Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009+ F150 Discuss the 2009 through 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2014, 12:25 PM
New User

Dirtrag99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2005 F150 FX4 5.4 is in the shop for head repair and the shop told me they are going to install Champion 515 in place of the motorcraft presently in it. They apparently, according to the shop tech, have had way much better luck with the Champions as opposed to the motorcraft. The engine (truck) has 114500 miles on it. I was going to install some E-3s that I had but was advised against it. I wonder why? The E-3 is a one piece as opposed to the dreaded 2 piece. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM
New User

marksp is starting off with a positive reputation.
2 piece spark plug

As far as a repllacement plug, as long as you put nickel anti-seize on the new plugs they will come out much easier in the future. I would also replace them a little earlier as far as mileage. I have heard nothing good about E3 plugs including my own experience with them in numerous vehicles.....stick with either OEM Motorcraft or Champion plugs.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM
New User

Worththewait is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guys,

I was told by the dealer that it was a $500.00 job to replace the plugs. I told them they were nuts and was going to do it myself. The Service Manager told me not to try it myself because the plugs get stuck in the block and because they break off and fall into the cylinder. When I got home I looked at my trusty Haynes manual and this is what it states "Ford has issued TSB 08-7-6 stateing that attempting to remove the spake plugs is likely to result in extended electrode breaking off in the cylinder head" It goes on further to explain this is for engine builds before 10/07.

I have been changing spark plugs on my own vehicles for ever, this is the first time I am a little nervous. I have a 2010 with a 5.4 should I be concerned or what? Any thoughts?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:43 PM
New User

red89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ah excuse my ignorance guys,seeing that any late model effie is as scarce as hens teeth and worth a small fortune out here in australia,what does a 2 piece spark plug look like,they sound like they are a real pain in the A.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Resident smarta$$

D8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to behold
tim.burke.167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worththewait View Post
Guys,

I was told by the dealer that it was a $500.00 job to replace the plugs. I told them they were nuts and was going to do it myself. The Service Manager told me not to try it myself because the plugs get stuck in the block and because they break off and fall into the cylinder. When I got home I looked at my trusty Haynes manual and this is what it states "Ford has issued TSB 08-7-6 stateing that attempting to remove the spake plugs is likely to result in extended electrode breaking off in the cylinder head" It goes on further to explain this is for engine builds before 10/07.

I have been changing spark plugs on my own vehicles for ever, this is the first time I am a little nervous. I have a 2010 with a 5.4 should I be concerned or what? Any thoughts?
According to the thread the plug design was changed mid-year 08 to a 1 piece design. I would take that as they will not break since they are no longer the 2 piece design, however I haven't changed plugs in mine yet. I will more than likely do mine myself when I'm closer to 100K
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Elder User

mike460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worththewait View Post
Guys,

I was told by the dealer that it was a $500.00 job to replace the plugs. I told them they were nuts and was going to do it myself. The Service Manager told me not to try it myself because the plugs get stuck in the block and because they break off and fall into the cylinder. When I got home I looked at my trusty Haynes manual and this is what it states "Ford has issued TSB 08-7-6 stateing that attempting to remove the spark plugs is likely to result in extended electrode breaking off in the cylinder head" It goes on further to explain this is for engine builds before 10/07.

Do it yourself. The 2010 has the revised plug and it is easy easy easy. Literally got done less than half an hour ago with my 2010 Expedition with 90k miles. Took 55 minutes from opening the toolbox to everything put up and hands clean. The passenger side is a smidge easier than the drivers side to me at least.....it was pretty tough gettin the torque wrench in on the drivers side. I bought Motorcraft plugs on Rockauto for like $65. No way I'd pay anybody more than $100 for labor on a 09 up 5.4. $500 even with parts is ludicrous.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:58 PM
New User

Worththewait is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Mike460 good to know. I will update when I do them.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM
New User

Cruiser64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought I read somewhere that when they changed the plug design they also changed the color of the cop. Can anyone help clear my head on this? Something about either a black cop or possibly a brown cop but can't remember which was good.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150

Tags
2009, 2piece, 54, changing, chips, computer, engines, f150, ford, ltr, plugs, replace, replacement, replacing, spark, v8, years