Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd to 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
SquattingBear
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd to 4wd?

I found a truck on craigslist with everything i am looking for, but its 2wd. Can i turn it into a 4wd. On a jeep forum some guys spent $800 making his jeep liberty a 4x4. And he bought alot of his parts online,so shipping prices were involved. And im pretty sure i can get this truck for 1100-1200.

Should i snag it, or just wait and buy a 4x4?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by SquattingBear
I found a truck on craigslist with everything i am looking for, but its 2wd. Can i turn it into a 4wd. On a jeep forum some guys spent $800 making his jeep liberty a 4x4. And he bought alot of his parts online,so shipping prices were involved. And im pretty sure i can get this truck for 1100-1200.

Should i snag it, or just wait and buy a 4x4?
That swap is done all the time. Is it a half ton or bigger? A lot of it depends on your mechanic skills and budget really. Search the forums for 4x4 swap or similar and see what comes up, I remember several threads that were practically step by step with photos.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM
SquattingBear
Junior User
Its a 1993 f150 with a 302, and is automatic. But the guy said the tranny is bad, i kinda wanted to go through it and see if it was salvagable. I saw a thread with a link to a guys write up on increasing tranny performance. And i believe it has the same tranny.

My mechanical skill level = Putting a 2" lift kit in my mom and dads jeep, and me and my dad both worked on it. But if it helps at all im in auto tech 1 at school, lol.

I also built the computer im on right now. It's a beast. But im sure you guys wont marvel at the technical skill required to build a computer....

Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Its a 1993 f150 with a 302, and is automatic. But the guy said the tranny is bad, i kinda wanted to go through it and see if it was salvagable. I saw a thread with a link to a guys write up on increasing tranny performance. And i believe it has the same tranny.

My mechanical skill level = Putting a 2" lift kit in my mom and dads jeep, and me and my dad both worked on it. But if it helps at all im in auto tech 1 at school, lol.

I also built the computer im on right now. It's a beast. But im sure you guys wont marvel at the technical skill required to build a computer....
Actually, I would lol. I'm on my gaming pc I built myself. If it were me, and I did it before so from my own experience, I'd find a solid 4x4 in the body style your wanting. Your going to have to swap a trans with a t/case anyway, along with changing out most of the front end. I had a solid 4x4 running gear and strong engine but rotted body, so I found a blown up 2wd with a good body and transplanted it onto the 4wd frame.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
SquattingBear
Junior User
I think im gonna pick it up, because its cheap and it has 103k miles.

And ill keep looking around on craigslist. And find another cheap 4x4. Ones bound to pop up. Then i can use 1 for daily driver, and one for fun. Or i could just be the only 2wd out at uwharrie. Or i could sell one, but looking around on here, tons of people seem to regret selling their first vehicle lol...

What are the specs on your computer?
Ive got:
Intel sandy bridge 2500k
500g WD HDD (with a 300g HDD from the computer that died that this one i built had to replace)
Windows 7
asrock extreme4 mobo
msi n460gtx
650w power supply
4g of g.skill ram
in a haf-922 case

Last edited by SquattingBear; 03-22-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: forgot some comp parts
Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM
SquattingBear
Junior User
I was gonna list it on craigslist to see the offers i got.
Had an idea that someone would offer 2k for what i built for 1k. Lol, but then it asked for my phone number and i didnt feel like doing all that.

Craigslist side job anyone???

Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

I think im gonna pick it up, because its cheap and it has 103k miles.

And ill keep looking around on craigslist. And find another cheap 4x4. Ones bound to pop up. Then i can use 1 for daily driver, and one for fun. Or i could just be the only 2wd out at uwharrie. Or i could sell one, but looking around on here, tons of people seem to regret selling their first vehicle lol...

What are the specs on your computer?
Ive got:
Intel sandy bridge 2500k
500g WD HDD (with a 300g HDD from the computer that died that this one i built had to replace)
Windows 7
asrock extreme4 mobo
msi n460gtx
650w power supply
4g of g.skill ram
in a haf-922 case
Intel core2 quad oc'd to 2.8, 4gb GSkill, two 9800gtx oc'd SLI. Not the best of the best but only cost me $600.

Back on topic though, last weeks trader paper in my area had over 30 Ford trucks of dif shapes and sizes from 78 to 96 for $3000 or less.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 PM
SquattingBear
Junior User
I forgot about those. I really need to get out of the house more...
I guess i can pick one up at bloom/food lion, down the street.
Thanks for reminding me, havent seen one in like 3 years.