S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I'm done with Photobucket

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm done with Photobucket

I am sick of Photobucket. It has become so slow, and so laden with advertisements, that it is almost unusable IMO. What once was the best photo sharing site out there, has become a victim of their own success.

I switched over to Google Picassa about a month ago. You need to set up a gmail account, and the photo site comes with it. They try to encourage you to download their Picassa editing software, which I did and found it was of no value to me, so I just uninstalled it. They don't make it obvious, but take my word for it that you don't have to use their software if you don't want to.

If the mood strikes you, check it out.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed Picasa for the pics I took at the 6.7 drive last year. I like how the file downloads go straight into that program as well as Windows Photo Gallery.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:30 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
When PB first changed the UI last year, I didn't like it at all. I've gotten used to it since. Their mobile app is nice as you can upload right from phone to PB with one button push.

I will check out Picasa though as I have a gmail acct and am a fan of everything Google.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I haven't figured out how to nest folders within folders, which is something I would really like to do. I think it has to be possible, but without using the application I haven't figured out how.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been holding out of PB and all other picture sharing sites for years but I may just check out Picassa... it'd be nice to finally post some pictures!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a pro account on PhotoBucket, so I don't see all the annoying advertisements.
As for Picassa, it's ok. I use it mainly for keeping my photos organized. I don't use it for hosting or posting pictures.
Bill, when you say "nest folders within folders" you mean another folder within another folder, correct?
I don't think Picassa will show the folder within the folder on the left side pane, it just shows all folders with pictures on your computer.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal
Bill, when you say "nest folders within folders" you mean another folder within another folder, correct?
Correct. And I have since learned that it won't do nested folders, and this missing feature is a major complaint among users. Maybe Google will add the feature in a future release. Meanwhile I can live without it.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 AM
vipervick
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate Photobucket. Solely for the reason that the DOD network blocks it. I can't see any pictures that anyone posts on any forum. Ripway, Imageshack and Picasa all work though...

Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
question for you bill, is there a easy way to transfer pictures from Photobucket to Picassa? i made the mistake of only having pictures on Photobucket and not having any on my computer directly.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Unfortunately, if you only have copies on PB, they are reduced quality pics. Unless you have subscribed to the pro version.

But you can download complete albums of the reduced quality versions to your PC, in zip file format. Just open an album, then go to Album Options, and choose download. Then unzip them, and upload to Picassaweb.

I don't know of any way to make Picassaweb transfer them directly.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for reminding me about this thread Bill. Much handy. I'll make sure to keep copies of everything on disk.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for that, Bill. I keep forgetting my photobucket password and it's a pain trying to reorganize stuff now.

My first experience with Picassa was when my sister sent me a link with pictures of my niece, when she was a newborn.

I may have to check it out. Standby for questions that I may not find answers to.