6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Black pipes and PCM update

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black pipes and PCM update

As I had stated inside of another thread, I would update on what I was to find out today about black tailpipe after a 900 mile 5er pull this last week. Thought I had better start another thread as I did not want to Hijack. Well here we go! I stopped by the dealer last Friday to schedule a time this week to look at black pipes. So today, they took her in and put it up on the rack. First off, cracked DPF, secondly oil leak out the front. They had to order the DPF. They said retail of $8K for the DPF, does that sound right folks? But it is under the 5/60k warranty, no charge. The oil leak, while waiting on DPF, they will repair, under warranty 5/60K. The PCM update is considered a RECALL, they showed me the message on the computer. I thought it would just be a TSB, but that is why they are calling it mandatory PCM upgrade. So I am in a Flippin' Toyota Corolla rental car from Hertz, supplied by Ford, no charge. I hope the accelerator does not stick.
Just a side note, drove the Toyota to work, I was passed on I-35 by a Super Duty similar to mine, All I could see was the running boards. I felt like a rollar skate in a Nascar race. I now know why I never liked these little cars. I felt rather naked in that thing.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Well the PCM is listed as a CSB...and it does not show up on the recall list.

Interesting that your DPF went to lunch.

It is not listed on Ed's website but I seem to recall around 2K.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by senix
Well the PCM is listed as a CSB...and it does not show up on the recall list.

Interesting that your DPF went to lunch.

It is not listed on Ed's website but I seem to recall around 2K.
On the PCM update, the computer had the words, "recall" for my VIN number. I wonder since it is an early Job 1, that may have something to do with it.

The DPF, I had a feeling thats what it may be. I thinks its been going since my Colorado trip last summer. My pipes were great until I filled in Clayton, NM with B5, about 15 gallons, and from there it went down hill on color. After a few months they started turning back to a light brown but never white ash. On this last pull, they turn black black.

The Cost of DPF is beyond me. I had never asked, and really did not want to. Almost scared to ask.

Steve, the diesel mechanic, said that once we get this done, my mileage will go up drastically. The new DPF's are "more functional". The new PCM update will help also. Well we will see how "more functional" equates, and the update, well again we will see.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
so...before the new DPF unloaded mpgs?

Mine are 13 city and 17 hwy.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

14 city, 17 hway...that is to work and back, 34 miles round trip. On a trip, empty to Kansas City from Waco, average 17-18 unloaded. All hand calculated, I use the Lie-o-meter just to tell me if I am doing better or worse on mileage. But on the other hand the meter is within a mile per gallon of hand calc. Using Diesel Kleen, I see a slight increase in mileage, but longer between regens.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Got my truck back late this afternoon. New DPF, new DPF sensors, new Front seal, New PCM, New Oil Filter assembly. All under the Ford 5/60k warranty. They showed a total cost of the work done under warranty to be $8970.00. They drove it 135 miles while they had it also. Took it in Tuesday morning. I do have to say after driving it only 15 miles, it is a lot quieter and it seems to have a little more get up and go from a stop. I will know more tomorrow as we are hooking up the 5er for a 100 mile trip.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
A new PCM...what in the world for?

I had mine hooked up today. Did a 80 mile run and put in on the scales and did an adjustment of the brakes.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM
rtaylor537
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read this forum faithfully although I rarely post but this time I wanted to thank all of you who have been bird ******* the CSB, TSB and recall information from Ford. It served me well today. (The last post I made about the wisdom of Ford building their billion dollar engine plant in Chihuahua, MX when an investment in the US would have been money better spent and which was not well received here and subsequently yanked from the thread left me a bit nonplussed). Anyway my service engine light came on so I took the 250 to the dealer along with the pdf file of the letter describing the update per memo 11B23. They were "unaware" of this new flash but got on the computer and downloaded the information and did the service to my truck. Had the 40,000 mile service at the same time and was out of there in less than 3 hours. Thanks again to all of you who are on top of the Ford bulletins.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
glad you got it taken care of

Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gearitis
it seems to have a little more get up and go from a stop.
Thats because you have been driving a Toyota for 3 days.

Did you get a new PCM, or get yours flashed? Maybe there is a recall for certain PCM's and its different than the CSB????

Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

They installed a new PCM physically. I had the same question of "why" did you replace the complete module? The answer was, that I have an early Job1, in fact the Diesel tech pointed out that My truck was manufactured in Dec 2006. Yes one of the very first. He said that there were some issues with the first PCM's, hardware wise.( Its a computer, I understand that, things get courrupted in the memory, or if there is a voltage issue, that could cause problems.) They called Ford, explained and Ford authorized the replacement. Also the early DPF's were to "dense".? He said the DPF's now weigh somewhat less and has less resistence. He also said to keep up with my diligence on adding Diesel Kleen or the Motorcraft equivilent.

Hey, its was under the warranty, it cost me nothing other than a 1/4 tank of fuel so they could test and then run it after the installations. I will eat the fuel for them to check it out. I have trusted these guys with my trucks for years and they have always taken care of me.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gearitis
They installed a new PCM physically. I had the same question of "why" did you replace the complete module? The answer was, that I have an early Job1, in fact the Diesel tech pointed out that My truck was manufactured in Dec 2006. Yes one of the very first. He said that there were some issues with the first PCM's, hardware wise.( Its a computer, I understand that, things get courrupted in the memory, or if there is a voltage issue, that could cause problems.) They called Ford, explained and Ford authorized the replacement. Also the early DPF's were to "dense".? He said the DPF's now weigh somewhat less and has less resistence. He also said to keep up with my diligence on adding Diesel Kleen or the Motorcraft equivilent.

Hey, its was under the warranty, it cost me nothing other than a 1/4 tank of fuel so they could test and then run it after the installations. I will eat the fuel for them to check it out. I have trusted these guys with my trucks for years and they have always taken care of me.
Well that explains alot, glad they did all that for you.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 PM
pyro2nite
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the DPF was covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. Also because the oil leak was from the engine, it was also covered under the 100,000. The 60,000 5 year is drive train?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by pyro2nite
I thought the DPF was covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. Also because the oil leak was from the engine, it was also covered under the 100,000. The 60,000 5 year is drive train?
It is, you are correct, they kept saying 5/60k. I just followed suit with their conversation. Sorry to mislead,

I made a 105 mile journey pulling the 5er today, headed south against a 25 mph wind on I-35. Hand calculated, and fully loaded, we got 11.5 mpg. Before 9.5 to 10.5. It seemed like we hand more....umph.....Definitely quicker response. At 65 mph, rpms were running at about 1550 against the wind. Before 1600 with little wind. A combinition of new DPF, less resistance, and PCM, I just seems easier to pull the hills and also taking off seems more snappy. I have yet to feel a regen. Over all, I am happy with the changes that Ford made.
The Service Dept called me at 2 this afternoon, just before they closed, and asked how it seemed to perform. That was somewhat comforting......

Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Geartis,

I think in your case it certainly paid off. I think you had more going on then the average user though being one of the first builds.

Scott

Quick Reply: Black pipes and PCM update