Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99.5 7.3l hard start

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 AM
bren7176
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99.5 7.3l hard start

Okay here we go again. so I still been having a hard start problem. If i plug it in it starts no problem. Yes the glow plugs are working I checked and all 8 are new the relay is new . Ive unplugged the sensors talk about in other threads . So do you think it could be bad injectors not actuating with cold oil? Ive also checked the ihop reservoir it is not leaking down. So it runs fine when started well after it warms up but until then I get like a misfire it feels , so Im at the idea I have worn injectors . Also when its cold "not plugged in" It will take forever to start if it does and its taking a while for white smoke to come out the tail pipe when cranking .Its building oil pressure as it shows on the gauge .the tach is also moving so the cps is working . SO any input will appreciated IS the anyone in the sullivian or delaware county ny that had a AE that could help me out with that .... or the surrounding area

thanks
Brendan

Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 AM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would check the gp ohms thru the uvch under the valve cover make sure its connected good.if all the gp are working that thing will fire right up.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also check your IPR (maybe a loose nut)... and ICP sensor..(may have in oil leaking into the ICP connector)
When did you change your oil last ?.. also switching to syn 5W40 like Rotella helps alot on cold starts..

Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
bren7176
Senior User
icp is new , Ill check the Ipr again but last time i looked it was tight . the truck has syn in it already ..Gp ohm out fine. uvch is connected and working. Like i said it acting like its getting now fuel or the injectors are taking forever to open up. What I realy need is a person with a AE in the local area to give me a and out and do a buzz test when the engine is cold .. any takers ?? Im in Walton NY......

thanks

Brendan

Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
Also check your IPR (maybe a loose nut)... and ICP sensor..(may have in oil leaking into the ICP connector)
When did you change your oil last ?.. also switching to syn 5W40 like Rotella helps alot on cold starts..
Not to highjack but what is the IPR and the ICP? Where are they located?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IPR (Injector Pressure Regulator) is located on bottom driver side of the HPOP (HighPressre Oil Pump). HPOP is under the Fuel Bowl.

ICP (Injector Control Pressure Sensor) is mounted on driver side head.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
IPR (Injector Pressure Regulator) is located on bottom driver side of the HPOP (HighPressre Oil Pump). HPOP is under the Fuel Bowl.

ICP (Injector Control Pressure Sensor) is mounted on driver side head.

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the information.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 AM
bren7176
Senior User
You think maybe a sticking IPR could be causing all the problems?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
bren7176
Senior User
I did forget o mention the truck has a tuner in and at stock it will run rough and misfire and takes longer to start "when plugged in" Okay if you turn the tuner all the way up it runs great and will start faster no misfire . so im back to thinking its the injectors going bad, still looking for someone with a AE in NY near me that can help out ... and yes i have removed the tuner and still the same, any help this is my main transportation for me and my family.....

Brendan

Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Maybe start a new thread "Requesting someone in your area with a AE or good scanner to reads your fault codes".. It is a good way to pin point problems on these engines..

Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by bren7176
I did forget o mention the truck has a tuner in and at stock it will run rough and misfire and takes longer to start "when plugged in" Okay if you turn the tuner all the way up it runs great and will start faster no misfire . so im back to thinking its the injectors going bad, still looking for someone with a AE in NY near me that can help out ... and yes i have removed the tuner and still the same, any help this is my main transportation for me and my family.....

Brendan
Well, this describes exactly how my early bird acted prior to new injectors. It was a pain to start, didn't really smoke while trying, would run rough for a few minutes... then smooth out and run fine the rest of the day. Same for the chip too. Maybe there is a greater command for fuel. I upgraded to Swamps AD rebuilds and all is good with the world. (like two years ago) The inards were just worn out.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 AM
fast_st
Senior User
I'd hate to ask but what's your cranking voltage? Mine started to get harder and harder, cranking longer each time. Turns out the batteries were on the express bus out of town. I was seeing my system voltage drop down below 10 volts.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fast_st
I'd hate to ask but what's your cranking voltage? Mine started to get harder and harder, cranking longer each time. Turns out the batteries were on the express bus out of town. I was seeing my system voltage drop down below 10 volts.
Yes, that is a good point and something real easy check.. battery condition is real important. I think you can go a little below 10 volts however.. Mine starts quickly at about 9.4 volts..
This is what i use to monitor the voltage. I leave it plugged in all the time.. It also checks my glow plug system..I can see it when it is on and when it turns off..
http://www.amazon.com/Vector-VEC008-...1325735&sr=8-8

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM
fast_st
Senior User
Which power outlet do you plug it into? I find that my two power outlets have a different voltage and the difference is pretty constant, half a volt or so.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fast_st
Which power outlet do you plug it into? I find that my two power outlets have a different voltage and the difference is pretty constant, half a volt or so.
That is strange.. they should be the same.. I just double checked both of my sockets, and they are both reading 12.5 volts.

Quick Reply: 99.5 7.3l hard start