1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Headliner replacement

Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 PM
ebodell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headliner replacement

Ok, I only paid $600 for my F150 in December of this year so it is somewhat "cosmetically challenged". I am slowly working on improving it and a couple of weeks ago decided that while I can appreciate the custom "tuck and roll" headliner treatment the PO performed to keep the material from falling on his head it was time for a change.

I searched online and found a site; "stockinteriors.com". I sent away for some free samples so that I could choose the correct fabric color. These guys let you get up to 5 samples free of charge prior to ordering anything; kind of a good deal if your fabric is so badly faded that you have no idea what color is was. I matched one of the swatches I got to a small piece of the existing liner that was tucked up under the trim. For about $30 plus shipping a purchased a kit that included the foam backed fabric and adhesive. It showed up in about 5 days rolled around a heavy cardboard tube so there were no wrinkles to deal with.

First I pulled all the upper trim moldings and carefully removed the headliner out the passenger door. I placed it across a couple of sawhorses and used a simple scrub brush to remove the remaining foam and adhesive from the cardboard liner itself.

I had one corner that was torn so I repaired it with masking tape.

Next, I enlisted the help of my wife (and yes we are still married), and we started by liberally spraying one third of the headliner with adhesive. After allowing the adhesive to tack dry for a couple of minutes (per the instructions on the can) we placed the material on the headliner board stretching it as we laid it down. We then proceeded to spray the middle third of the headliner and lay material down (again stretching it as we went)

Finally we covered the final third of the board and let it dry for about an hour.

After it dried, I trimmed it such that about one inch of material will be folded up under the headliner when I re-install it in the truck.

All in all it only took us about an hour to do the entire job including cleaning the board, repairing the corner, and laying the fabric down. It seems to be a two person job though (one to hold the fabric down and one to pull and stretch it down to the contours of the liner). So far I am very pleased with the results. The true test will be during the hot and humid Iowa summer. It was actually quite easy to complete this little project and not really that expensive. Once I get the interior trim painted up I will then move on to the exterior of the truck which will be a much more involved job.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
Looks good. Be glad your wife will help you with truck projects, mine won't. I think shes afraid she'll break a nail or something.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 PM
oif4bill
New User
Looks really nice. I got some material for my truck this weekend...very similar, but I picked it up from a fabric store. Good post!

Bill

Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
ebodell
Senior User
Thanks billt28 and oif4bill,
My wife is pretty good sport regarding the derelict vehicles I drag home. I enlist her help quite a bit and she rarely complains. As long as she does not have to drive them she is fine with it.
I once bought a county orange Dodge D150 on Mother's Day. That was pushing it some. We drove up to it and her only words were "You bought that?!?". Good thing it started and ran as she dropped me off at the curb and headed back home which was 30 miles away. Probably not the smartest move I ever made.

I looked for fabric locally but had no luck. I live in small town in rural IA so I end up getting quite a bit of stuff off the web. The advantage is that we have no emmisions here and since I live out in the country I can park whatever I want in my driveway without worrying about offending anyone (except my wife).

Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ebodell
Thanks billt28 and oif4bill,
My wife is pretty good sport regarding the derelict vehicles I drag home. I enlist her help quite a bit and she rarely complains. As long as she does not have to drive them she is fine with it.
I once bought a county orange Dodge D150 on Mother's Day. That was pushing it some. We drove up to it and her only words were "You bought that?!?". Good thing it started and ran as she dropped me off at the curb and headed back home which was 30 miles away. Probably not the smartest move I ever made.

I looked for fabric locally but had no luck. I live in small town in rural IA so I end up getting quite a bit of stuff off the web. The advantage is that we have no emmisions here and since I live out in the country I can park whatever I want in my driveway without worrying about offending anyone (except my wife).
Buy her some blinders for mothers day.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice writeup and pictures of the process.