Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Performance tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Performance tuners

I was thinking about picking up a tuner for the Ranger. I was wondering if anyone on here had used any tuners like Diablosport Predator(http://www.diablosport.com)? There are others out there for both gas and diesel applications just wondering if folks have had a positive experience. I'd like to tune for mileage and performance and see how worthwhile the results would be.

Frank

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
LightningRyan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablosport makes a decent one for Ford but most people will go with an SCT for a Ford. In the Lightning world I would say 70% of people have an SCT. I would definitely call up Pat or Todd at Steeda.ca (905) 693-1817. I think they sell them for around $400 with everything. If you do call them tell them Ryan from next door sent you.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
68murc
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A buddy of mine bought a SUPERCHIPS tuner for his GM. He got it because he often hauls a trailer full of wood. It had four different performance options; 1) stock. 2) stock w/ user selected changes, (shift points etc.) 3) performance mode. 4) tow mode.
It was good for any GM truck from 96 to present.
He had to take his truck to the dealer for some warranty work, so he put his truck back in stock mode. He let me borrow the tuner for my Burban. I tried it in performance mode. I could definately feel the difference. It wasn't mind blowing but it was still impressive. The Burban would accelerate hard enough to lock the seatbelts, it revved higher and shifted harder. I liked it. I checked it out at the SUPERCHIPS web site and it said a 25 - 40 hp improvement for my vehicle, which felt about right.
Then I checked for this tuner on EBAY, they were less than $300. I don't know what else you can buy to get that kind of power for that kind of money AND not spend the whole weekend installing it in your truck, like you would with a set of headers. It takes 5 min to do the programming. All in all, I would recommend one if your looking for some more power. I don't really need one, but I'm still having a hard time convincing myself of that. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 AM
EPI-911
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would NEVER buy diablo sport ever again!!! I had one in my 05 Ex, and thats one of the reasons why when my 05 was able to be let loose I let her go. The tuner was bought from the dealer and they said it was perfect for the 6.0L truck. Ummmm total mistake on my part!! That being said I have since switched to a SCT Tuner and my only complaint is I wished rather then buying the livewire I just got the simple X3 and a set of gauges. Too many steps to get back into the gauge mode.