1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need to replace my unit bearing or wheel hub bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
rbsample
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace my unit bearing or wheel hub bearing?

I have searched FTE and much to my surprise I cannot find a whole lot of info on replacing this part that some call a unit bearing and others call the wheel hub bearing.

I have been listening to a dull bearing groan for a week now and finally last night the ABS light came on. I read on one thread that when the unit bearing goes out it will take the ABS sensor with it.

I have lifted the front end up three different times now but still cannot get the tire to move left to right or up and down. This morning when I got home, I took the wheel off, removed the brake set-up and spun the hub by hand thinking I may be able to hear something but couldn't. I also greased the unit through the abs sensor hole but still heard the same noise all day today.

I also read on another thread that the bearing could be shot and you may not get any movement out of a bad unit?

What do you guys think?

If I have to replace the unit bearing what have guys been using?
Is Timken the brand to use? I think this is the Ford OEM unit?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I still haven't updated my thread yet because I need new camera batteries, I want to add pics. Anyways Rob, I went with Rock-Auto's Timken unit 515020 course thread studs but found out mine was fine thread, so yours might be also, not a big deal, just popped out the original studs and replaced.. Another thing, make sure to read the discriptions of each hub, 4 wheel ABS, 2 wheel, 4x4, exct. I think you'll need the 515201 unit, if you need it, read up some more.. I had mine done for 60.00 bucks, couldn't pass that up. Click here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...?a=ford-trucks

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM
rbsample
Senior User
Thanks Mike! Good chattin' with ya' again!!!

I figured by the looks of things that Timken was the way to go, or maybe the only way to go?

Do I need anything else like sealant or anything?

Also, it looks like the abs sensor is included, is that correct?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Night Crawler
Senior User
H
Originally Posted by big poppa
I still haven't updated my thread yet because I need new camera batteries, I want to add pics. Anyways Rob, I went with Rock-Auto's Timken unit 515020 course thread studs but found out mine was fine thread, so yours might be also, not a big deal, just popped out the original studs and replaced.. Another thing, make sure to read the discriptions of each hub, 4 wheel ABS, 2 wheel, 4x4, exct. I think you'll need the 515201 unit, if you need it, read up some more.. I had mine done for 60.00 bucks, couldn't pass that up. Click here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...?a=ford-trucks
Had what done for $60 bucks? the hubs are $200 and some change per side just did mine monday, hour and half and done

Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rbsample
Thanks Mike! Good chattin' with ya' again!!!

I figured by the looks of things that Timken was the way to go, or maybe the only way to go?

Do I need anything else like sealant or anything?

Also, it looks like the abs sensor is included, is that correct?
No sealant, looks like just cleaning everything up then greasing up the bearings and applying a thin coat of grease to the yellow o-ring and install. Check out Guzzles maintence and mods for that job.

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
H
Had what done for $60 bucks? the hubs are $200 and some change per side just did mine monday, hour and half and done
Bought the hub from Rock-Auto and had a shop down the street install it for me. With my Mom in and out of the hospital, well, 2 hour drives both ways, work, kids, exct, no time.