells me the front springs are the same on a F250 & Ex. I told him respectfully I read different. He proceeded to tell me how long he has been doing this
So basically he's saying all the information Ford has on their DIFFERENT front springs (U codes/V codes/W codes/X codes etc) is completely false, and that Ford has intentionally lied about the different ratings and capacity's for each spring?

ROTFLMAO!!

Click the image to open in full size.

30 years means he's got a LOT of experience, but it doesn't mean he's always right.

If a metorologist (you know, a weatherman on TV) with 30 years of experience tells you the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, you'd know that just because he had 30 years of experience doesn't make him correct!

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Junior User

Im right there with you Stewart, just passing it along for what its worth...lol.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBiker67 View Post
Im right there with you Stewart, just passing it along for what its worth...lol.
I thought it was great that you passed it on! We needed the laugh!

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM
New User

chaosnaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Leaf Springs upgrade

There's alot of good info on Leaf Sping upgades in here but where's the best place to purchance these springs. What are some thoughts on putting them in yourself. Do I need an alignment afterwards.
I have an 2004 Ex where I just realized my rubber bumberstops are almost gone. Some local suspension shop just told me to add a leaf for about 600-700$. Crazy!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM

I did all my own work with a buddy's help because I have a bad back, without any problems.

No, you won't need an alignment.

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
New User

chaosnaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Found this to be very helpful!
2000 Ford Excursion V-Code Leaf Spring Installation pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
I still need to find where to buy the V code springs
Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosnaz View Post
Found this to be very helpful!
2000 Ford Excursion V-Code Leaf Spring Installation pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
I still need to find where to buy the V code springs
VERY good instructions. Just ignore the part when it comes to getting to the front spring eye bolt, and remove the front bumper instead.

Four bolts and the bumper is off. It's a lot easier than what the link instructs you to do.

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior User

airjeff has a good reputation on FTE.airjeff has a good reputation on FTE.
The bumper is four bolts, plus remove the corner support on the bumper. Much easier than the method they show on the writeup.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
New User

Bioguzzler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where does a guy buy these v code springs? I need a new set in the worst way!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
1996, 54, add, addaleaf, code, excursion, explore, f150, ford, leaf, shocks, spring, springs, vcode, vs