Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake and exhaust questions

Hey fellas,
I'm looking for some opinions...
The 85 is staying N/A, and my exhaust has rusted out in a few places, so I keep patching it. Looks like it's finally going to be on its last leg in a few weeks here...so I'm in the design process.
I had a rusted out Y-Pipe on my first IDI. So I cut the pipes anf left about 8-10" to work an elbow over. I ended up running dual 2-1/4" pipes and it worked pretty good.
I'd like to revise that this time though. I'm thinking I'll cut the pipes about 2" away from the flange and weld a 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" adapter, then weld a 2-1/2" to 3" adapter right onto that. Run some 3" elbows and enter into 3" inlet mufflers underneath the cab. Then exit the mufflers and dump 'em out on a 45 degree angle in front of the rear tires.

I'd like to run a high-flow muffler. Anybody have opinions on good ones? I'll have to buy 2, 1 for each pipe. Straight pipe is just way too loud for me...

As for the intake...well, I'm going to run 4" aluminum dryer vent tubing with a 4" range hood to the radiator support. It looks like I'll have to cut the radiator bracket and weld some new ones in a different spot to get maximum ram air into the intake pipe. I will do this on both sides. I have 2 spare air cleaner assemblies, so I'll cut a hole in my current one and weld on some steel in a 4" circle so the passenger side ram air tube can hook up. Similar to this: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72...k/100_2217.jpg

Now, my biggest question is if the stock air filter flows well enough to add 2 ram air intakes to it?
If possible, I'd also like to add in a custom cowl intake too! 2 cowl intakes would be even better! Bringing the total to 2 ram air intakes and 2 cowl air intakes. But if the stock air filter won't flow all that air...then I'll just run dual 6637 filters on PVC like this: Dual intake air cleaner image by tondawg01 on Photobucket
And I'd try to plumb in the cowl intake to that as well...just not sure where to place a filter for that air...

Being a cheapo, I'm atracted to the $29 price tag of a stock air filter...rather than the price tag of 2 $59 6637 filters ($118 + tax!)

The idea is to run 3" exhaust as close as possible to the manifolds so that I can handle all this extra intake air.

Opinions?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Even being na id think you may need something more stout then dryer tubing because if you pull vaccum on it at all its going to fold like a cheap tent in a hurricane.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think he is planning on using the harder aluminum dryer ducting. That stuff is pretty stout. You certainly won't make any tight bends with it......

Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
check my pics here, i did what you are describing but with a dual 3" into single 4". The intake in those pics is my own creation and could handle 600CFM, just keep in mind the turbo version like im running now wont inhale more than 500CFM so dual 6637's would be a horrible waste of money. dual ram air or dual cowl but the need for all of them, just overkill. not saying you cant do it or shouldnt, but it might extend your budget on an engine that will never inhale more than 300 CFM, saying math works and those 6637's are capable of several times that much. know what i mean.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Yeah, it's the sturdier aluminum type. At the hardware store they had the flimsy stuff that I said NO WAY. It had ribs and seemed to be wrapped in plastic to make the tubing.
The stuff I bought is aluminum all the way thru, very sturdy.

And this 4" range hood transition piece fits perfectly between the radiator and battery tray on the passenger side. Like it was meant to be! The drivers side is a little tighter, but work-able!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wreckinball
check my pics here, i did what you are describing but with a dual 3" into single 4". The intake in those pics is my own creation and could handle 600CFM, just keep in mind the turbo version like im running now wont inhale more than 500CFM so dual 6637's would be a horrible waste of money. dual ram air or dual cowl but the need for all of them, just overkill. not saying you cant do it or shouldnt, but it might extend your budget on an engine that will never inhale more than 300 CFM, saying math works and those 6637's are capable of several times that much. know what i mean.
Ahhhh, I didn't take the air flow into account. I didn't even realize an N/A engine would only take 300 CFM. Thanks!!
I think I'll go dual ram airs then. One on each side of the radiator.
Oh, and yeah that Y-Pipe looks sweeeeet! I was thinking it would be easier to run straight duals, but I haven't totally tossed the idea of a 3" into 4" home-brew Y-Pipe. That picture has me brain-storming again, and has my mind in a scrambled egg right now hahaha

Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
youll have to secure it well and make sure it doesnt rub anything or it will rub through and start to fall apart. Mine did so i went to the ABS plastic and now to the steel with inter cooler boot couplings.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wreckinball
youll have to secure it well and make sure it doesnt rub anything or it will rub through and start to fall apart. Mine did so i went to the ABS plastic and now to the steel with inter cooler boot couplings.
Thanks for the tips again! I guess that's a good reason for the plastic. I still like how you did the plastic version, using that rubber boot over the intake. I got this picture in my mind of the rubber boot coming off the intake, then a 90* to the front of the engine, then a Y sending a tube to each side of the radiator for the 6637's.
But since the 6637's offer more flow than the engine can handle, I guess I'll stick with the stock air filter and the dual rams. Maybe I can run the plastic from the stock air filter down to the sides of the radiator.
Oh man, you got my mind turned into scrambled eggs again wreck hahahaha

Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
You could do it like this with the stock air filter housing, just weld on another 4" intake port onto the ufo can. Take a heat gun, put it on full blast and heat the inside of the ABS so it becomes soft but not melted, then you can press the ABS onto the intake ports so it wont come off. Made for a solid intake for me on that version.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

this is what i did to mine 5 to 4 in 90 and 4 in Flex Duct i did it after looking at WRECK's setup =)

Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
I've ben stuck on this post by Dave for about an hour. Reading and re-reading and re-reading. Matter of fact, that's the same friggin 4" range hood transition piece I bought at the hardware store!!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8985656

Vfelix, I like your setup also. But is the filter low enough get much ram air?

I think I'm going to run the dual 4" aluminum dryer vent tubing with the 4" range hood transitions, one on each side of the radiator. If it works out fairly well, then I'll replace the auminum vent tubing with plastic.
I will have to come up with soem type of rubber boot connecting to the air filter housing, that way i can just loosen a hose clamp and pull the plastic easily enough for driving in the snow.

One thing for certain, the gerbil is turning the wheel upstairs in my head as if he's getting paid time and a half!

Nice thing though, I'm stuck on the 3" exhaust. Though I think I'll still run dual 3" pipes, because I just don't think I'll have much luck creating my own Y-pipe like you did Wreck.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

I figure it should be better that what I had lol

Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
for the exhaust ypipe its a magnaflow 2-1. I bought the 3" version. Worked perfect! It was only 41 dollars, you cant beat that price! Well you could beat that price if you want my old one!! lol

Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBud
Yeah, it's the sturdier aluminum type. At the hardware store they had the flimsy stuff that I said NO WAY. It had ribs and seemed to be wrapped in plastic to make the tubing.
The stuff I bought is aluminum all the way thru, very sturdy.
i tried that stuff at first.
it collapsed under WOT going up the mountain and was the only time this old girl has ever rolled coal.
however i did already have it partially crushed going over my brake booster.
you might not have any trouble with it.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
there is no way that stuff could have collapsed, are you sure you are talking about the same stuff? that tubing is really tough and our trucks even turbod dont pull a lot of cfm's. Maybe you have the wire skeleton with the thin covering?

Quick Reply: Intake and exhaust questions