1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

HID Headlight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 AM
kellens
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear lenses may be an improvement over diffuser lenses but either way when you stick and HID bulb in a halogen housing you will get a scattered beam and lots of glare that is very distracting to other drivers.

The only safe and effective way to get HID lighting on a vehicle that came from the factory with halogen is to do what is called an HID retrofit which, in short, involves sourcing actual HID projectors, splitting open the stock halogen housing, mounting the HID projector inside, and then resealing the stock housing.

When done properly the results will match the incredible light output of vehicles factory equipped with HID lights and will also be safe to use on the road. The quality of light will be much better than any plug and play "bare HID bulb in a halogen housing" type of conversion. Anyone who has experienced driving both factory HID equipped vehicles and those with plug and play conversions can attest to this.

Here is a great example of the proper way of converting to HID lighting. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...-retrofit.html

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
My truck was 8.5' from the garage door, the center of the beam is at 41".

Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Chase i thought you were supposed to be 20ft from the wall? and is 41" the recommended hieght?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungFordAddict66
Chase i thought you were supposed to be 20ft from the wall? and is 41" the recommended hieght?
You're asking the wrong dude, on both questions. Someone wanted some pics and I snapped that one. If I need to snap another one I can.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Truck Paradise
Senior User
Those don't look too scattered. Of course, you'll never get this with fluted lenses.

It's tough to tell with a pic that close but I would say that aiming them down a bit would help a bunch.

If they look like this far away, forget about it and take them out until you have better lenses.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 PM
boxwrenchesareslow
Junior User
41s not a reccomended height, it depends how tall you truck is. aim it at a wall on level ground and just make sure their a little lower then the height of you headlights so the have a downward angle to them..thats wat i do

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Truck Paradise
Those don't look too scattered. Of course, you'll never get this with fluted lenses.

It's tough to tell with a pic that close but I would say that aiming them down a bit would help a bunch.

If they look like this far away, forget about it and take them out until you have better lenses.

Sorry I do not know how exactly to post pictures to this post, computers came after my time so I will us the above pictures as an example.

To properly adjust headlights you want to park your truck on level ground so that the front of the headlight is exactly 25' from a wall with it's typical load in the truck and 1/2 full fuel tanks. Measure the distance from the ground to the center focal point of the light directly in front of the bumper and subtract 2". This will be the center point of your headlights at 25'.

In my case the center point of the headlight is 42" off the ground in front of the bumper. I had to turn the adjusters 1 1/2 full turns down to get to 40" at 25'. When I switched to the 55w HID's the focal point on the new bulbs was the equivalent to the old Halogen Hi-Beams. I actually lowered them a little bit more to 39 1/2" to the center of the beam as that was the point at which the cut off of the upper beam height no longer looked annoying to small vehicles.

My stock lenses are much closer to the upper picture than the lower picture above. Not quite as sharp a line but nothing like the lower picture. The cut off line is level across the top with the left being slightly lower than the right. There is no scatter like the lower photo. The beam pattern is very similar to my wife's stock HID's on her Volvo only a little brighter being 55w instead of 35w bulbs. My lenses are still perfectly clear, unclouded and unscratched.

I have not had any more vehicles flash me since readjusting the new HID's and the street signs are no longer reflect blinding light like they did when the lights were left at the stock halogen bulb adjustment. I found that if your stock lenses are in excellent shape and you get a good high quality HID lighting system and everything is adjusted properly it works just fine. If your lenses are clouded and scratched and create a lot of scatter like the lower picture there are some clear aftermarket lenses specifically designed for HID's on the market to replace them.