1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Engine swap, new old?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 98' does and so do the 97's. They should have stuck with aluminum all along IMO. They fixed a short SP casting and then screwed up the plastic composite intakes. My 5.4L is still valuable, when I called the Ford dealer and asked about the long blocks that were so expensive, he asked me what I was going to do with my still running 5.4 2v, then asked to buy it. Those 5.4s with the aluminum intakes are sought after it appears.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...-manifold.html

Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The aluminum intakes heat soak terribly, and are heavy. As for being better,IMO-they are NOT. There is NOT a single problem with the plastic intake other than dinosaur mentality. I've seen just as many of the aluminum intakes with gasket issues as I have the plastic versions-it's always caused by high mileage or poor cooling system maintenance.
JL

Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFTUFF
My 98' does and so do the 97's. They should have stuck with aluminum all along IMO. They fixed a short SP casting and then screwed up the plastic composite intakes. My 5.4L is still valuable, when I called the Ford dealer and asked about the long blocks that were so expensive, he asked me what I was going to do with my still running 5.4 2v, then asked to buy it. Those 5.4s with the aluminum intakes are sought after it appears.

99 5.4 intake manifold - F150online Forums
lol, OK.
A 99 is the only (PI) 5.4 aluminum intake manifold.
97 and 98 are NOT PI intakes.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by phil6608
lol, OK.
A 99 is the only (PI) 5.4 aluminum intake manifold.
97 and 98 are NOT PI intakes.
Now that's the kind of specific information I like to hear!
Thanks Phil!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
The aluminum intakes heat soak terribly, and are heavy. As for being better,IMO-they are NOT. There is NOT a single problem with the plastic intake other than dinosaur mentality. I've seen just as many of the aluminum intakes with gasket issues as I have the plastic versions-it's always caused by high mileage or poor cooling system maintenance.
JL
Well they did have to use a revised plastic intake with an aluminum coolant passage to fix it.

Intake manifold defect

Starting in 1996, Ford began installing a DuPont Zytel nylon-composite intake manifold onto the 2-valve SOHC engines. Plaintiffs in class action lawsuits alleged that the coolant crossover passage of these intake manifolds may crack, resulting in coolant leakage. A US class-action suit was filed on behalf of owners, resulting in a settlement announced on December 17, 2005.
Starting with the 2002 model year, and implemented halfway through the 2001 lineup, Ford began using a revised DuPont Zytel nylon-composite intake manifold with an aluminum front coolant crossover that corrected the issue. Replacement intakes were also made available for 1996–2001 engines.[37] To be eligible for reimbursement, owners needed to contact a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury dealer within 90 days of December 16, 2005. Further, Ford offered an extended warranty for this part, for seven years from the start date (which means the initial vehicle sale date) without a mileage limitation.
The following vehicles were included in this class-action suit settlement:

Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BFTUFF
Well they did have to use a revised plastic intake with an aluminum coolant passage to fix it.

Intake manifold defect

Starting in 1996, Ford began installing a DuPont Zytel nylon-composite intake manifold onto the 2-valve SOHC engines. Plaintiffs in class action lawsuits alleged that the coolant crossover passage of these intake manifolds may crack, resulting in coolant leakage. A US class-action suit was filed on behalf of owners, resulting in a settlement announced on December 17, 2005.
Starting with the 2002 model year, and implemented halfway through the 2001 lineup, Ford began using a revised DuPont Zytel nylon-composite intake manifold with an aluminum front coolant crossover that corrected the issue. Replacement intakes were also made available for 1996–2001 engines.[37] To be eligible for reimbursement, owners needed to contact a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury dealer within 90 days of December 16, 2005. Further, Ford offered an extended warranty for this part, for seven years from the start date (which means the initial vehicle sale date) without a mileage limitation.
The following vehicles were included in this class-action suit settlement:
That particular "issue" was not the plastic intake itself, but the stress of the alternator support bracket pulling on the coolant crossover. You seem FAR too worried about minute little things-are you sure you aren't in over your head with this? You seem to be picking apart any and everything in what you've been told trying to find any kind of problem.
JL

Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 PM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
That particular "issue" was not the plastic intake itself, but the stress of the alternator support bracket pulling on the coolant crossover. You seem FAR too worried about minute little things-are you sure you aren't in over your head with this? You seem to be picking apart any and everything in what you've been told trying to find any kind of problem.
JL
No, I've dealt with this type of problem numerous times in the past and am just looking for the best year model engine choice with the most benefits, the most proven and long lasting design, and the least amount of problems or incompatibilities possible, given all the screw ups those era engineers made in the multiple variations of the 5.4L engine. I like the idea of the new 2011 6.2 L 2v simplification and improved technology as it appears right now. The future will tell the rest, hopefully a good one.

Again, as I was told recently at a Ford dealership, many of those engineers and others associated with those projects were fired by Ford before the new series of current engines were designed. Lets all hope that's true? Research = *money and *time saved! I'm sure we all could use more of *both!

I've gotten valuable information from the experienced posters here, that to me is priceless. Thanks to all of you!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
STOFFERJ
Tuned
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
just figured I'd remind ya'll that PHP will not touch any existing Edge Evo's for the '97-'03 body style trucks due to cable issues...

Phil has got you on the right track

but wow, some of the others posting "info" made me laugh, alot

Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 AM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Check this out, I didn't notice this before. Scroll down to
Item description:
Parts condition notes... (in red type) read...

02 03 04 FORD F150 ENGINE 5.4L - eBay (item 200555087260 end time Apr-13-11 15:28:41 PDT)

Sounds like the engine was damaged in the accident: Pulled timing cover, pulled head, broken cam, replaced six valves,.. on and on.
I didn't see that on my first reading, wonder if they changed it after my inquiry. The guy said he would email me pics on Mon. , they never came. So I emailed him back and he told me to watch the videos on their website and call him instead of sending pics.
What do you guys think of it now??? I'm now thinking I may pass on it, what do you think. A 37,000 mile + motor crashed and pulled apart with questionable repair procedures, partial valve job etc.... Please weigh in. Doesn't look to good to me now? Though it was a fresh 37,000 + mile engine?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by STOFFERJ
just figured I'd remind ya'll that PHP will not touch any existing Edge Evo's for the '97-'03 body style trucks due to cable issues...

Phil has got you on the right track

but wow, some of the others posting "info" made me laugh, alot

I dunno about that. Bill with PHP still works with me on my custom tunes for my Gryphon.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
BFTUFF
Senior User
From the pictures on their ad, it appears that the truck had a high impact on the RF corner mostly above the front bumper. That impact wiped out the hood, rad, and struck the engine. They did change the Ebay add because that information was not their before I contacted them. I'll bet that front timing chain cover was smashed and the right camshaft was broken hence all the valve work after the pistons hit the valves. NO WAY I'M buying that POS! and theirs six bidders right now that probably didn't notice the change!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
That was there in the original add!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Here ya go.
Found this site. They sell factory built engines!
Check them out and get a quote to see how much they are.
I didn't bother getting a quote because it would most likely be different depending on your location.
2003 Ford Engines Rebuilt Engine and Transmission Remanufactured, Used, New Engines, Rebuilt Engines And Rebuilt Transmissions For Your Cars, Trucks Engine, Diesels Engines, Boats Engines

Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by phil6608
Here ya go.
Found this site. They sell factory built engines!
Check them out and get a quote to see how much they are.
I didn't bother getting a quote because it would most likely be different depending on your location.
2003 Ford Engines Rebuilt Engine and Transmission Remanufactured, Used, New Engines, Rebuilt Engines And Rebuilt Transmissions For Your Cars, Trucks Engine, Diesels Engines, Boats Engines
Thanks Phil, I submitted a quote request. I called a local engine machine shop that rebuilds all the engines for the local dealerships: Ford, GM, Chryler, etc. He said the 03' would not work with the 98' truck, saying the sensors including the 4 oxygen sensors are different on the 03' than the 98'. I told him of the numerous swaps I've heard about and about getting my 98' cpu flashed for an 03" he then kind of said oh' maybe it would, & sounded not sure if he agreed or not. His shop is a member of all the affiliated machining organizations and he sounded up to date on all the update these engine are mandated for. I'm going to talk to a couple of Ford A-techs / master mechanics and see what they say about the interchangeability / compatibility of the two year models, flashing and all? You can never ask enough questions in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
LOL,
Them kind of guys have no clue when it comes to putting a motor from a different year or one out of another kind of truck in your truck.

Ask them if you can put a Lightning motor and trans in a stock F-150.

Quick Reply: Engine swap, new old?