'99 Ranger - Parts for Hub & Wheel Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
MN_FarmBoy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 Ranger - Parts for Hub & Wheel Bearing Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to the forum. This site is amazing with all of its content. Thank you to everyone who contributes.

I need a little help on a repair. I have a '99 Ranger 4X4 with four wheel ABS. It has 121,000 miles on it. The dealer said that there is starting to be some play (top to bottom) in the right front wheel and suggested changing the hub and bearing assembly. I have read up on the instructions posted on here, but have a few more questions.

The instructions seem a little more involved for the '99 with the vacuum hubs versus some of the newer Rangers, but I have some friends who can be persuaded to give me some help on this.

Here are my questions:

1. The instructions say to purchase the following three new parts when doing the replacement - A) axle shaft retainer ring, B) o-ring, and C) thrust washer. Which of these do I really need and could someone give me the Ford part numbers to purchase? I have already ordered the hub/bearing assembly.

2. When do these bearing typically fail? Again, I have about 121,000 on the truck, and the dealer said that the right side has some play in it but the left side is tight. Should I just replace both sides while I am at it?

3. Does anyone have any other tips to make the job easier or things to make sure NOT to do (for those who have already done this). I didn't plan on purchasing any special tools as I think between my friends we can come up with enough tools to get the job done.

Thank you for your input.

-Marcus

Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Dutter
Elder User
Well the only tool u may have to buy or barrow would be for the nut or nuts for you wheel bearing, But thats only a maybe it depends on what style you got, And with the parts list, if there cheap and if you got the money then go ahead and get them but the only one that im pretty sher u would need would be the washer and the maybe the clips. And look if you dont know how to pack bearings look it up on Utube because thats a MUST and the once you do pake in some more. And then theres the proses of getting the bear and grease worked in once all the new stuff is in, Now i dont know what kind on locking set up u got but ill give the basics, tighten the nut then spin it front ward and back at least 8 time both ways, then loosen it back up, and then just finger tighten it wile ur turning it, then there eather a locking nut of key u put in, but then run it up and down the street then check them again. And id just replace the one if the other is still good but it dosnt hurt to do both

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MN_FarmBoy
...The dealer said that there is starting to be some play (top to bottom) in the right front wheel and suggested changing the hub and bearing assembly.
In my experience, when a dealer starts using phrases like "starting to be" and begins "suggesting" repairs, then it's time to get a second opinion.

I would not even mess with things unless you have no 4WD on demand, or some other sort of front driveline issue.

The '98-'00 Ranger does indeed use a Pulse Vacuum Hublock (PVH) arrangement. The traditional "cleaning and packing" of the bearings is not an option. Which is why the AVM hubs are a popular swap.

Most PVH problems stem from vacuum leaks. The AVM hubs remove the vacuum component and replace it with a manual engagement process.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
MN_FarmBoy
New User
Thank you for the responses, guys.

I am going to put the truck on a jack this weekend and check the amount of play myself. What would be a safe (not fix it) tolerance?

Also, if I do go ahead and do the fix, does anyone have responses to my questions in the first post?

Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thank you for the responses, guys.

I am going to put the truck on a jack this weekend and check the amount of play myself. What would be a safe (not fix it) tolerance?

Also, if I do go ahead and do the fix, does anyone have responses to my questions in the first post?

Thanks again!
You might find THIS article helpful.

Not sure about the tolerance, but like I mentioned, if your 4x4 is engaging/disengaging OK and you aren't hearing any noises out at the wheel ends, then the factory bearings are most likely fine.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
IF NEW HUB/BEARINGS ARE NEEDED, HERE IS MY SUGGESTION

TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN, TIMKIN,

Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 AM
MN_FarmBoy
New User
Guys - thanks again for the responses.

The 4x4 is engaging just fine, and I'm not hearing any noises. I did check yesterday (myself) and there is some play (top to bottom) on the right wheel. The left side is tight.

I guess I'll probably leave this as is for now. I'll visit another location for my next oil change and see if they say anything.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Guys - thanks again for the responses.

The 4x4 is engaging just fine, and I'm not hearing any noises. I did check yesterday (myself) and there is some play (top to bottom) on the right wheel. The left side is tight.

I guess I'll probably leave this as is for now. I'll visit another location for my next oil change and see if they say anything.
if you have play from 12 and 6 O clock.......that is usually the ball joints..........the right side of the vehicle usually take the most beating..............moog PS, moog PS, moog PS

Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
You might find THIS article helpful.

Not sure about the tolerance, but like I mentioned, if your 4x4 is engaging/disengaging OK and you aren't hearing any noises out at the wheel ends, then the factory bearings are most likely fine.
Rockledge, again you are awesome. I was looking for how hard working on the front wheel bearing on my ranger was going to be. Now I see that I will just have to replace it. With your link I see how easy it will be Thanks