Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Elder User

70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.
Not really... Most import engines with a timing belt will bend valves if the belt breaks. It's the nature of the beast and the SOHC engine had some teething problems when it was introduced in 97 and Ford did extend the warranty on them. Now they are pretty solid with hundreds of thousands of them running on the road. If you had the engine out to replace the right cassette you should have had all of them replaced. There are several special tools that must be used to time the cams properly. There is also a specific procedure that if not followed can allow one or both cams to move out of time. Hopefully whoever you have working on the engine knows what they are doing.
Every 5.4 3V owner should have Lisle tool #65600
8L3Z-6M280-B updated VCT solenoids for 5.4 3V rattle
Old 12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
New User

Winningpoint is starting off with a positive reputation.
Similar Problem

I'm having a similar problem. I have 2009 Explorer and it is in the shop for a cracked valve cover. It must be the one on the passenger side, because that is where the oil and smoke are showing up. I was told that the reason the valve cover cracked could be that the aftermarket oil filters may not have the by-pass valve that allows oil to flow when the filter is 100% clogged. This truck has NEVER missed a service. Does this make sense to any of y'all? I would expect it on a vehicle with 150,000 miles, but this one is at 45,000. It sounds like a defect to me. What say you?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Junior User

jayton4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
James Ayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winningpoint View Post
I'm having a similar problem. I have 2009 Explorer and it is in the shop for a cracked valve cover. It must be the one on the passenger side, because that is where the oil and smoke are showing up. I was told that the reason the valve cover cracked could be that the aftermarket oil filters may not have the by-pass valve that allows oil to flow when the filter is 100% clogged. This truck has NEVER missed a service. Does this make sense to any of y'all? I would expect it on a vehicle with 150,000 miles, but this one is at 45,000. It sounds like a defect to me. What say you?
You should start a new topic instead of hijacking this thread.

It is always a good idea to stick with the Motorcraft oil filters because of the drainback valve. The drainback valve is for stopping the oil from draining back into the oil pan. The valve closes off, allowing oil to flow out, but not back in. This is so that your cams and stuff up top are not dry when you go to start the engine.

The thing about having a bypass valve allowing the oil to flow when it is 100% clogged sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me.

Also how any of this is related to a broken valve cover sounds like a bunch of nonsense. I think that the cause of your broken valve cover is from something else, but I could be wrong.
1996 Ford Mustang GT Conv. - Stock, 14.683 1/4 mile ET, 206.1 rwhp - Currently in storage
2001 BMW 325i Saloon - Wife's daily driver
1993 Mercury Grand Marquis - Backup car
Old 12-24-2011, 12:04 PM
New User

Cracked Valve Cover

It turns out the cracked cover was on the driver's side. I guess the oil was blowing across and back to end up on the oil filter. I checked with my garage and they do use a filter with the valve in it so even IF that were to be the cause, it isn't. I think the darn thing was torqued incorrectly from the factory, but can't prove it. There was nothing else wrong (like a cracked cassette) nor was there ever any warning lights. It never ran roughly or lost power. It's fixed now, and not leaking. Of course when I picked it up it had a shiny new sheet metal screw in the left rear...

Probably should have been a warranty issue. It's a company vehicle, so I didn't have to pay for the work (close to $800) but still annoys me.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:06 PM
New User

Hi-jacking the thread

Sorry about that, I didn't intend to. I wasn't the first, though.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM
New User

Wanna B GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastback4 View Post
It is poor engineering that would have a timing chain guide wear out and break bending engine valves, sending debris thru the valve cover and hot oil onto a hot engine. My neighbors 2003 Explorer 4.0 at 131,000 miles did just that 2 months ago, as well as 2 of my employees 2003 4.0. All 3 owners 4.0 engines were damaged and all within 2,000 odometer miles of each vehical on the same side of the engine same place at the valve cover...Of course i love my 2003, 225,000 mile 6.0 Ford 250 diesel......lol

Thank you fastback 4 for explaining that to some that does not get the concept of bad engineering on cheaply made parts made of plastic, which is why the new upgraded tensioners are made of a more durable nylon that will withstand the friction of the chain. Geez, some people just don't get it.

Thanks again,
Wanna B GT
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
2004, 40, cam, cover, covers, cracked, explorer, ford, jb, leak, oil, overheated, sport, trac, valve, weld